Eric Comrie signed

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Sure could if he'd sign for $650,000, not so much at $4.1 M. Then we'd just have to give someone else away that we need every night.
We've got 10.2M space with only MoJo to sign? We couldve handled one more year of Mason, signed Armia and kept the picks and not signed Brossoit

Brominator

Sep 12, 2009
WPG
We've got 10.2M space with only MoJo to sign? We couldve handled one more year of Mason, signed Armia and kept the picks and not signed Brossoit

If we end up signing Morrissey long term, he'll be a 4-5 million hit. Add Mason at 4.1M and Armia at 1.85 M and we're at or above the cap. Gotta have room to make some moves at the deadline too...

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
He looked terrible at both levels last year, but I haven't given up on him yet .

We should have jettisoned Mason earlier and kept Hutch as our backup. I’m pretty sad he’s gone.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018

I said from the beginning and still stand by it that the Mason move was purely to make room for Stastny, not for this year’s cap control.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I see Brominator responded but here is a little more detail. As of this moment we have $10,239,170 in cap space with a 21 person roster. Next you have to account for $3,712,500 in performance bonuses. Since most of it goes to Laine and Connor, and they easily achieved them last season it would only be prudent to expect them to do so again this season. That leaves you with $6,526,670.

On top of Morrissey we are still 1 short for a full 23 man roster. Cap Friendly still has both Petan and Vesalainen as non-roster players (I'm guessing because they are both on 2 way contracts). One of them will be on the roster, so lets take the cheapest one in Petan and add in his $874,125. Now you are at $5,652,545. Most people peg a long term Morrissey contract close to that number. If you add Mason in over Brossoit or Comrie and Armia instead of Petan or Dano you'd be left with $1 m and change under the cap, not even close to enough for a short term Morrissey bridge deal, never mind a long term deal.

It is fair to argue the salary cutting should have come from somewhere else, but it had to come from somewhere and an expensive backup seems like a good spot to start.

Reactions: Brominator

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I said from the beginning and still stand by it that the Mason move was purely to make room for Stastny, not for this year’s cap control.
You'd be wrong. At the time Chevy indicated that signing Stastny would have required further cost cutting. Assuming we sign Morrissey long term it would have taken another $5-5.5 M worth of cost cutting. A bridge deal probably another $3-4 M.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Do the Jets have a specific person that deals with the cap and how to handle it or is it done by a group approach?
Larry Simmons their Vice President & Assistant General Manager is the cap guy and does the down and dirty contract work. Though I'd imagine the overall cap structure decisions are lead by Chevy.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
We should have jettisoned Mason earlier and kept Hutch as our backup. I’m pretty sad he’s gone.

Could have played Hutch like crazy before the all-star break, then leaned on Helly after it when he's daisy fresh.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Just a matter of dotting the tees and crossing the eyes
Oh boy cilantro again :laugh:

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011
Yup and we are really going to miss Armia.He leaves a bigger hole then people think.Big body that does a little bit of everything and still had some offensive upside he played most of the year injured I am still pissed about the move.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Yup and we are really going to miss Armia.He leaves a bigger hole then people think.Big body that does a little bit of everything and still had some offensive upside he played most of the year injured I am still pissed about the move.
I might miss Avgard the most if he move to the Habs board ;) Those boys wont know what hit them.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I might miss Avgard the most if he move to the Habs board ;) Those boys wont know what hit them.

I'm sure the Hockey Professor can mystify more than one team's board simultaneously. Pretty sure some of his stuff is recyclable. :laugh:

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Pretty sure some of his stuff is recyclable

As in... :laugh:

tumblr_mu2x4epaNq1s02vreo1_r1_400.gif

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
You'd be wrong. At the time Chevy indicated that signing Stastny would have required further cost cutting. Assuming we sign Morrissey long term it would have taken another $5-5.5 M worth of cost cutting. A bridge deal probably another $3-4 M.

Yeah another player would have been moved for sure, probably Perreault.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Could have played Hutch like crazy before the all-star break, then leaned on Helly after it when he's daisy fresh.

Unless you are talking about the Moose I don’t see that happening .......Maurice seemed to lose faith in Hutch along the way and unless and unless there was a coaching change or an injury to Helle Hutch was not getting a big workload for the Jets. Maurice is old School and Helle is getting 65-67 games per season come hell or high water.

The relationship with the Jets seemed to sour and Michael owned his half of it. I thought he had a great stretch with the Moose last season but if he wants to be in the NHL I think he needed a fresh start.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad