Proposal: Eric Comrie for a 4th round pick

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If you think that a team will trade a first or second round pick for Comrie, you have no idea what the market is for mediocre goalies. We would be very lucky to get a 4th round pick for him.

So, there is no good reason to trade him then.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Irrespective of how any other player played, we got a performance out of Comrie that wasn't just below NHL average, it was below AHL replacement average. Two goals went in on gaffes that we'd count as errors in baseball and on average, breakaways are still significant underdogs to get scored on, so going 0-for-3 on then doesn't get washed away by "but they were breakaways".

Having said that, I have no idea what the market is like for young goalies that seem to be wetting the bed a lot in the NHL, but just because I respect Chevy's chops, I think he gets more than a 4th for Comrie.

The goalie didn't give up 6 goals. The team gave up 6 goals.

@AlphaLackey said it best. The team didn’t play good but let’s not act like Comrie should get a free pass because of it.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
This topic is seriously ridiculous. Jets as a team just got their collective asses handed to them but blame 1 guy? Embarrassing.
Pretty much the entire team sucked but every time the Jets started to build something Comrie allowed another goal including a couple of really putrid ones. He was not good.

Not fair to blame it on him but he has not been good in the NHL so far. Too early to start talking about trading him for a 4th though.

Comparing him to Helle last year is kind of silly. He had his struggles last season but was also brilliant. We haven't seen that at all from Comrie.

I still wish we would have gotten a legit backup for the playoff run. None of our 3 options has inspired much confidence for a variety of reasons.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
@AlphaLackey said it best. The team didn’t play good but let’s not act like Comrie should get a free pass because of it.

I don't agree that Comrie was - that - bad. He was bad but he was no worse than any other player on the Jets last night.

Pretty much the entire team sucked but every time the Jets started to build something Comrie allowed another goal including a couple of really putrid ones. He was not good.

Not fair to blame it on him but he has not been good in the NHL so far. Too early to start talking about trading him for a 4th though.

Comparing him to Helle last year is kind of silly. He had his struggles last season but was also brilliant. We haven't seen that at all from Comrie.

I still wish we would have gotten a legit backup for the playoff run. None of our 3 options has inspired much confidence for a variety of reasons.

Every time he would make a couple of saves and maybe have a chance to get into a rhythm he was faced with another odd man rush or breakaway. How is that any different from "every time the Jets started to build something Comrie allowed another goal"? Not trying to say he played well. He was bad. But his support was ****.

Contrast the Jets support for Comrie with the way the Hawks played in front of the accountant. It was 8 full minutes before the Jets managed to get a shot on him. The broadcast crew credited him with a save on one that clearly hit the side of the net. I don't know what the official count was, but Hawks worked hard to protect him. Jets just didn't work.

I've never been a big Comrie supporter and I was disappointed to hear he was starting last night. I was disappointed when Hutch was sent down, for that matter. But I think Hutch had been on emergency call-up so there wasn't much choice. But I honestly can't remember ever seeing a team hang a goalie out to dry any worse than that POS game last night.

Reactions: snowkiddin

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I don't agree that Comrie was - that - bad. He was bad but he was no worse than any other player on the Jets last night.

Every time he would make a couple of saves and maybe have a chance to get into a rhythm he was faced with another odd man rush or breakaway. How is that any different from "every time the Jets started to build something Comrie allowed another goal"? Not trying to say he played well. He was bad. But his support was ****.

Contrast the Jets support for Comrie with the way the Hawks played in front of the accountant. It was 8 full minutes before the Jets managed to get a shot on him. The broadcast crew credited him with a save on one that clearly hit the side of the net. I don't know what the official count was, but Hawks worked hard to protect him. Jets just didn't work.

I've never been a big Comrie supporter and I was disappointed to hear he was starting last night. I was disappointed when Hutch was sent down, for that matter. But I think Hutch had been on emergency call-up so there wasn't much choice. But I honestly can't remember ever seeing a team hang a goalie out to dry any worse than that POS game last night.

So yes, Comrie was bad. The team was bad and so was Comrie.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
The Jets have spent a 2nd, a 5th, two 6ths and a 7th on goaltending since returning to Winnipeg.

And now they have a quality starter in Hellebuyck.

Goaltenders either become starters, or they have literally zero value.

That is the only way things should be viewed IMO.

Pretty much this.

There's little chance a team is giving up any asset for Comrie, never mind a fourth. At best he's a small side piece to a bigger deal.

At this point you just wait to see if he can develop into an elite AHL goalie, and then a functional NHL goalie. If he doesn't, it's no big loss or surprise; that's basically the case with 80%-90% of goalies that are drafted.

Reactions: scelaton and GNP

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
Holy f***ing over reaction
Let's trade everyone after one bad game.
Laine
Scheifele
Wheeler
Etc etc would have been long gone by now.

Good f***ing lord.

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
So Hutch leaves at the end of the year and you trade away Comrie, you are left with Peters and a junior goalie, not exactly leaving the organization with depth.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
A serviceable backup has the approx value of a mid round pick. Comrie has less value to other teams than this since he isn't yet a serviceable backup. There are always a few floating around in the off season and usually picked up with no loss of assets. Hutch is a perfect example of this. Comrie is coming off his ELC after this season so he can be picked up for free himself if he isn't on the Jets opening day roster next season. Assuming the Jets qualify and sign him. His shelf life has just about expired but for now he can backup Hutch for the Moose.

Comrie is waiver exempt next year. Goalies have an extra year of exemption.

I've never been a big fan of Comrie's (was honestly questioning in the off-season whether he would get a QO after the year) but he has had a much better season in the AHL than the past. With that improvement there's little need to trade him. He has next year in AHL to sort out whether this year true development or just a good year. It's after next season that a true decision will need to be made.

Reactions: adammlis

paul-laus

Jun 20, 2007
I think Steve Mason gets much undeserved flank from Jets fans. Sure he started the season on a bad note, but since mid October, he has played well. Hutchinson was lighting up the AHL, and has played well for a backup goalie.

Comrie, on the other hand, was playing second string for the Moose, and has been average in the AHL. In fact, during his three professional seasons, he has not really improved that much. The Moose were a more talented club this year, if you want to argue that his AHL stats have slightly improved. However, he has fumbled the ball at the NHL level. I hope Mason gets healthy soon.

Goalies who let goals in from centre ice during the playoffs deserve flak (not flank) from people -Jets fans or otherwise....Dan Cloutier had his career torched on letting in the Lidstrom goal from centre in the playoffs. The goal on Mason was infinitely worse. Mason had a horrific start to his year and for someone making 4.5 mil per, deserved everything her got from fans. His Calder season was a lifetime ago my friend.....

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Holy ****ing over reaction
Let's trade everyone after one bad game.
Laine
Scheifele
Wheeler
Etc etc would have been long gone by now.

Good ****ing lord.

I've felt that Comrie was overrated since the 2015-16 season, but this is the first time I have posted about it. You are defending Comrie by bringing up a logical fallacy. Implying that if one forum member does not think a player is cut out for the Jets, they must want every elite player gone. This argument almost never works, as it is a red herring. Laine, Scheifele, and Wheeler are great players.

Last edited:

Georgetown Al

I’m back...
Aug 8, 2017
I don't know that much about Steve Mason since he has hardly played...

I wish him well...

We will need him to very very well for the playoffs but he needs games in now...

Well soon find out who our backup is for the playoffs but we all know it could be one of three...

That's all there is...

Go Helle Go

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I don't know that much about Steve Mason since he has hardly played...

I wish him well...

We will need him to very very well for the playoffs but he needs games in now...

Well soon find out who our backup is for the playoffs but we all know it could be one of three...

That's all there is...

Go Helle Go

As Jets4Life says--Mason is really good--if he can stay healthy--we have one hell of a duo tandem of Goaltenders. We'll see if Steve can regain his health and form.

Reactions: Jets4Life

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Goalies who let goals in from centre ice during the playoffs deserve flak (not flank) from people -Jets fans or otherwise....Dan Cloutier had his career torched on letting in the Lidstrom goal from centre in the playoffs. The goal on Mason was infinitely worse. Mason had a horrific start to his year and for someone making 4.5 mil per, deserved everything her got from fans. His Calder season was a lifetime ago my friend.....

Cloutier was never a good goalie to begin with, and never really recovered from that Centre Ice goal in the 2002 playoffs. However, judging a goalie's career over one bad goal is silly. I recall that many Jets fans wanted to crucify Pavelec, after the game against the St.Louis Blues, where he allowed a centre ice goal. Within a month, Pavelec went on a tear, and played his best hockey of his career, and became one of the integral reasons that the Jets made the playoffs in 2014-15.

If you want to judge Steve Mason's career by a Centre Ice goal, be my guest. However, I still think he has played well for the Jets if you discount his first three games in October. Mason has just been incredibly unlucky with injuries.

Reactions: GNP

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming

They score 2 goals. They never started to build anything last night. They were shit from start to finish

Chewmasey

Jan 28, 2013
Winnipeg
The one thing I really hate about Comrie is ( he's small to begin with), but I find he makes himself even smaller in net for some reason.

Reactions: Rubixpube

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
I recall your posting on this a couple of years ago, and I simplified (?? bastardized) it by creating The Rule of 15, which states that in any 15 game consecutive sample, there is roughly a 15% chance that a replacement level goalie will play like an all star, and an equal 15% chance that an all star will have the save % of a replacement goalie.
I am sure you could create a similarly simple rule for scorers, which would hopefully enlighten those who are calling for Perrault's head and decrying the Stastny acquisition because he is pointless in 5 games.

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
The one thing I really hate about Comrie is ( he's small to begin with), but I find he makes himself even smaller in net for some reason.

Agreed 100%. I personally believe that he's never going to cut it as a starter in the NHL. IMO, he looks too small in net and is an average AHL goalie on a good AHL team.

But hey, if we can get a couple years of high quality goaltending on the Moose and if in a couple of years he looks lights out and could be an NHL goalie then I wouldn't be happier. The guy in all likelihood is just not going to unseat Helle.

Best case scenario for us is Helle/Comrie become a Luongo/Schneider situation. If that's the case then Comrie becomes a valuable asset in a trade and that's just good asset management by Chevy. Farm a lower round pick and develop into a first round pick

Last edited:

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I recall your posting on this a couple of years ago, and I simplified (?? bastardized) it by creating The Rule of 15, which states that in any 15 game consecutive sample, there is roughly a 15% chance that a replacement level goalie will play like an all star, and an equal 15% chance that an all star will have the save % of a replacement goalie.
I am sure you could create a similarly simple rule for scorers, which would hopefully enlighten those who are calling for Perrault's head and decrying the Stastny acquisition because he is pointless in 5 games.

I could try, but the problem is that goalies who play 15 games will have similar ice time and shots against. Forwards will have a lot of variance in their ice time and the number of shots they created in those games.

For forwards, I would simply ask: are they still producing shots and chances?

Even elite players, like Crosby in his prime, had ups and downs in percentages, but was stable in the shots he and his linemates were creating.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->