Proposal: Eric Comrie for a 4th round pick

Discussion in 'Winnipeg Jets' started by Jets4Life, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Mortimer Snerd You kids get off my lawn! Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 69,711
    So, there is no good reason to trade him then.

2. Mortimer Snerd You kids get off my lawn! Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 69,711
    Agree - with fix.

3. Mortimer Snerd You kids get off my lawn! Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 69,711
    The goalie didn't give up 6 goals. The team gave up 6 goals.

jgimp likes this.
  4. snowkiddin Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    @AlphaLackey said it best. The team didn’t play good but let’s not act like Comrie should get a free pass because of it.

5. Jet I love our scrubs!

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Pretty much the entire team sucked but every time the Jets started to build something Comrie allowed another goal including a couple of really putrid ones. He was not good.

Not fair to blame it on him but he has not been good in the NHL so far. Too early to start talking about trading him for a 4th though.

Comparing him to Helle last year is kind of silly. He had his struggles last season but was also brilliant. We haven't seen that at all from Comrie.

I still wish we would have gotten a legit backup for the playoff run. None of our 3 options has inspired much confidence for a variety of reasons.

Shaibu and snowkiddin like this.
  6. TheDeuce Byfuglien the Warrior

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Me too, although that's because I bet the Jets +2.5 once Foster went in. Would have collected 9:1!

m.

7. Mortimer Snerd You kids get off my lawn! Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 69,711
    I don't agree that Comrie was - that - bad. He was bad but he was no worse than any other player on the Jets last night.

Every time he would make a couple of saves and maybe have a chance to get into a rhythm he was faced with another odd man rush or breakaway. How is that any different from "every time the Jets started to build something Comrie allowed another goal"? Not trying to say he played well. He was bad. But his support was ****.

Contrast the Jets support for Comrie with the way the Hawks played in front of the accountant. It was 8 full minutes before the Jets managed to get a shot on him. The broadcast crew credited him with a save on one that clearly hit the side of the net. I don't know what the official count was, but Hawks worked hard to protect him. Jets just didn't work.

I've never been a big Comrie supporter and I was disappointed to hear he was starting last night. I was disappointed when Hutch was sent down, for that matter. But I think Hutch had been on emergency call-up so there wasn't much choice. But I honestly can't remember ever seeing a team hang a goalie out to dry any worse than that POS game last night.

snowkiddin likes this.
  8. snowkiddin Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    So yes, Comrie was bad. The team was bad and so was Comrie.

Mortimer Snerd likes this.
  9. Hank Chinaski Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Awards:
    Pretty much this.

There's little chance a team is giving up any asset for Comrie, never mind a fourth. At best he's a small side piece to a bigger deal.

At this point you just wait to see if he can develop into an elite AHL goalie, and then a functional NHL goalie. If he doesn't, it's no big loss or surprise; that's basically the case with 80%-90% of goalies that are drafted.

scelaton and GNP like this.
  10. King Woodballs Captain Awesome

SB Cash:
    $ 111,250
    Holy f***ing over reaction
    Let's trade everyone after one bad game.
    Laine
    Scheifele
    Wheeler
    Etc etc would have been long gone by now.

Good f***ing lord.

11. sting13 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    So Hutch leaves at the end of the year and you trade away Comrie, you are left with Peters and a junior goalie, not exactly leaving the organization with depth.

12. Holden Caulfield Eternal Skeptic

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Law Enforcement
    Comrie is waiver exempt next year. Goalies have an extra year of exemption.

I've never been a big fan of Comrie's (was honestly questioning in the off-season whether he would get a QO after the year) but he has had a much better season in the AHL than the past. With that improvement there's little need to trade him. He has next year in AHL to sort out whether this year true development or just a good year. It's after next season that a true decision will need to be made.

adammlis likes this.
  13. dlam Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Give the kid a chance
    He’s no Scott Foster

Tommigun, GNP and jgimp like this.
  14. paul-laus Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Goalies who let goals in from centre ice during the playoffs deserve flak (not flank) from people -Jets fans or otherwise....Dan Cloutier had his career torched on letting in the Lidstrom goal from centre in the playoffs. The goal on Mason was infinitely worse. Mason had a horrific start to his year and for someone making 4.5 mil per, deserved everything her got from fans. His Calder season was a lifetime ago my friend.....

15. garret9 AKA#VitoCorrelationi

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Home Page:
  16. Georgetown Al I’m back...

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
  17. Jets4Life Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    occupied

I've felt that Comrie was overrated since the 2015-16 season, but this is the first time I have posted about it. You are defending Comrie by bringing up a logical fallacy. Implying that if one forum member does not think a player is cut out for the Jets, they must want every elite player gone. This argument almost never works, as it is a red herring. Laine, Scheifele, and Wheeler are great players.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  18. Georgetown Al I’m back...

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I don't know that much about Steve Mason since he has hardly played...

I wish him well...

We will need him to very very well for the playoffs but he needs games in now...

Well soon find out who our backup is for the playoffs but we all know it could be one of three...

That's all there is...

Go Helle Go

Tommigun, Jets4Life and GNP like this.
  19. GNP Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Realtor

As Jets4Life says--Mason is really good--if he can stay healthy--we have one hell of a duo tandem of Goaltenders. We'll see if Steve can regain his health and form.

Jets4Life likes this.
  20. Jets4Life Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    occupied
    Cloutier was never a good goalie to begin with, and never really recovered from that Centre Ice goal in the 2002 playoffs. However, judging a goalie's career over one bad goal is silly. I recall that many Jets fans wanted to crucify Pavelec, after the game against the St.Louis Blues, where he allowed a centre ice goal. Within a month, Pavelec went on a tear, and played his best hockey of his career, and became one of the integral reasons that the Jets made the playoffs in 2014-15.

If you want to judge Steve Mason's career by a Centre Ice goal, be my guest. However, I still think he has played well for the Jets if you discount his first three games in October. Mason has just been incredibly unlucky with injuries.

GNP likes this.
  21. BlakeScheifehlaine Coach Blake

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Dad
    They score 2 goals. They never started to build anything last night. They were shit from start to finish

22. Chewmasey Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    The one thing I really hate about Comrie is ( he's small to begin with), but I find he makes himself even smaller in net for some reason.

Rubixpube likes this.
  23. scelaton Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I recall your posting on this a couple of years ago, and I simplified (?? bastardized) it by creating The Rule of 15, which states that in any 15 game consecutive sample, there is roughly a 15% chance that a replacement level goalie will play like an all star, and an equal 15% chance that an all star will have the save % of a replacement goalie.
    I am sure you could create a similarly simple rule for scorers, which would hopefully enlighten those who are calling for Perrault's head and decrying the Stastny acquisition because he is pointless in 5 games.

24. rubikscube Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Agreed 100%. I personally believe that he's never going to cut it as a starter in the NHL. IMO, he looks too small in net and is an average AHL goalie on a good AHL team.

But hey, if we can get a couple years of high quality goaltending on the Moose and if in a couple of years he looks lights out and could be an NHL goalie then I wouldn't be happier. The guy in all likelihood is just not going to unseat Helle.

Best case scenario for us is Helle/Comrie become a Luongo/Schneider situation. If that's the case then Comrie becomes a valuable asset in a trade and that's just good asset management by Chevy. Farm a lower round pick and develop into a first round pick

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  25. garret9 AKA#VitoCorrelationi

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Home Page:
    I could try, but the problem is that goalies who play 15 games will have similar ice time and shots against. Forwards will have a lot of variance in their ice time and the number of shots they created in those games.

For forwards, I would simply ask: are they still producing shots and chances?

Even elite players, like Crosby in his prime, had ups and downs in percentages, but was stable in the shots he and his linemates were creating.