Proposal: Eric Comrie for a 4th round pick

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
jets lost 6 -2

how can you blame goalie for the jets only scoring 2 goals?

if you're the better team you shoild be able to out score a bad team

these guys are supposed to.be contenders stop trying to blame the goalie

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
This game tells you that Comrie isn't anywhere near done developing, not that he's a bust we should offload.

Good lesson for him, he knows what he needs to work on now so he can do that with the moose over the next couple of years and lets hope our backup dont continue dying so he doesn't have to come up before he's ready. Goalies have a lot more little things they need to perfect in their games and so can take a bit longer developing. Look at the almost complete 180 Helle made in one year after a poor season. He fixed a few little things and suddenly he's in vezina talks.

Not happy with Comrie atm, but no reason to give up on him yet when he's like 13 years old.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Guess we should of traded Helly last year for a fith then.... :sarcasm:

Trade Comrie... :laugh:

Please... :thumbd:

You cannot seriously compare the two. Even Carey Price had off seasons.

Hellebuyck:

-NCAA Goaltender of the Year
-AHL candidate for MVP, Rookie of the Year, and Goalie of the Year
-Best Goaltender of the World Hockey Championships 2015, as voted by the media
-put up a 0.918% in his first year in the NHL

I always found it bizarre that certain posters fell in love with Pavelec in 2011-12, despite being mediocre at best, and never amounting to anything. Yet when Hellebuyck had a rough year in 2016-17, wanted him gone.

Don't ever compare Helle with Comrie. It's an insult to Hellebuyck.

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
The Jets have spent a 2nd, a 5th, two 6ths and a 7th on goaltending since returning to Winnipeg.

And now they have a quality starter in Hellebuyck.

Goaltenders either become starters, or they have literally zero value.

That is the only way things should be viewed IMO.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
This sums it up very well.

No reason to trade him for a 4th round pick what so ever. For a 1st round pick or early 2nd round pick? Go for it.

For late 2nd, 3rd or 4th? Why to bother?

If you think that a team will trade a first or second round pick for Comrie, you have no idea what the market is for mediocre goalies. We would be very lucky to get a 4th round pick for him.

Reactions: GNP

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
He's 22 and goalies tend to take longer to develop. I'm not sure what exactly he's going to turn into but a 4th round pick is not a good return at all.

That is mainly a myth. Goalies don't take that long to develop. Ditto for defenseman. I am not sure who went around saying that it takes years longer to develop goalies and denfenseman than it is for forwards, but it is just not true. I would provide statistics, but that is what Garrett9 gets paid to do.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
If you think that a team will trade a first or second round pick for Comrie, you have no idea what the market is for mediocre goalies. We would be very lucky to get a 4th round pick for him.

Not saying anyone would trade him for a 1st round pick now. But the thing is that in (that very probable) case no one is paying at least early 2nd round pick for him, I don't think there is any reason to trade him now. 4th round pick is pretty much worth of nothing.

Just keep him for now in case he makes Hellebuycks. Helle was abysmal last season, now he is awesome. I don't expect Comrie to become awesome, but maybe he has potential to become a serviceable backup goalie. Not showing the signs yet, but with two way contract, it doesn't matter a lot if he never does.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
You cannot seriously compare the two. Even Carey Price had off seasons.

Hellebuyck:

-NCAA Goaltender of the Year
-AHL candidate for MVP, Rookie of the Year, and Goalie of the Year
-Best Goaltender of the World Hockey Championships 2015, as voted by the media
-put up a 0.918% in his first year in the NHL

I always found it bizarre that certain posters fell in love with Pavelec in 2011-12, despite being mediocre at best, and never amounting to anything. Yet when Hellebuyck had a rough year in 2016-17, wanted him gone.

Don't ever compare Helle with Comrie. It's an insult to Hellebuyck.

he's using your logic against you and you're getting upset about it

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Not saying anyone would trade him for a 1st round pick now. But the thing is that in (that very probable) case no one is paying at least early 2nd round pick for him, I don't think there is any reason to trade him now. 4th round pick is pretty much worth of nothing.

Just keep him for now in case he makes Hellebuycks. Helle was abysmal last season, now he is awesome. I don't expect Comrie to become awesome, but maybe he has potential to become a serviceable backup goalie. Not showing the signs yet, but with two way contract, it doesn't matter a lot if he never does.
A serviceable backup has the approx value of a mid round pick. Comrie has less value to other teams than this since he isn't yet a serviceable backup. There are always a few floating around in the off season and usually picked up with no loss of assets. Hutch is a perfect example of this. Comrie is coming off his ELC after this season so he can be picked up for free himself if he isn't on the Jets opening day roster next season. Assuming the Jets qualify and sign him. His shelf life has just about expired but for now he can backup Hutch for the Moose.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
He’s a weirdo in interviews.

Not much to say about his actual hockey skills. Clearly not ready but he’s young.

Reactions: ruffus23

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
Trade Comrie.

Scratch Perreault.

Buyout Little.

Some of the shit I've read on this board lately is unf***ingbeliavable.

For the record I'm not even particularly high on Comrie but just shipping him off for a 4th round pick at this point is pointless.

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
The team, including Comrie, played a terrible game. In my opinion, Comrie was not prepared to play at this level as evidenced by his positioning on the goal scored from, basically, behind the net. I think a part of his problem is that by today's standards, he is a small goal tender. (If anyone believes that he is 6' 1" as listed on the Jets' roster, well.......maybe in his skates and Tom Cruise lifts.) His smaller size makes it more difficult to get from one post to another resulting in having to make a more "acrobatic move" to do so which in turn gets him off balance and, in the end, out of position. He might want to consider signing up with the same goalie instructor as Hellebuyck did last off-season. Just my opinion.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
I don’t watch many Moose games so my opinion is based on Comrie’s NHL games...he’s got a long way to go and I don’t believe he plays a style that works in the NHL today. He’s constantly searching for the puck and reacting late, often out of position, not square and sometimes guessing, he gives away the net. After he gives up a couple goals he starts guessing and dropping into the butterfly when the puck is moving around the zone. Maybe some of these faux pas’ come down to nerves but he looks awful.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
This game tells you that Comrie isn't anywhere near done developing, not that he's a bust we should offload.

Good lesson for him, he knows what he needs to work on now so he can do that with the moose over the next couple of years and lets hope our backup dont continue dying so he doesn't have to come up before he's ready. Goalies have a lot more little things they need to perfect in their games and so can take a bit longer developing. Look at the almost complete 180 Helle made in one year after a poor season. He fixed a few little things and suddenly he's in vezina talks.

Not happy with Comrie atm, but no reason to give up on him yet when he's like 13 years old.

Seems like he’s 13 but he’s at the end of his ELC, so there’s a bit of a decision coming up on him.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
He's a long, long way from even being an NHL backup. Give him a few more years with the Moose, or move him.......or whatever. Its all quite inconsequential.

Reactions: GNP

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
The thing that scares me , a little anyway , is both Helly and Hutch looked really good when they first got a chance with the Jets , Comrie not so much .

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He's been good in one of the four games. You can't win if your goalie is bad 75% of the time he plays. But, he's young, and that's an extremely small sample size. He needs more to time to develop and get used to playing in the NHL.

Look at the games individually and it isn't that bad. Raw sv% doesn't mean much in small samples, especially as small as single games. His 1 game last year he was actually pretty good, not great, but pretty good. Got the W. His first game this year he was just bad. His second he was good. Period. Then last night. A **** show by all Jets. Two of the goals were on him. A couple more might have been saved by a hot goalie, maybe. But with the way the team played in front of him, I'm inclined to give him a pass on the whole thing.

Blaming that mess on the goalie is just ridiculous.

I agree that he isn't ready though. He may never be. But 22 is too young to give up on him.

Reactions: snowkiddin

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Look at the games individually and it isn't that bad. Raw sv% doesn't mean much in small samples, especially as small as single games. His 1 game last year he was actually pretty good, not great, but pretty good. Got the W. His first game this year he was just bad. His second he was good. Period. Then last night. A **** show by all Jets. Two of the goals were on him. A couple more might have been saved by a hot goalie, maybe. But with the way the team played in front of him, I'm inclined to give him a pass on the whole thing.

Blaming that mess on the goalie is just ridiculous.

I agree that he isn't ready though. He may never be. But 22 is too young to give up on him.

Oh yeah for sure I’m not blaming that loss on him. Plain and simple no one showed up. I don’t think he played well by any means but I’m not gonna pretend this loss is on him when the team played like absolute garbage.

He isn’t NHL ready and hasn’t been spectacular in the AHL, but he’s young and goalies take a while to develop. He should be fine. Give him another year or two as “the guy” in the AHL. When Berdin is ready for AHL starter duties, then we can call up Comrie to back up Hellebuyck and if he still sucks, then we can get rid of him. But we shouldn’t give up on him now. It would be like giving up on Kyle Connor after he played poorly last year before being sent down.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
jets lost 6 -2

how can you blame goalie for the jets only scoring 2 goals?

if you're the better team you shoild be able to out score a bad team

these guys are supposed to.be contenders stop trying to blame the goalie

The team played like garbage and I’m not blaming Comrie but how often do you win when you’re goalie gives up 6 goals.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Oh yeah for sure I’m not blaming that loss on him. Plain and simple no one showed up. I don’t think he played well by any means but I’m not gonna pretend this loss is on him when the team played like absolute garbage.

He isn’t NHL ready and hasn’t been spectacular in the AHL, but he’s young and goalies take a while to develop. He should be fine. Give him another year or two as “the guy” in the AHL. When Berdin is ready for AHL starter duties, then we can call up Comrie to back up Hellebuyck and if he still sucks, then we can get rid of him. But we shouldn’t give up on him now. It would be like giving up on Kyle Connor after he played poorly last year before being sent down.

Irrespective of how any other player played, we got a performance out of Comrie that wasn't just below NHL average, it was below AHL replacement average. Two goals went in on gaffes that we'd count as errors in baseball and on average, breakaways are still significant underdogs to get scored on, so going 0-for-3 on then doesn't get washed away by "but they were breakaways".

Having said that, I have no idea what the market is like for young goalies that seem to be wetting the bed a lot in the NHL, but just because I respect Chevy's chops, I think he gets more than a 4th for Comrie.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad