Cut/Released: Eric Berry

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Sad that it had to end this way. Just can't keep playing this game of "will he play or won't he"...it's been two years of this now. EB will always be an all-time Chiefs great and is an even better dude. I wish him good health, hopefully he gets another chance to do what he loves. Can't believe he's still only 30 years-old...his body is betraying him though...even when he finally got out there against New England, the lasting image is him just getting completely high-pointed and worked by TB and Gronk on big third downs late in the game...

The cap savings is really marginal but the Chiefs need every cent to complete their defensive overhaul. Honey Bagder takes over as defensive QB.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
KC is making head scratching moves.
They cut Hunt, Houston and Berry. Lose starting Center Morse in free agency. Trade Dee Ford and sign Honey Badger.

Reactions: Voight

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
They cut Hunt, Houston and Berry. Lose starting Center Morse in free agency. Trade Dee Ford and sign Honey Badger.
Not really headscratching if you understand the situation. I fully expected us to cut Houston/Berry, and was pleasantly surprised when we traded Ford.

Houston - old, injury history, way too expensive
Ford - one dimensional
Berry - 3 games in two years
Morse - a concussion away from retirement

On top of that, for the defensive players, we’re going from a 3-4 to a 4-3. Our defense was the worst in the league last year, and people are surprised we’re blowing it up?

We added Mathieu and are hosting Darby, Veach still has ammo and cap space to make plenty of moves.

Reactions: BKarchitect

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO

I mean if one is only casually aware of the situation here and looking at “names”, sure it seems odd but there is definitely a method to the madness and this is like looking at a building that is halfway constructed and saying “gee I don’t think that’s gonna be any good at keeping the rain out”.

1) The defensive scheme is being completely redone and it necessitates a massive overhaul of personnel.

2) Hunt had to go, there’s nothing confusing about it. He may not even play next year, there’s no guarantee he’s coming off the commish’s no play list anytime soon. Plus we all know - RBs can be replaced. Hunt was excellent. He was a third rounder. Williams is pretty darn good and Hyde should be a fine tough yardage RB2. The Chiefs will be fine there if not quite as potent as when Hunt was playing prime time minutes. They also aren’t having to spend a lot of money at the position.

3) Houston, Ford and Berry are bigger names than their contracts are worth to KC (or Ford’s new contract in that case). This is classic New England/new cap era dumping of guys potentially one year too early than too late or after a devastatingly large contract extension kills your flexibility. Houston is a shadow of himself, Ford would have been limited in the new scheme and Berry is flat out broken.

4) The Chiefs weren’t going to pay a center, who they survived just fine without last season while he was hurt the kind of cash Morse just got.

5) The rest of the construction project remains to be seen. Rumor is Darby is in town tonight and would not be surprised to see him leave with a deal. The Chiefs have also acquired a lot of draft capital (6 in the first two rounds this year and next so far). This can be used for cheap talent (this draft is loaded with potential impact defenders) or as trade chips.

6) The goal is to remain flexibile and lower the age of the team to maintain a large window of competitiveness with Mahomes...plus needing money for extensions for Tyreek, Kelcie, Chris Jones, etc.

I’m not saying it’s all gonna work out - I’m just saying there is a definite method at work here with Veach.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Don't see the Chiefs ever becoming real contenders until they have a defense that isn't bottom 5 in the league.

So why the fuss? Ford is extremely one dimensional and not a fit in the new scheme and also now making tons of money long term for an EDGE who is nearing 30. Houston is a big player in name only now. Berry is completely broken and has barely played in the last two years.

You’d think a roster overhaul on the defensive side would be welcomed. We clearly can suck with a bunch of guys who are getting older and make a lot of money. I’m sure we can survive without them while gaining roster flexibility.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad