Equipment: EQUIPMENT/BEGINNERS - Buyer's Guide and Advice

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Are all Warrior gloves rather small/tight? I've been wearing the same size for years, my last two pair being Bauer, prior to that I had a pair of Eagles, and going back I had some Heaton's I believe. The fit was pretty comparable throughout.

I was ordering a couple things I needed online and decided to throw a pair of Warrior gloves in there that were on sale and I think I'm going to have to return them. They're the same size, but they feel like they're 3 inches smaller than the others. They actually hurt my hands if I'm just stickhandling a golf ball in my living room.

No not all, depends on which family of gloves. I found the Covert line (anatomical fit) to be tighter/smaller than other gloves on the market with that style, but the Dynasty line doesn't size off relatively.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
That might make sense. I bought the Covert line. It's insane how much tighter they are than my current Bauers though.

Thanks for the info.

elnewby

Feb 21, 2012
MT
I bought the QR1 gloves as well. And right out of the box they were abnormally tight I would say. After the break in period I can say they are the best fitting gloves I have ever had.

beerleaguevet

Apr 28, 2015
Buying a new brain bucket...

First off, I'll start off by professing the Bauer NBH5500 helmet was my favourite helmet I've ever worn. After enough use and abuse, I replaced it with the Bauer 7500. Not quite as good, but still pretty comfortable and cool. Eventually, the glue started to wear out and my foam pads started shifting around. Always nice gettting off the ice and rubbing glue off your forehead, but hey, the lid was cool and comfortable.

So after browsing at a big name sports retail store, I picked up a CCM Resistance 100 helmet on sale for 69.99 (Canadian, for my American puckheads). Needless to say, this helmet was like playing hockey with a warm towel wrapped around my head. This thing was HOT as hell. I've always heard good things about the CCM gear lately (especially the U+ and Crazy Light stuff), so figured I'd give it a shot. Looks like I'll be buying another Bauer bucket.

Lesson of this meaningless post- sometimes it's best to stick with what you know. Canada Cycle and Motor, thanks for the hot flashes. I'll have a new respect for when my wife hits menopause....

Rookie109

Mar 31, 2014
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
First off, I'll start off by professing the Bauer NBH5500 helmet was my favourite helmet I've ever worn. After enough use and abuse, I replaced it with the Bauer 7500. Not quite as good, but still pretty comfortable and cool. Eventually, the glue started to wear out and my foam pads started shifting around. Always nice gettting off the ice and rubbing glue off your forehead, but hey, the lid was cool and comfortable.

So after browsing at a big name sports retail store, I picked up a CCM Resistance 100 helmet on sale for 69.99 (Canadian, for my American puckheads). Needless to say, this helmet was like playing hockey with a warm towel wrapped around my head. This thing was HOT as hell. I've always heard good things about the CCM gear lately (especially the U+ and Crazy Light stuff), so figured I'd give it a shot. Looks like I'll be buying another Bauer bucket.

Lesson of this meaningless post- sometimes it's best to stick with what you know. Canada Cycle and Motor, thanks for the hot flashes. I'll have a new respect for when my wife hits menopause....

I recommend this helmet, Mission is owned by Bauer so it would probably work for you.
https://youtu.be/Zid64JlYRgQ

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
Any goalies in here?

I've used to play goalie up until peewees (let in a fluke game winner in the championship of my last year of squirts as a travel goalie in the last 3min of the game. Cried. Decided to play forward instead). Recently gotten back into playing goalie and am looking for a set. Been meaning to go into a store and size out some gear but haven't had time. Found a real nice set for cheap online expiring soon. My question is will it fit right? I'm almost 6'1 about 200 pounds. Pads are size 35 +1. From what I've read I should be fine but have heard conflicting info.

DevsFan84

Jul 31, 2007
Any goalies in here?

I've used to play goalie up until peewees (let in a fluke game winner in the championship of my last year of squirts as a travel goalie in the last 3min of the game. Cried. Decided to play forward instead). Recently gotten back into playing goalie and am looking for a set. Been meaning to go into a store and size out some gear but haven't had time. Found a real nice set for cheap online expiring soon. My question is will it fit right? I'm almost 6'1 about 200 pounds. Pads are size 35 +1. From what I've read I should be fine but have heard conflicting info.

Height is a tough way to go about sizing. Most manufacturers have a sizing guide you can find online- they usually use ATK (ankle to knee) measurements to get your size. Keep in mind, some older pads had a tendency to shrink (I'm assuming these are used), and some brands will fit differently than others.

elmariachi227

Aug 27, 2012
Cleveland
This is probably a long shot: but I'm going to ask anyway since I have had so much trouble finding a good fitting shin guard.

I currently wear 12" Easton Stealth S17's as seen here:
https://www.totalhockey.com/product/Stealth_S17_Shin_Guards/itm/2426-41/

Even though they fit great, stay in place, cover everything that needs to be protected: I've already had to repair them a couple times (replace rivets), another thing that bothers me is that they hold tons of sweat. Other than that: awesome.

But I'm afraid it's just a matter of time before they have to go.

I've tried the Synergy 80 Shin Guard, and I couldn't even fit the strap across my calf, and it looked like the guard would have been too short.

I also tried Easton Stealth C7, and while it's close: there's still a gap between calf pad and skate on the sides, and while skating one time the shin guard shifted up about an inch and I hurt my knee when falling on the ice.

Any suggestions for something that is the same kind of fit? Everything else just feels too small or like my knee is not fitting in the pocket correctly.

Before the S17's, I had 13" Bauer Vapor pads that didn't fit right (when knee hit ice, all pressure was right on bone below knee cap)

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
This is probably a long shot: but I'm going to ask anyway since I have had so much trouble finding a good fitting shin guard.

I currently wear 12" Easton Stealth S17's as seen here:
https://www.totalhockey.com/product/Stealth_S17_Shin_Guards/itm/2426-41/

Even though they fit great, stay in place, cover everything that needs to be protected: I've already had to repair them a couple times (replace rivets), another thing that bothers me is that they hold tons of sweat. Other than that: awesome.

But I'm afraid it's just a matter of time before they have to go.

I've tried the Synergy 80 Shin Guard, and I couldn't even fit the strap across my calf, and it looked like the guard would have been too short.

I also tried Easton Stealth C7, and while it's close: there's still a gap between calf pad and skate on the sides, and while skating one time the shin guard shifted up about an inch and I hurt my knee when falling on the ice.

Any suggestions for something that is the same kind of fit? Everything else just feels too small or like my knee is not fitting in the pocket correctly.

Before the S17's, I had 13" Bauer Vapor pads that didn't fit right (when knee hit ice, all pressure was right on bone below knee cap)

Shins are tricky, some are a bit longer/shorter than others, even though they're the same size. Others are wider/deeper/contoured a certain way that affects fit.

Best course of action is to try on several pairs.

I would suggest you start by trying Bauer Supreme or CCM Tacks. Bauer Nexus if those are too narrow/tight.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Hey all. Just decided to start playing hockey again. Its been 13+ years since I last played. I am looking at joining a novice-intermediate league as I have no idea how well I will do.

I have zero equipment. All my equipment from when I was a teenager fit me when I was 5'8 and 130. I am now 6'1 and pushing 200.

Any suggestions or tips when looking for equipment? I have to start from scratch.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Hey all. Just decided to start playing hockey again. Its been 13+ years since I last played. I am looking at joining a novice-intermediate league as I have no idea how well I will do.

I have zero equipment. All my equipment from when I was a teenager fit me when I was 5'8 and 130. I am now 6'1 and pushing 200.

Any suggestions or tips when looking for equipment? I have to start from scratch.

Well... the basic tips are in the guide. Read that first probably.

StLHokie

May 27, 2014
North Carolina
What is the biggest difference between high-end pant lines? Like what are the significant differences between the 1N pants and the 1X pants. Obviously with skates and other gear you have different types of fits, but pants are more based on height/weight than anything.

gswift

Mar 27, 2013
Obviously with skates and other gear you have different types of fits, but pants are more based on height/weight than anything.
Yeah, since everyone is shaped the same in the waist hip & thigh area...
What is the biggest difference between high-end pant lines? Like what are the significant differences between the 1N pants and the 1X pants.

The Nexus line would be more of a volume/traditional fit, whereas the Vapor would be tighter/more anatomical in the hip area while having a wider leg portion & the Supreme has a contoured/anatomical fit in the hips & thigh area...

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Looking for best deal for a regulation size hockey net any advice?

MegaAlf

Jul 8, 2011
I'm looking for a fit similar to the Reebok 16K pants. Senior sm fits me great but the protection in the back of the pants is minimal. I can't find any 20K's on sale.

I've tried CL and Mako's but they didn't fit me well. I'm thinking of ordering the APX2's but don't have a proshop nearby that sells them. Any recommendations?

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
I'm looking for a fit similar to the Reebok 16K pants. Senior sm fits me great but the protection in the back of the pants is minimal. I can't find any 20K's on sale.

I've tried CL and Mako's but they didn't fit me well. I'm thinking of ordering the APX2's but don't have a proshop nearby that sells them. Any recommendations?

That fit profile now belongs to the CCM Tacks family of pants. I suggest you look there.

MegaAlf

Jul 8, 2011
I'm using 13 inch Bauer Vapor gloves and they fit well in comparison to other brands. TRUE XC7 13 inch fits about the same though. The one thing that concerns me is the tips of my fingers are hitting the end of the gloves a little before the wedges of the glove meets the wedges of my fingers. In the fitting videos I've seen, they describe this fit as being too small. My fingers extend a bit beyond the padding if I pull down the glove to where it wedges between my fingers.

14 inch gloves feel too big for me though. Way too much volume. Warrior carries a 13.5 glove but I can't try it on anywhere. I can only order them online. Should I just go ahead and order them?

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
I'm using 13 inch Bauer Vapor gloves and they fit well in comparison to other brands. TRUE XC7 13 inch fits about the same though. The one thing that concerns me is the tips of my fingers are hitting the end of the gloves a little before the wedges of the glove meets the wedges of my fingers. In the fitting videos I've seen, they describe this fit as being too small. My fingers extend a bit beyond the padding if I pull down the glove to where it wedges between my fingers.

14 inch gloves feel too big for me though. Way too much volume. Warrior carries a 13.5 glove but I can't try it on anywhere. I can only order them online. Should I just go ahead and order them?

Some gloves fit larger or smaller than others. Have you tried other lines?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Has anyone used the new Bauer Supreme 1S shin-pads?

I picked up a pair of Sher-wood 5030 HOF shin-pad a few days ago to replace my DR Novas I've had since 1993. At the store even with skates on they seemed to fit fine, I liked he simplicity of them, having come from a pair that were very old.

When I got home I tried them on with all the gear, and the knee cup is way to deep, and the plastic pushes up against my leg. Sadly I made a slight modification to the pads trying to alleviate this issue and now cannot return them to the retailer.

I eyed up the new Bauer Supreme 1S pads the other day at another retailer. They are pricey ($200 taxes in) but if I can even get half the use out of them as I did my old DR Novas, I don't mind paying for a top end pair

Anyone use these pads yet? Reviews online are scarce but overall very positive.

MegaAlf

Jul 8, 2011
I'm getting ready to replace my old CCM helmet from the early 90's. It's an adult small and fits fine. I don't know how much helmets have changed but all of the smalls I tried on in CCM and Bauer felt noticeably small even when adjusted to the largest setting. Medium has to be adjusted to the smallest setting for it to be snug. The smalls barely cover my ears and are a bit tight. Not sure if I should go with a medium and get more coverage and it's not quite as tight. If the padding expands at all I think it might get too loose.

I'm thinking the padding my expand a bit with a small and fit well The sales rep also stated the CCM RES 300 runs narrow and recommended a medium in that. I tried on a Re-Akt 75 as well. My head size is 22 inches bordering on the small/mediums when I look at charts for various brands. Seems like the best option is to find a brand/model that runs small in general.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
I'm getting ready to replace my old CCM helmet from the early 90's. It's an adult small and fits fine. I don't know how much helmets have changed but all of the smalls I tried on in CCM and Bauer felt noticeably small even when adjusted to the largest setting. Medium has to be adjusted to the smallest setting for it to be snug. The smalls barely cover my ears and are a bit tight. Not sure if I should go with a medium and get more coverage and it's not quite as tight. If the padding expands at all I think it might get too loose.

I'm thinking the padding my expand a bit with a small and fit well The sales rep also stated the CCM RES 300 runs narrow and recommended a medium in that. I tried on a Re-Akt 75 as well. My head size is 22 inches bordering on the small/mediums when I look at charts for various brands. Seems like the best option is to find a brand/model that runs small in general.
Attached is a Bauer helmet sizing table. I don't have one for CCM but I hope this helps.

Attachments

• bauer helmet sizing.PNG
    bauer helmet sizing.PNG
    44 KB · Views: 10

sverige

Nov 4, 2014
Need help choosing size for, well, everything. I'm quite a tall guy standing 6'1 but weigh only about 165 and don't have particulary big waist or chest girth. For instance, with the Easton Synergy 80 shoulder pads I size L for weight and length but only S for chest size, so I'm really not sure what size to pick. It's the same for pants as well, being tall but having a small waist.

Any advice on the issue?

https://www.purehockey.com/product/Synergy_80_Shoulder_Pads/itm/15913-41/

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->