Equipment: EQUIPMENT/BEGINNERS - Buyer's Guide and Advice

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
the 12" x80s feel a bit like it fits TOO perfect on my hand like a regular cloth glove would fit around your hand , the kind that you wear in the cold. my finger tips hit the end and squeezing my twig takes a bit of hand force for the glove to close all the way on it but that could be because its brand new. ideally i like a tapered fit which is why im not a huge fan of 4 rolls. I do recall playing a pickup game one time and forgot my gloves so i used a pair they had at my rink which were ironically a pair of 11" bauer gloves (cant remember if they were vapors or supremes but they definetely werent nexus, more than likely vapors) but they were extremely broken in and they felt pretty comfortable in terms of size and movement which i found REALLY weird being a 12.5" measurement. i dont really feel like my 13" easton gloves are holding me back from anything but would definetely like for it to feel a bit tighter so that maybe twisting my twig when stick handling will be faster/smoother, im mostly being ocd just wanting the perfect glove fit for any possible advantage when stick handling.

long story short not sure if I should return the x80s and exchange them for 13" or try breaking them in and see if they fit better but possibly losing money if they dont.

OK well they'll definitely be softer once broken in, and it's OK for your finger tips to touch the end, just not if it's protruding/uncomfortable.

I think you should keep them, and also, to be quite honest, I think you're overthinking this a bit, especially with the Eastons you have now.

vyse

Mar 14, 2016
los angeles
OK well they'll definitely be softer once broken in, and it's OK for your finger tips to touch the end, just not if it's protruding/uncomfortable.

I think you should keep them, and also, to be quite honest, I think you're overthinking this a bit, especially with the Eastons you have now.

if i hold my fingers straight and touch the wall and some of my finger tips touch the wall a bit first before the protective part on top of the finger, would this be considered protruding or is it fine (only my middle and ring finger touch the wall) ? that was one of the first things i tried and noticed. if that's not much of a problem then ill keep them and try them

Last edited:

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
if i hold my fingers straight and touch the wall and some of my finger tips touch the wall a bit first before the protective part on top of the finger, would this be considered protruding or is it fine (only my middle and ring finger touch the wall) ? that was one of the first things i tried and noticed. if that's not much of a problem then ill keep them and try them

I wouldn't jam my hands in the gloves, but just put them on naturally, like you just picked them off the ice after dropping them for w/e reason. Hold your stick naturally, and see if they protrude on the bottom hand. Generally, having gloves too small only becomes an issue if the forearm isn't covered enough. Rarely does anything end up hitting the fingertips directly.

vyse

Mar 14, 2016
los angeles
I wouldn't jam my hands in the gloves, but just put them on naturally, like you just picked them off the ice after dropping them for w/e reason. Hold your stick naturally, and see if they protrude on the bottom hand. Generally, having gloves too small only becomes an issue if the forearm isn't covered enough. Rarely does anything end up hitting the fingertips directly.

alright thanks ill keep them and break them in.

KingKopi11

Feb 20, 2016
I wouldn't jam my hands in the gloves, but just put them on naturally, like you just picked them off the ice after dropping them for w/e reason. Hold your stick naturally, and see if they protrude on the bottom hand. Generally, having gloves too small only becomes an issue if the forearm isn't covered enough. Rarely does anything end up hitting the fingertips directly
But when they do get hit it hurts like a mother f***er.

Danglelikedatsyuk

May 8, 2016
Do all shin guards fit the same?

I'm buying a new pair of shin guards because my warrior hd3s keep sliding down on me and I was wondering if all of them in a size fit the same? The Warriors fit me in length but not in width and I was thinking about getting the Easton pros, or do they fit the same? Any help would be great. Thanks!

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007
I'm buying a new pair of shin guards because my warrior hd3s keep sliding down on me and I was wondering if all of them in a size fit the same? The Warriors fit me in length but not in width and I was thinking about getting the Easton pros, or do they fit the same? Any help would be great. Thanks!

No, even within the the same brand, there are variances in fit. Bauer, for instance, has 3 different types of fit in the Nexus, Vapor and Supreme lines. CCM does something similar with the Tacks and RBZ(soon to be QL line). East one has the Stealth, Pro and Synergy lines which all fit differently.

Danglelikedatsyuk

May 8, 2016
No, even within the the same brand, there are variances in fit. Bauer, for instance, has 3 different types of fit in the Nexus, Vapor and Supreme lines. CCM does something similar with the Tacks and RBZ(soon to be QL line). East one has the Stealth, Pro and Synergy lines which all fit differently.

can you tell me the tightest fitting line from these brands? thanks.

NewJackEdwards

Jun 8, 2010
CT
In the market for a new helmet. Was looking at the Easton E600 because I can get it at a decent price but I've heard there are some issues with fit. Also looking at the CCM resistance 100. All input in welcome.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
In the market for a new helmet. Was looking at the Easton E600 because I can get it at a decent price but I've heard there are some issues with fit. Also looking at the CCM resistance 100. All input in welcome.
Get whatever fits the best, don't limit yourself to those 2 because every helmet fits different from each other. There's really no point in sourcing feedback for those helmets until you try them on...

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
Just ordered a visor from verbero for about 20 dollars. Anyone have experience with using that brand? Their half wood sticks look unreal, and I'm pretty much sold on getting quality breezers for 70.

RICK NASHTY

May 5, 2015
Been using lax elbows for the past two years and they were awesome for mobility but just couldn't cut it long term. I got the reebok 20k pro stocks for 40 bucks and boy am I blown away they are a very snug fit but has the movement range I've always wanted.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Do not buy these gloves:

bauer-performance-players-sr-street-hockey-gloves-2.jpg

I probably broke my finger by what was essentially a slash. They don't protect from anything, you might as well play with your bare hands.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Well yeah. Aren't they meant to protect your hands? I'm not saying my hand should be protected from a 100 mph slapshot, but I didn't expect to be waiting for X-rays after getting my finger slashed.

From an errant ball maybe, but seriously, did you actually expect them to protect you from a slash when you bought them? Look at them! You might've had a similar result with a pair of low end hockey gloves...:help:

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
From an errant ball maybe, but seriously, did you actually expect them to protect you from a slash when you bought them? Look at them! You might've had a similar result with a pair of low end hockey gloves...:help:

An errant ball doesn't hurt as much as a slash. TBH, I didn't know how much padding would be enough for a recreational use (it was a friendly game). Now that I compared those to my ice hockey mitts, I can see why my finger is broken.

That's on me being stupid I guess. Still, I want my money back, what good are these gloves if they don't protect from anything that could seriously harm me?

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Maybe they should've used impact gel or something. At the same time, I've never seen anyone use ball hockey specific gloves for ball/dek hockey and when I used to work in a store that sold them, I would always steer people away. For ~$50-$60 retail, you may as well get a pair of clearance mid-end gloves that can actually protect. The challenge for some may be finding a pair that's breatheable enough.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Maybe they should've used impact gel or something. At the same time, I've never seen anyone use ball hockey specific gloves for ball/dek hockey and when I used to work in a store that sold them, I would always steer people away. For ~$50-$60 retail, you may as well get a pair of clearance mid-end gloves that can actually protect. The challenge for some may be finding a pair that's breatheable enough.

I wish you would've been the one advising me for my purchase. Do you think Warrior Lacrosse gloves are good for ball hockey? The padding is about as thick as ice hockey gloves, but it has a tighter fit, which is what I was looking for in the first place.

althoma1

Nov 21, 2013
I wish you would've been the one advising me for my purchase. Do you think Warrior Lacrosse gloves are good for ball hockey? The padding is about as thick as ice hockey gloves, but it has a tighter fit, which is what I was looking for in the first place.

Lacrosse gloves would be more protective than what you were using, but not as protective as mid to high end ice hockey gloves. There are plenty of ice hockey gloves that have an anatomical or tight fit. Off the top of my head, here are some examples:

STX Surgeon 500 (STX started in lacrosse so the surgeon hockey gloves are certainly lacrosse influenced)
Bauer Supreme
CCM Tacks
Easton HSX
Eagle Talon
Warrior Projekt (both 2010 and 2012 models)

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Lacrosse gloves would be more protective than what you were using, but not as protective as mid to high end ice hockey gloves. There are plenty of ice hockey gloves that have an anatomical or tight fit. Off the top of my head, here are some examples:

STX Surgeon 500 (STX started in lacrosse so the surgeon hockey gloves are certainly lacrosse influenced)
Bauer Supreme
CCM Tacks
Easton HSX
Eagle Talon
Warrior Projekt (both 2010 and 2012 models)
That's right. I would also recommend the Reebok/CCM KFS family as well as the Warrior Covert family. Easton Stealth would be good as well

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Are all Warrior gloves rather small/tight? I've been wearing the same size for years, my last two pair being Bauer, prior to that I had a pair of Eagles, and going back I had some Heaton's I believe. The fit was pretty comparable throughout.

I was ordering a couple things I needed online and decided to throw a pair of Warrior gloves in there that were on sale and I think I'm going to have to return them. They're the same size, but they feel like they're 3 inches smaller than the others. They actually hurt my hands if I'm just stickhandling a golf ball in my living room.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad