GDT: EQF Game 1: CBJ @ TBL - 11 Aug, 3pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
I’m not disappointed because I didn’t expect to win! I know we aren’t even close to being good enough.

just tired of this AHL mentality where it’s participation trophies and sugar coating everything
What are you talking about?

We got outscored by one goal over 150 minutes and 27 seconds. We're down 1-0 in a best of seven after one day's rest after a hard-fought best of five.

Our lack of scoring may very well cause us to lose the series. I won't deny that. But the not-even-close part is just lame.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
They put on a clinic defensively though, they allowed less shots and less scoring chances. While also having more shots and more scoring chances..
Hon... bullshit. If they were doing that well up against our ostensibly anemic offense, we'd have never made it to OT, let alone 5OT. You're either overrating their defense, underrating our offense, or both.

And before you make a comment about lucky bounces - recall that three of the four regulation goals scored were those sorts of lucky circumstances. The one shot that required offensive "sniping" skill that went in came from Oliver Bjorkstrand.

osurh18

Sep 22, 2008
Not sure why Torts took Tex off the first line. That line plays with a lot of pace when he's on it. Tampa (and Toronto for the 2 shifts they got) clearly had to adjust for their speed and pace. Once that line was broken up, all lines were reacting and trying to match Tampa. I assume Torts didn't want all the kids on one line or was trying to get Bjorkstrand going.....but put that line together and let them generate some chances.

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
The shots on goal were 88-63. In what was basically two-and-a-half games. If you pro-rate that out, per 60 minutes of hockey, we got outshot 35-25.

If the game ended after regulation with those shot totals, knowing what we have in goal and what we have on the blueline, you'd have absolutely said we had a chance to win that game.

Reactions: thebus88

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Hon... bullshit. If they were doing that well up against our ostensibly anemic offense, we'd have never made it to OT, let alone 5OT. You're either overrating their defense, underrating our offense, or both.

And before you make a comment about lucky bounces - recall that three of the four regulation goals scored were those sorts of lucky circumstances. The one shot that required offensive "sniping" skill that went in came from Oliver Bjorkstrand.
“Hon”

So we played great defense while giving up more shots, more scoring chances and more goals.

But they didn’t play good defense - even though they gave up less chances, less shots, and less goals?

Our offense did nothing, the Bolts were able to register double the amount of chances and outshot us 3-2 (probably more if you count blocked/missed shots). Looked way more dangerous in the o-zone and dominated possession.

So they outshot us, out possessed us, out scored us, gave up less scoring chances than us, gave up less shots than us but somehow CBJ deserved to win and were competitive because we played 5 OTs? Yeah no.

Reactions: ThisIsMyAlibi

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
“Hon”

So we played great defense while giving up more shots, more scoring chances and more goals.

But they didn’t play good defense - even though they gave up less chances, less shots, and less goals?

Our offense did nothing, the Bolts were able to register double the amount of chances and outshot us 3-2 (probably more if you count blocked/missed shots). Looked way more dangerous in the o-zone and dominated possession.

So they outshot us, out possessed us, out scored us, gave up less scoring chances than us, gave up less shots than us but somehow CBJ deserved to win and were competitive because we played 5 OTs? Yeah no.
I'm beginning to suspect you don't really comprehend this "bend but don't break" concept Tortorella does, like, at all.

Reactions: CPTN71

ThisIsMyAlibi

Fantilli&Werenski&Gaudreau&Laine&Johnson&Jiricek
Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
Outside of a couple SOGs, I didn’t honestly feel like we were competitive during the entirety of OT. Korpi playing out of his gourd propped us up, when in reality we rarely if ever threatened to win. We played not to lose, and it worked for a while. But they lived in our zone. We would make a stop, recover the puck, dump it to their zone and bunker down for another barrage.

It wasn’t a great game for CBJ.

Reactions: JacketFanInFL

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
By the way... everyone's paying so much attention to the Atkinson breakaway, and whether or not it was a penalty. Am I the only one annoyed that Atkinson let that guy catch up to him in the first place? He's not exactly slow. I know you've played a lot of hockey, but after doing nothing all game, you can't come up with the jets to get off a clean shot there?

I know we were on a kill; was he at the end of a shift, and I'm being too harsh?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Outside of a couple SOGs, I didn’t honestly feel like we were competitive during the entirety of OT. Korpi playing out of his gourd propped us up, when in reality we rarely if ever threatened to win. We played not to lose, and it worked for a while. But they lived in our zone. We would make a stop, recover the puck, dump it to their zone and bunker down for another barrage.

It wasn’t a great game for CBJ.
I seem to recall similar descriptions being applied to several of our games in the series against the Leafs. I'm also pretty sure we won that one.

More to the point - I'd love to hear viable proposals for an alternative strategy other than "just do that other thing." I can think of at least one team that would like to be playing a more offense-oriented strategy against the Bolts right now, but they can't, because they lost.

Reactions: thebus88 and KCbus

ThisIsMyAlibi

Fantilli&Werenski&Gaudreau&Laine&Johnson&Jiricek
Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
The onus isn’t on me to provide the path to victory. I’m analyzing the results and pointing out why we lost. It was pretty clear considering it was 100+ mins of the same thing over and over.

we don’t have the talent/skill to beat more skilled teams when they can withstand the rub of Tortball and push back. Time will tell if TB can withstand the grind for an entire series, but tonight doesn’t bode well for CBJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad