GDT: EQF Game 1: CBJ @ TBL - 11 Aug, 3pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
By the way... I'm not in any way saying Cam Atkinson played well tonight. He DID, however, have a shot on goal, unless the PBP guys completely goofed. He had one early in the first OT (or the second -- hell if I can remember at this point), and Jody made a point of mentioning that it was his first, and that the only other player in the game at that point without one was Wennberg.

So either the stats guys gave that shot to the wrong person, or the announcers did.

Not that it matters.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I hate when referees swallow their whistles in OT because they don't want a penalty to decide the game when in reality their failure to call penalties on a consistent standard actually influences the outcome of the game.

Reactions: Lumbus and thebus88

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
By the way... I'm not in any way saying Cam Atkinson played well tonight. He DID, however, have a shot on goal, unless the PBP guys completely goofed. He had one early in the first OT (or the second -- hell if I can remember at this point), and Jody made a point of mentioning that it was his first, and that the only other player in the game at that point without one was Wennberg.

So either the stats guys gave that shot to the wrong person, or the announcers did.

Not that it matters.
It's not showing on the scoresheet, so IDK.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008

Not that it matters.

Believe Jody later corrected himself, noting the shot was blocked before it got to Vas. Forget which tbl player it was.

Reactions: KCbus

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I wonder if he lost focused when Gavrikov got hurt. Perhaps he took a quick peek at him just by natural reaction.
Who cares? Korpisallo played good enough to win. I think a reasonable expectation for a goalie is to stop at least 11 out of every 12 shots. Well he stopped 85/88. I think that’s good enough.

The team just can’t score. Jenner is incompetent on a breakaway, Atkinson lost his speed and shot, and Foligno can’t do anything besides take stupid penalties or dump the puck in and end possession. For a vet Nyquist has been piss poor too. I don’t expect him to score an insane amount but he gets beat to the puck on the wall so often.

The ‘first’ line is the only line able to have any offensive zone time. That’s a serious problem. Do you not notice that the dump and chase is such a waste of energy. Just watch, seriously every shift you see Foligno/Jenner/Nyquist Dump the puck into the corner, the other two skate like hell to get the puck (waste energy) and the other team’s d beats them with one pass to the half wall, who then finds the center who beats our high forward and then it’s a 3-2 the other way. We have maybe 5 players with the ability to skate the puck into the zone and it’s infuriating. Skate the puck in the zone, it’s not that hard.

Reactions: thebus88

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
I wonder if he lost focused when Gavrikov got hurt. Perhaps he took a quick peek at him just by natural reaction.

That's what it felt like to me too.

Overall, gutty performance. This team leaves it out on the ice, much respect. As for the shot differential, that's just the way it's going to be for a team like this against teams like Toronto and Tampa.

If it was me, I utilize some fresh guys from the suite in Game 2. I imagine Murray will have to sit out the next game, so Nuti draws it. If Gav can't go, I look at Peeke. If Gav can go, I still look at Peeke for Kukan. Fresh legs up front, let Shore give it a shot for the game and perhaps sub Bemstrom back in for one. Let Wenny and Cam watch one from the press box.

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Converted fan of both teams after this, a Midsummer classic.

I believe that I can understand how much it sucks to “lose” this one.

However, the way I see it, one team won and the other didn’t. There was no “loser” in this game. Small to no consolation, but I offer it nonetheless.

It was a pleasure to banter with you folks on the Main Thread(s). You give as good as you get but I don’t think I saw any of your Members (who I’m familiar with) go below the belt, even when baited hard.

Best of luck in the next game. Hope your boys recover & no one suffered an injury that will carry over.

Cheers

C2D95DDC-1888-44DF-94C4-2E5F550CF4B1.gif

Or 5 OT’s

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
When one can't come up with a good argument to justify one's position to people such that they're convinced of one's position, generally the next step is to reevaluate one's position and/or improve one's argument and debate skills, not conclude by claiming "well, those people agreeing with the counterpoint are wrong, so there".

And keeping the game close like that is the whole thing behind Torts' strategy. That's evidence it worked. Given that we managed the fourth-longest game in NHL history, that aspect of the game worked surprisingly well. The offense wasn't able to step up, but that's a separate issue. It doesn't make the team "outclassed".
You’re so funny.

Never had a chance to win. There’s no point in trying to ‘convince’ you to change your opinion if you can’t see it already. Look at the stats. Not having scoring chances and playing not to lose instead of having the ability to win is absolutely getting outclassed.

Having a game go 8 periods means nothing.
If a team is outshot 10,000-1 and loses after 20 OT’s (becoming the longest game ever) does that mean they weren’t outclassed? By your logic it might?

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
I don't know why people are looking for reasons why the game-winner went in. It looked like it may have taken a slight deflection on one replay; it was definitely floating and knuckling and went top corner. I'd rather lose that game that way than because a centering pass goes off a defenseman's skate or something.

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
You’re so funny.

Never had a chance to win. There’s no point in trying to ‘convince’ you to change your opinion if you can’t see it already. Look at the stats. Not having scoring chances and playing not to lose instead of having the ability to win is absolutely getting outclassed.

If a team is outshot 10,000-1 and loses after 20 OT’s (becoming the longest game ever) does that mean they weren’t outclassed? By your logic it might?
This is hockey. One play can win a game quite frequently. And we had 63 shots on goal ourselves. And we had the lead twice.

I understand being disappointed, but good Christ man -- take a Xanax.

Reactions: thebus88 and Viqsi

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
You’re so funny.

Are you now claiming that we didn't get any scoring chances? Were those not, themselves, chances to win?

Reactions: thebus88

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Are you now claiming that we didn't get any scoring chances? Were those not, themselves, chances to win?
No. I’m saying the scoring chances weren’t equivalent at all. That’s factual, and obvious if you watched the game. Straw man argument.

Again, if a team gets outshot 5000-1 but lasts 20OT’s was it a close game? Are the teams close in skill?

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
This is hockey. One play can win a game quite frequently. And we had 63 shots on goal ourselves. And we had the lead twice.

I understand being disappointed, but good Christ man -- take a Xanax.
I’m not disappointed because I didn’t expect to win! I know we aren’t even close to being good enough.

just tired of this AHL mentality where it’s participation trophies and sugar coating everything

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
We got chances, but a lot fewer than the Bolts. If you were to replay the OTs over and over we win maybe 1 out of 4 times. For the most part they matched our grind while having better ability to keep puck possession - they outshot us by a game's worth of SoG. The outcome didn't feel unfair, and did expose our lack of skill upfront. That's what happens when players the caliber of Panarin and Duchene walk...

Reactions: Cowumbus

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I really don’t think the Hedman play is a penalty :shrug:
Did you think the Jones call was a penalty?

I just want consistency from referees and for them to not call the game differently just because it is OT. They set the precedent on the Jones call and then swallowed their whistles for essentially the exact same play.

They are either both a penalty or neither are a penalty but changing the way you call the game influences the outcome of the game if they want to admit it or not. Combined with the phantom high sticking on Texier and they striped shirts were terrible in this game.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Lol doing whatever you can to try and pivot from the fact that the logic behind your initial point makes zero sense. Playing multiple OTs mean nothing.
My initial point was simply that we weren't getting "completely outclassed". They were better offensively, but we put on a clinic defensively. We knew that going into the game that those were the respective strengths of the teams. Acting like it's not only news, but news so dramatic and horrifying that it means we're already doomed is needlessly alarmist.

Reactions: thebus88 and KCbus

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
My initial point was simply that we weren't getting "completely outclassed". They were better offensively, but we put on a clinic defensively. We knew that going into the game that those were the respective strengths of the teams. Acting like it's not only news, but news so dramatic and horrifying that it means we're already doomed is needlessly alarmist.
They put on a clinic defensively though, they allowed less shots and less scoring chances. While also having more shots and more scoring chances..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad