Epsom Salt Bath

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
I just did squats earlier and my legs are really stiff (were moreso before). I heard taking a bath with Epsom salt can help alleviate Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness, so I just took one and the stiffness seems to be less.

Anyway, so I was wondering if anyone has tried doing this and if it helps alleviate DOMS when it sets in the next couple of days later.

RangersMoogle

Oct 25, 2005
Ohio
www.tehinter.net
Maybe you're overtraining? If this was a max effort day, did you do warm-up sets? If you're doing higher volume work, too many reps? If the pain after strength training is bad enough that you need to find an alternative other than rest to alleviate it, something's wrong.

Not knockin' ya, dude. Just throwin' suggestions out there.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
Did 6 sets all building up to one set at max. I mean right now I only have very slight discomfort when doing stairs and walking is perfectly fine. It's not pain at all, just stiffness. Although usually it will hurt the day after and especially the 2nd day.

I just don't want to wake up tomorrow and not be able to walk, especially since I have a game on Tuesday and I want my legs to be good for that.

EDIT: Actually my legs feel pretty good now, just a little fatigued.

Last edited:

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
The Salts bath are good for soaks on things such as from stepping on a nail or other minor open wounds and seem to have a positive impact but over all the hot soak alone is just as good for post work out. The heat acts as a second warm down, increasing blood flow and eliminating the waste products from the muscles. By removing the lactic acid, your reducing the risk of the soreness that comes with it being left behind.

Set your alarm a little early and if needed get another hot soak in to start the day, get the blood flowing. HOT as in 100-105 F that gets the skin red. You should find the temp enough to make you start to sweat once you get 5-10 minutes if soaking the full body.

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
I dont think an added jog would help depending on the cause. A jog that is of an intensity to kick in the production of lactic acid sure wouldnt help. Increase oxygen demands on the cells defeats the purpose. With the soak your under low demand for Oxygen with increased blood flow to cleanse while delivering the oxygen for healing. The Jog would divert oxygen for fuel burning and production. Once soreness and stiffness has set in about all you can do is warm up and work through it if the root cause is lactic acid build up. IF its due to mucle fiber damage from the work out, rest is the cure. That is how strength is built. Work beyond capacity causing minor injury and rest for the rebuild which increases strength in response. Its why you have a target rotation and rest days built into training schedules.

RangersMoogle

Oct 25, 2005
Ohio
www.tehinter.net
I was just curious, I'm knowledgable about strength training (I'm in school to ultimately get my CSCS papers), but the conditioning part of training, I'm still learning.

Thanks for the concise answer, though.

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
I posted a reprint of an article on nutrition a while back that also contained in depth information on the three energy systems of the body. In that, it breaks down the time frames and intensity in which the body "shifts" through these "gears". I think a search on NUTRITION might bring it up for you. While its not specific to this topic it provides some detailed information that can fill in some blanks for ya.

Good on ya with the continued education and I hope the field you have choosen brings you much satisfaction.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad