GWT: EPL Week 34

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
My guess is that most of that for United is the penalties and that it doesn't include the "offside" chance for West Ham. It's missing context, in other words. Judging by what I recall from penalty stats, that ~1.65 xG. Admittedly, the second penalty was the right call, but between taking off one penalty (because it was out of the box IMO) and adding an unmarked shot from six yards out, and it's easy to see how West Ham would be ahead in that

Reactions: Jersey Fresh

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I just realised that ****ing ***** at Sportsnet are going to play the game Liverpool vs Chelsea on ****ing Sportsnet World? instead they will play ****ing curling and repeat of Blue Jays talk show on their main feeds.

That just show you how much they respect soccer fans in Canada. I cannot wait for Dazn.
Exactly why they couldn't afford to bid more to keep it. Their coverage is a joke, has been for years, and they deserve to lose it.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
My guess is that most of that for United is the penalties and that it doesn't include the "offside" chance for West Ham. It's missing context, in other words. Judging by what I recall from penalty stats, that ~1.65 xG. Admittedly, the second penalty was the right call, but between taking off one penalty (because it was out of the box IMO) and adding an unmarked shot from six yards out, and it's easy to see how West Ham would be ahead in that

He’s gonna come at you with the WhoScored team of the week next.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I don't know what the exact team will be but I would be shocked if Henderson isn't playing tomorrow. It should be a very personal game to him specifically.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Concerning news from the Brighton camp this past week. Apparently the senior members of the squad went to Hughton and asked to play with two strikers for some more attacking minded football. He said 1 is suitable enough and there was some unhappy responses to it from the team. The team then looked absolutely dejected today, especially Knockaert.

I know no one really cares about Brighton, but man this has me fired up especially going into the final stretch.

I would love to see CH play with a more attacking style, we have talent through the squad, let them go at teams!

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Click the "stats" part there for more detailed. Also the point was to prove that according to advanced stats, United deserved to win, unlike the poster I replied to. Or are we actually taking the mainboard approach that Corsi only matters when it supports one's own argument?

It wasn't outside. BT Sports studio analyzed that penalty to death with replays from numerous angles and nobody said it was outside. Only that from a different angle viewpoint, the ref might have ruled differently.

Last edited:

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I really don't care what advanced stats say or don't say. Outside of the two penalties, United did nothing.

West Ham had a rightful goal disallowed (where's that listed on your chart?), out-possessed United at home, and created a few other chances, one of which was required a world class save from De Gea. West Ham didn't deserve to lose and United didn't deserve to win.

But hey, that's football.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I don't know about deserved or not because ultimately it's about capitalizing on what happens but West Ham certainly looked the better team and United looked quite bad. Based on the run of play you definitely would have expected West Ham to win that game; they looked better everywhere.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Concerning news from the Brighton camp this past week. Apparently the senior members of the squad went to Hughton and asked to play with two strikers for some more attacking minded football. He said 1 is suitable enough and there was some unhappy responses to it from the team. The team then looked absolutely dejected today, especially Knockaert.

I know no one really cares about Brighton, but man this has me fired up especially going into the final stretch.

I would love to see CH play with a more attacking style, we have talent through the squad, let them go at teams!

Interesting what you write here, because what cost Hughton his job at Newcastle was that Ashley's lickspittle of the day perceived he listened to a small group of senior pros too much.

But even in those days Hughton's coaching has always been characterised by his caution.

Whether that caution is justified, I don't watch enough of Brighton to say. I missed Match of the Day last night, but I heard Martin Keown suggest that yesterday Brighton suffered a systematic failure - that Bournemouth were bypassing Stephens in central midfield with ease, and once this was done Brighton's defenders were unable to cope 1v1. Whether a more positive approach would have prevented this issue or left Brighton even more stretched - and necessarily vulnerable to the same threat - is a moot point.

Given the five point gap between them and Cardiff I think they'll be able to stagger over the finishing line to safety. Cardiff will likely throw the kitchen sink at them in midweek, and that Warnock's team possesses significantly less attacking quality or subtlety than Bournemouth may play into the Seagulls' hands. But resilience will be necessary, and after yesterday the state of their morale is an open question.

I understand Hughton is contracted until 2020. If he fulfils the task of keeping Brighton up, I expect he'll be cast aside this summer so that a foreign coach can be brought in further to develop the club.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I really don't care what advanced stats say or don't say. Outside of the two penalties, United did nothing.

Rashford almost scored twice and even if you discount the first penalty (which is odd since at the absolute worst it would have been a super dangerous FK) the second penalty was Martial in alone and if the defender doesn’t take him down he almost guaranteed slots it home.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I don't know about deserved or not because ultimately it's about capitalizing on what happens but West Ham certainly looked the better team and United looked quite bad. Based on the run of play you definitely would have expected West Ham to win that game; they looked better everywhere.

Not defensively. On that front neither side looked good.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Rashford almost scored twice and even if you discount the first penalty (which is odd since at the absolute worst it would have been a super dangerous FK) the second penalty was Martial in alone and if the defender doesn’t take him down he almost guaranteed slots it home.

I mean shots on target were even at 4 a piece. Bringing up disallowed goals is rather meaningless, of course they don't show up in stats. And now possession suddenly a stat that matters? Did it matter during the LVG era when United had a lot possession but did f*** all with it? United had more completed passes near goal than West Ham did.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
The one Rashford shot I remember had power, but from a terrible angle that Fabianski easily parried. Guess they had another shot on target from open that I had no memory of and probably wasn't very consequential.

The point in bringing up the penalties is the fact that the rest of the game, i.e. the other 89 minutes, was easily carried by West Ham. Again, all that matters is the final score, but the 'deserve' column (for all that matters), easily was in West Ham's favor. They weren't troubled at all by United. At Old Trafford.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
The one Rashford shot I remember had power, but from a terrible angle that Fabianski easily parried. Guess they had another shot on target from open that I had no memory of and probably wasn't very consequential.

The point in bringing up the penalties is the fact that the rest of the game, i.e. the other 89 minutes, was easily carried by West Ham. Again, all that matters is the final score, but the 'deserve' column (for all that matters), easily was in West Ham's favor. They weren't troubled at all by United. At Old Trafford.

Easily? He got half a glove on it and it went wide by like 2 feet.

The second chance was rashford’s header that zaboleta disrupted at the last second.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Crystal Palace has been awful they just continually give back the ball to city players.
Sometime they are not even pressured and they give it away.

They are lucky to not have given up 3 goals in the 1st half.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Crystal Palace has been awful they just continually give back the ball to city players.
Sometime they are not even pressured and they give it away.

They’re just gifting them the game. They don’t want to play City so are rolling over.

Do I have that right? It’s not about city being really good and scaring a team into panicking...can’t be that.

Reactions: bluesfan94

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
They’re just gifting them the game. They don’t want to play City so are rolling over.

Do I have that right? It’s not about city being really good and scaring a team into panicking...can’t be that.
I am honest this is not relevant to city pressure. They have hard time making simple controls. They might panick because it is city and not fullham against them I dont know. That is still awful at the level they play to see that though. Benteke and Zaha (for all his talent) have been braindead in their plays.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

City have earned the right to scare teams, but the point was always that teams lose to City before kickoff. Benteke over Michy? Thats proves the team doesn't want to attack, they want to hoof. When was the last time Benteke started? How much better have they been with Michy? 1 chance created in about 60 minutes so far today. At home.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
City have earned the right to scare teams, but the point was always that teams lose to City before kickoff. Benteke over Michy? Thats proves the team doesn't want to attack, they want to hoof. When was the last time Benteke started? How much better have they been with Michy? 1 chance created in about 60 minutes so far today. At home.
Maybe they felt better about their chances sitting back and countering, using Benteke as a target man and then going wide and putting it back in the box than building against City. Can't imagine why.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC

FFS. You’re still on this shit?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad