GWT: EPL Week 34

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Yeah, I suppose the players wouldn't look at it that way. I wouldn't put it past the fans to show up in blue but that's a different story.

Regardless, that team is just very meh for me, unless Pogba goes off. Totally not on City's level.

They're going to slip up. If they don't, fair play to them. Their games are very difficult though. One is out of the way but they also play more games than Liverpool do and have more chances to mess up. They also haven't been playing well.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I don’t expect them to win, but United has to care about it. Getting in the CL is bigger for the players and club finances than it is to see Liverpool fail.

That said, supporters might be willing to see it happen.

They’re the best chance, but I think both might win out

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
They're going to slip up. If they don't, fair play to them. Their games are very difficult though. One is out of the way but they also play more games than Liverpool do and have more chances to mess up. They also haven't been playing well.

They haven't. At the same time I'm just waiting for the game where we draw some shit tier team, but you've said all year this team is different, and they have been. We're getting hot at the right time.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I don’t expect them to win, but United has to care about it. Getting in the CL is bigger for the players and club finances than it is to see Liverpool fail.

That said, supporters might be willing to see it happen.

They’re the best chance, but I think both might win out

They don't have to win. We've got that going for us.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Salah coming out of his funk at the right time. Same for Keita. Henderson back in his natural position has been incredible; I still feel had Hendo not taken that red against City...

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
They have to win to qualify for the CL. 100% have to win or get a point at the absolute minimum. The situation is good for us.
The situation is not good because City is a lot better than them. Liverpool's only chance is City getting upset. Not great.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Salah coming out of his funk at the right time. Same for Keita. Henderson back in his natural position has been incredible; I still feel had Hendo not taken that red against City...
...I would actually be able to enjoy this season

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I can't imagine having 85 points through 34 games and being in the CL quarterfinals and not be enjoying the season
I don't know if "enjoy" is the word. I think that's just a general thing with sports. Do I "enjoy" sports? Not really.

That doesn't mean it isn't a positive experience. It's been fulfilling.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I can't imagine having 85 points through 34 games and being in the CL quarterfinals and not be enjoying the season

There’s a word for it not coming to mind here. I don’t understand how anyone could not be enjoying this. There’s only two or three teams in the world better right now. Maybe less? End of the season will decide that. Enjoy that shit.

We were watching Jay Spearing start for us in a cup final when the decade started. Fans better enjoy it cause something like that could happen again.

This game today, as far as in the last decade in the league goes, was one of our best moments. Liverpool dominated the match and Hazard had a few great plays after Liverpool had scored twice, but the rest of their team was locked down. The kind of football Liverpool were playing was the stuff Liverpool fans dreamed of playing, but in truth nobody imagined that it would ever actually happen. The first goal was a typical Liverpool goal born of hard work, the second a great strike, but again, if you actually thought this would be the way Liverpool Football Club played football, piss off. You just wouldn't be telling the truth if you said you thought this would happen.

It's beyond enjoying it now, it's appreciating it for what it is, it's champagne football and the only way the team won't win a trophy is if their rivals win 14 straight games to end the season. Still may win the CL, which is of equal importance to me. I will take the trophy no matter how it may come, I need it. Seen so many disappointments but this season won't be one of them, even if they don't win the league. I have never seen Liverpool play better sustained football than this in my entire time as a supporter. The team that didn't win in 2009 would be absolutely ravaged by this side, and the best part is I think there's more to come and that the team hasn't played at their maximum capability.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stray Wasp

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
I missed both goals as I hadn't switched back from the Masters soon enough after halftime, and that was still one of the most entertaining games I've seen this season. Hazard deserved a goal and probably should have stole a point for Chelsea, but I'll take that result for Arsenal.

All that needs to be dissected is that now teams know Salah can score those and will defend him differently. That was a huge goal beyond simply the game on the field.

If City wins all those games, full credit to them, but I have no idea how they will.

You may not be wrong, but I'd hope that teams aren't incompetent enough to change their game plan on Salah based on one world class goal. It was a helluva strike, but I believe they said he's only had one goal (PL goal?) from outside the box in the past year, or something along those lines.

People love to grasp, I don't think they understand how angles work :laugh:

In fairness, when I saw it happen live I thought he got pretty close to him. Like why not just do it in a different direction?

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
In fairness, when I saw it happen live I thought he got pretty close to him. Like why not just do it in a different direction?

There's two reasons it could be.

Some people just don't think about basic human behavior while playing sports. I had a teammate in high school who pulled his pants down to adjust his cup and didn't realize what he did until being told.

or

He thought the player was faking injury and blew snot next to him on purpose.

No idea what he's thinking but it's one or the other.

Reactions: KJS14

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013

Some people just don't think about basic human behavior while playing sports. I had a teammate in high school who pulled his pants down to adjust his cup and didn't realize what he did until being told.

or

I'm leaning toward it being the latter, but I agree that people just do stuff like that out of habit/mindlessness during sports.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden

or

I think it just has to do with the fact that he's not that close to Hazard when he does it. If you watch the full sequence you can see he first intend to blow it where he is but then realises Oliver walks by so he just take a step forward so he doesn't blow it on Olivers shoes. Which shows he actually think about human behavior. If it was actually close and something to make a thing about either Oliver who is looking right at him, Hazard or the medical staff would react but no one made a thing of it. Truth is he is probably something like 2-3 meters away from Hazard.

Even seeing it from the same level as the TV instead of from above like that makes a big difference

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D4IphCbXoAESChr?format=jpg&name=large

Last edited:
Reactions: KJS14

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
All that needs to be dissected is that now teams know Salah can score those and will defend him differently. That was a huge goal beyond simply the game on the field.

If City wins all those games, full credit to them, but I have no idea how they will.
I mean...I don't think teams are going to be defending Salah differently than they have been given how effective its been. One goal won't change that. Still it was a huge goal and a wonderful strike; I hope he's been working on that adjustment. He should do some personal training sessions with Robben after the season.

City have Tottenham, United and Leicester while we have Newcastle and Wolverhampton (toughest games in the final 4/5). They unfortunately have the advantage of controlling their own destiny. As much as it's likely that they slip up there's no guarantee that we win out either. I think there's a good chance we draw at least one game in the last 4 so realistically we're going to be hoping for City to trip up twice in their last 5. It can happen, and they certainly have the tougher opponents. I'm certainly a lot more confident and my hopes are a lot higher now that Chelsea is out of the way (especially with the form Hazard was in going to the game).

Hendo lead us to the promised land.

Also looking back on 15/16 I still can't believe that season happened. What in the world went on with the PL that season? Leicester won with 81 points and still finished 10 points ahead of 2nd. Bizarre.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
We were watching Jay Spearing start for us in a cup final when the decade started. Fans better enjoy it cause something like that could happen again.

Two seasons ago I was watching my hockey team be one OT goal away from the SC finals. Thank god I was enjoying it, because this year I am watching our "Salah" and "Mane" and "van Dijk" tear it up for other teams...

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Man City is also going for a quadruple. That gives extra motivation for the team to not slip up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad