GWT: EPL Week 33

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
I mean, if you think Leno, Sokratis and either Guendouzi or Torreira get into Liverpool, Spurs or City's 11, I can't really help you. I think they're solid players, but all have questions for me going forward. Maybe Leno for Lloris because he's been awful at times.

You're either not getting it , or you're intentionally missing the point.

-Arsenal need to rebuild.
-70 million is enough to find players to allow them to do that at this stage. (They already added 3 long term pieces last summer.)
- Once they clean their wage structure up , make some money off dead wood, instil Emery's system and grow organically THEN they can go get the big fish.

If you drop big dough on a player now , it won't do anything for them. Nothing. Man City and Liverpool will still be juggernauts and they'll be a team fighting for top 4 with an out of whack wage budget, aging core , and no real plan to be anything else.

If Arsenal want to compete with the big boys, they need to build it correctly. You're caught up on not finding good players for 70 million , when they clearly found value for that exact amount last summer. I truly don't know what to tell you.

No, you can't spend 70 million and become title contenders. That's not what anyone here is suggesting.

As for Leno, Guendouzi and Torreira , you're judging them far too early into their careers. Would people have said Robertson was a star LB when Liverpool signed him? Would he have gotten into City's starting 11 whilst playing at Hull City?

I mean c'mon. Work with me here.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Hudson-Odoi and Loftus-Cheek start again, Sarri might actually save his job if he keeps it up with these lineups.

Reactions: Blender

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
You're either not getting it , or you're intentionally missing the point.

-Arsenal need to rebuild.
-70 million is enough to find players to allow them to do that at this stage. (They already added 3 long term pieces last summer.)
- Once they clean their wage structure up , make some money off dead wood, instil Emery's system and grow organically THEN they can go get the big fish.

If you drop big dough on a player now , it won't do anything for them. Nothing. Man City and Liverpool will still be juggernauts and they'll be a team fighting for top 4 with an out of whack wage budget, aging core , and no real plan to be anything else.

If Arsenal want to compete with the big boys, they need to build it correctly. You're caught up on not finding good players for 70 million , when they clearly found value for that exact amount last summer. I truly don't know what to tell you.

No, you can't spend 70 million and become title contenders. That's not what anyone here is suggesting.

As for Leno, Guendouzi and Torreira , you're judging them far too early into their careers. Would people have said Robertson was a star LB when Liverpool signed him? Would he have gotten into City's starting 11 whilst playing at Hull City?

I mean c'mon. Work with me here.

Most Liverpool fans aren't smart enough to check their bias out when it comes to Arsenal.

When Leno was bought they yelled out that he was garbage and "you get what you paid for."

Torreira has been a better signing than Keita, who was supposed to tear up the EPL.

They also thought Arsenal was going to be like Man U when SAF left with zero direction and making dumb signings.

Emery has won more trophies than Klopp but he's not at his level though....

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
And Emery showed who's daddy when he spanked Klopp's ass in a final.

You obviously didn't watch that game if that's what you took from it. The referee ignored three blatant handballs in the span of 10 minutes to the point where every neutral on this forum thought the referee was blind. Please stick to Arsenal where it appears you know what you're talking about.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
You obviously didn't watch that game if that's what you took from it. The referee ignored three blatant handballs in the span of 10 minutes to the point where every neutral on this forum thought the referee was blind. Please stick to Arsenal where it appears you know what you're talking about.

Then please don't talk about Arsenal because you don't know shit about them as well.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
I was talking about Emery, not Arsenal. Last I checked they aren't one and the same.

But you've been oh so wrong about Arsenal before. "You get what you paid for".

Yeah, I don't base my opinions off of simple things like that. It's a far more nuanced approach for me.

I genuinely like both of them.

It's a response towards Emery not being at Klopp's level. RESULTS show that he is.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
But you've been oh so wrong about Arsenal before. "You get what you paid for".

You sound big mad. Looking at the table you do get what you pay for.

It's a response towards Emery not being at Klopp's level. RESULTS show that he is.

No, they do not. Sevilla had the fourth best squad in Spain every year Emery was there. The only time they managed to finish fourth was the season someone else was managing the team. He failed to win the league his first year at PSG as well. What results are those? Klopp managed to win a far more difficult league two times and has brought Liverpool up to their current level. This is the second club he has taken to a CL final. Emery meanwhile is doing the same thing he did at Sevilla, and the last few games will decide if once again he manages to make the fourth best squad finish below fourth.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018

Results are just that - results. They're not something that exist by themselves to be judged. A lot of factors go into results. Some in the hands of managers , others not.

By this metric , Claudio Ranieri's a better manager than Pochettino. It's just not that simple.

And if we're weighing trophies (which I'm loathe to do, but I'll play along) , I'd certainly place Klopp's Bundesliga titles above anything Emery's done.

I don't know why fans have such a hard time rating opposing players/managers objectively. Hop over to the Serie A thread, I just told a Juve fan they're being too harsh on Allegri.

Klopp is probably top 3-5 in the world. He's built whatever he's won , a lot of managers can't say that.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Ehhhh, at the beginning of the year people were saying Arsenal was the 6th best side

I think a lot of that was down to the fact that the point at which Arsenal became the fourth best squad was due to some of the things other teams have done coming home to roost. Also, a lot of people, myself included, thought that Sarri would do a better job.

Arsenal does have some major flaws, but the other two teams have ones that are even larger. I thought that became clear at the point when Spurs didn't buy any players or when Chelsea thought Higuain could play effectively in this league in 2019. Those two teams have definitely given a helping hand here.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
I think a lot of that was down to the fact that the point at which Arsenal became the fourth best squad was due to some of the things other teams have done coming home to roost. Also, a lot of people, myself included, thought that Sarri would do a better job.

Arsenal does have some major flaws, but the other two teams have ones that are even larger. I thought that became clear at the point when Spurs didn't buy any players or when Chelsea thought Higuain could play effectively in this league in 2019. Those two teams have definitely given a helping hand here.

Yes it has nothing to do with Arsenal even slightly improving. It's all about other teams handing Arsenal a favour. Talk about going full Pejorative Slur to try and make a point across.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Yes it has nothing to do with Arsenal even slightly improving. It's all about other teams handing Arsenal a favour. Talk about going full ****** to try and make a point across.

Big mad again. I could go through many points explaining why Arsenal are better but that would take too long. The main reason Arsenal have slightly improved is because they don't have Wenger playing one CB anymore. I summed it up in the shortest feasible way because they aren't my club, they also aren't my club's rivals so I don't really care about them, and I don't have time to write that much. I never write that much about Spurs either for those reasons. Their away form is still oddly dreadful, the best way to fix that is to add more quality.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Hazard is enough of a Liverpool killer when he isn't in form. Yeesh

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Oof...feel like that should have been a penalty for the bodycheck on Hazard there.

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
Wait, we are calling Sokratis a good buy now? That is extremely generous, he is the type West Ham and Leicester should be signing not Arsenal. DCL bullied him pretty well yesterday

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Wait, we are calling Sokratis a good buy now? That is extremely generous, he is the type West Ham and Leicester should be signing not Arsenal. DCL bullied him pretty well yesterday

He's serviceable considering what they had before. He will have to be replaced though.

Ideally you sign players like that the same way Liverpool signed Matip, to get you where you need to go and replace him once it looks like the team is better than what he brings to the table. Matip is obviously now our current starting CB, but he was the third and fourth CB which is where Sokratis should be once Arsenal are making jumps forward.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
Yeah, that was all Chelsea from what I've seen.

Missed the Hazard goal, though. Keen to see it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad