Dec 29, 2010
After yesterday:

Non-penalty goals

1 Sergio Agüero Manchester City 16
2 Sadio Mané Liverpool 16
3 Raheem Sterling Manchester City 15
4 Mohamed Salah Liverpool 14
5 Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang Arsenal 14

Mane is such a great player. The fact that he puts in a shift everywhere on the field too...he doesn't quite have Firmino's off the ball movement and general link-up, but his runs, defensive work and dynamism put him in the same tier this year. Mane can still get more consistent too.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Arsenal definitely have the easiest run in. Their hardest games are away to Everton and Leicester. Their strongest opponent at home is I guess Newcastle, although it'd kinda a tossup between them Palace and Brighton. And unless they get a comeback on Thursday, they won't have any additional fixtures.

United travel to Goodison Park, but also host Chelsea and City. Plus FA cup and Champions league games.

Chelsea travel to Everton, Liverpool, United, and Leicester, plus have Europa league games.

Spurs travel to Liverpool and City and host Everton, plus have Champions league games.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Finally got around to watching United-Arsenal. Woof.

I've not going to complain cause we're on a run where luck has been on our side.

But damn. That one hurts to lose.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Personally I think Arsenal, and most teams, should focus on competitions like the EL more. If you win the EL you are automatically in the CL for one, but also it's a trophy to win over some very tough competition, and what's the point of only focusing on getting into the CL if you can't even win the EL anyway?

I think the focus should be on both, obviously, but it should be upsetting to get knocked out of the EL is all.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Personally I think Arsenal, and most teams, should focus on competitions like the EL more. If you win the EL you are automatically in the CL for one, but also it's a trophy to win over some very tough competition, and what's the point of only focusing on getting into the CL if you can't even win the EL anyway?

I think the focus should be on both, obviously, but it should be upsetting to get knocked out of the EL is all.

Arsenal definitely has a higher percentage chance of making top 4 vs winning the EL. Even as a two legged fixture, all it takes is one bad night and you're basically out of the EL.

And the point of focusing on making the CL is that you get like an extra 50 million in funds.

Reactions: S E P H

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA

Arsenal used Utd game to up their fitness level for Rennes game.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
if Arsenal lose this tie i'm not going to lose too much sleep tbh. if it means we are fresher for the remaining pl games and end up getting into the CL through top 4, I would rather that.

I would much rather win the EL than hang on to 4th by the skin of our teeth, but obviously the second option is probably the easier of the two, though if it takes all our concentration to do the latter, then what's even really the point of getting into the CL

Reactions: Evilo

JaymzB

Apr 8, 2003
Toronto
Call me old fashioned, but considering Arsenal don't have a European Trophy that still exsists in their Trophy case, I'd much rather have a EL title than a top 4 finish.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Call me old fashioned, but considering Arsenal don't have a European Trophy that still exsists in their Trophy case, I'd much rather have a EL title than a top 4 finish.
Same but Europa League looks much tougher to accomplish at this point.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I mean, isnt that why Arsenal hired Emery?

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Arsenal definitely have the easiest run in. Their hardest games are away to Everton and Leicester. Their strongest opponent at home is I guess Newcastle, although it'd kinda a tossup between them Palace and Brighton. And unless they get a comeback on Thursday, they won't have any additional fixtures.

United travel to Goodison Park, but also host Chelsea and City. Plus FA cup and Champions league games.

Chelsea travel to Everton, Liverpool, United, and Leicester, plus have Europa league games.

Spurs travel to Liverpool and City and host Everton, plus have Champions league games.

My neighbor 2 doors down is a Everton fan. I am a Chelsea fan. One day, a few years ago, I was walking around the block wearing my blue Chelsea hoodie. He came out of his house, saw me and said "really"?

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I don't share the same hatred (or at least, a profound sense of rivalry) as other West Ham fans (I became interested in the late 90s, visited forums, got stuck there, got to know some people - like here with the Sabres), but even as a foreign fan I'd still rather beat Spurs once than Watford or someone twice.

In Bilic's first season (it was so close, even with all the injuries, the boys had 4 absolutely shocking ref decisions to leave them 6-8 points short of what they could've gotten, and that would've meant Champion's League, maybe the summer goes better, maybe Daves invest, maybe Payet stays etc.) we took:
- 4 points off Arsenal
- 4 points off City
- 3 points off Spurs
- 4 points off Utd
- 4 points off Chelsea (should've been 6, but Bobby Madley decided to call a pen for a non-existant foul 2 meters outside the box)
- 6 points off Liverpool (and knocked them out of the FA Cup too, was Klopp's first season)

It was magical. "Only" 7th in the end, but if was so close to so much more, and it felt so much more.

We're currently "okay", we're getting some better players signed, Pellegrini is a serious manager... But the magic isn't really there.
(soulless new stadium doesn't help)

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I don't share the same hatred (or at least, a profound sense of rivalry) as other West Ham fans (I became interested in the late 90s, visited forums, got stuck there, got to know some people - like here with the Sabres), but even as a foreign fan I'd still rather beat Spurs once than Watford or someone twice.

In Bilic's first season (it was so close, even with all the injuries, the boys had 4 absolutely shocking ref decisions to leave them 6-8 points short of what they could've gotten, and that would've meant Champion's League, maybe the summer goes better, maybe Daves invest, maybe Payet stays etc.) we took:
- 4 points off Arsenal
- 4 points off City
- 3 points off Spurs
- 4 points off Utd
- 4 points off Chelsea (should've been 6, but Bobby Madley decided to call a pen for a non-existant foul 2 meters outside the box)
- 6 points off Liverpool (and knocked them out of the FA Cup too, was Klopp's first season)

It was magical. "Only" 7th in the end, but if was so close to so much more, and it felt so much more.

We're currently "okay", we're getting some better players signed, Pellegrini is a serious manager... But the magic isn't really there.
(soulless new stadium doesn't help)
I remember them that year. Dmitri Payet FC

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I remember them that year. Dmitri Payet FC

He was the star, but it was more than that. Noble was in the form of his life, Lanzini was a revelation, Antonio was plowing past people and scoring goals when everyone was injured, Reid was a rock at the back, Adrian had a great year, Creswell was fantastic, etc.
It was just clicking, and they were actually playing good football, quick counters, imaginative going forward, etc.
If not for the injuries during November (something like 8 starters were out for about 6 games) and the blown calls during the last 6-7 games (non-existant red for Kouyate vs Palace, non-existant last-minute penalties vs Chelsea and Leicester away) it could've been a historic season.

This way, it was still memorable. West Ham is not supposed to take to many points off the top-6.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->