GWT: EPL week 30

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
There is no way to determine what his intention was, what factored was the touch (Janmaat's foot) came first
then Sterling touched the ball after the Janmaat's touch.

There's no way to determine what Sterling's intention was when he ran towards the ball and tried to shoot? Quit while you're behind, you obviously don't understand the rules.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Thats onside, the touch comes first, then comes Sterlings what ever intention he had, that effected the play
when he was offside he didn't effected the play, he didn't have the ball, he wasn't attempting to hold the ball
or shoot it, nor go for the ball, the ball came to him, ergo; not effecting the play, his presence alone isn't the factor

The touch came first.

Reactions: gary69

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
It’s obviously an offside play.

Sterling is in an offside position when Aguero touches the ball.
He challenges the defender for the ball.
That’s all that matters.

It’s absolutley irrelevant if the defender or if Sterling touched the ball first, the act of challenging for the ball is what puts Sterling offside.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Thats onside, the touch comes first, then comes Sterlings what ever intention he had, that effected the play
when he was offside he didn't effected the play, he didn't have the ball, he wasn't attempting to hold the ball
or shoot it, nor go for the ball, the ball came to him, ergo; not effecting the play, his presence alone isn't the factor

The touch came first.

That's not what the rule says, now you're making up rules as you go along.

D1POFQWX4AAV8eO.jpg

Sterling is obviously offside at the time of Aguero's pass. Then he runs to the ball and tries to shoot so he's offside even though the defender tackles the ball into him. End of story.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Frustrating thing is that they initially made the correct call. It was immediately called back. I thought it was clear as day.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Frustrating thing is that they initially made the correct call. It was immediately called back. I thought it was clear as day.

That's the real kicker. Instead of make the right call the referee was determined to do the wrong thing. He'll probably be working Championship games next weekend.

Reactions: koyvoo

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Safe to say the Brighton game was pleasing today! Derby win away from home? Yeah I'll take that. This team is great at getting up for big games and I love it

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I’ve never seen a player be offside in more preventable situation than Jesus.

For a player that was supposed to have a high soccer IQ, he seems like a stupid player.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Also, for the argument, the PGMOL said the goal shouldn’t have counted becuase Sterling was in an offside position and then became active in play by challenging for the ball.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Also, for the argument, the PGMOL said the goal shouldn’t have counted becuase Sterling was in an offside position and then became active in play by challenging for the ball.
All over social media, the two different post game shows in flipping through etc it’s pretty unanimous. There’s only a very, very tiny segment of people/pundits who aren’t saying it was a clear offside and a very odd changing of the original call.

Edit-
Even Sterling has basically admitted it without actually saying it in his post game interview just now.

Reactions: Hot Pockets

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos

The touch came first.

I can't believe people don't understand this rule. But then again, half the refs seem to be confused as well.

It's a 100% offside.

The only way that play is NOT offside is if the defender has ball UNDER CONTROL.
Which he clearly does not, he's trying to clear danger away from a player who was obviously offside.

Ref bottled it.
And coupled with the pen against us the other week (joke call when Anderson squinted at Silva) Man City's gotten themselves a couple of wins off of bad ref calls just in the last 3 games.

Reactions: Gecklund and koyvoo

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
This was expected, city aren't exactly playing well and will most likely progress in the UCL and FA Cup. Liverpool just need to keep pace.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I refuse to complain about the ref, because Watford didn't show up to play. Watford lost that game before kick off

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I refuse to complain about the ref, because Watford didn't show up to play. Watford lost that game before kick off

City had very few chances of value prior to the goal. So yes, I will complain about the ref. They were playing like shit before that.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
City had very few chances of value prior to the goal. So yes, I will complain about the ref. They were playing like **** before that.
So were Watford Watfords while strategy was to give City corner kicks. Aguero missed a sitter in the first half. I think someone else did as well. Watford didn't try and didn't play their best lineup. They deserved to lose

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
I thought Watford mailed it in with their starting XI and I said as much in this thread. However, when they reached the half at 0-0 it looked like there was a chance to bring on Deeney and Deulofeu at 60 and make it interesting.

Bottom line, that illegitimate goal completely changed the game.

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
Crazy that United could be tied for 3rd with Spurs if they defeat Arsenal. Who would have thought that only a few short months ago.

Reactions: Gecklund

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Chelsea have 2 games in hand atm...could be in 3rd. Arsenal should beat United really, but we will see.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Can you inbox me Thursday’s winning lotto numbers?

Well very shortly after Solskjaer took over I said they could do it. I thought it was pretty obvious at the time.

Can't help you there. If I knew them I'd tell my parents so they could win and I could retire. Then I could hang out on the forum all day long like the retirees here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad