GWT: EPL week 29

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I don’t know that it’s early in the window, as you never know in football. A good chance is gone (if they don’t pull it off) and we all know City will continue to improve and spend as well. I also can’t think Chelsea, United and Spurs will sit on their hands. I don’t expect the core to go, but it will remain to be seen what happens if big money from Real or PSG unsettled players.
There aren't many players PSG would want on that Pool team tbh.
MNC is the front 3. Maybe if they can get Salah, sell Cavani and put Mbappe up front. But not worth the trouble and the financial impact.
In midfield, Fabinho would be obviously the target, but move failed once, I don't see it anymore.
On defense, they could use a better LB if Kurzawa doesn't come back to form, and then VVD, but they have Marquinhos (whom Fernandez called best defenseman in Europe last weekend), Thiago Silva (captain), Kimpembe (home grown) and Kehrer (can play RB, CB, LB and DM).
In goal, they're fine with Areola and Buffon for the time being.

Frankly, PSG won't unsettle anyone on Liverpool. They will target a 6, an 8, a possible LB and if they make a big Cavani sell, a RW.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Isn't that what Keita was brought in for?

Has worked out great hasn't it? :sarcasm:

With some patience maybe because we've seen flashes of what he was brought in for. However he looks to be nowhere near tactical ready. More often then not other's has had to do his dirty work for him when he ends up on the wrong side of the ball

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Im not sure how KDB being banged up will effect them. You also have factor in the champions league. I think they would priortize that over the league as that is why Pep was brought in. This is far from over, but Liverpool doesnt control it anymore and arent playing well.
KDB has been banged up all season. What Liverpool had going for them was controlling their destiny. I'm not counting on City dropping points like Klopp is

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Yeah Henderson has been very inconsistent since he got plantar fasciitis. He goes from performing as he did against Bayern to dropping duds like against Everton. He's probably not long for Liverpool, or at least definitely not in a starting capacity.

Most of the core is pretty young though so there will definitely be opportunity moving forward to strengthen and push on for the next couple seasons I would hope.

Knew it was over when Klopp gave his "First Chance" press conference. I don't even think he believes anymore

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Wait, Hendo isn't Alpha?????
Unfortunately it seems that time has come and gone as quick as it happened. RIP Alpha Hendo.

Isn't that what Keita was brought in for?
Yeah, it is, and he's been thoroughly underwhelming. It's really hard to tell if it's a confidence issue or if he just can't cope with the style of play. He had a few really good games but for the most part they've been against teams that have given him a bit more space to drive and his defensive responsibility has been pretty low.

Knew it was over when Klopp gave his "First Chance" press conference. I don't even think he believes anymore
Maybe not...hard to tell with him. I've thought a few times with Milner he'd get an extended stay on the bench but he keeps getting thrown out there despite looking past it (though tbf at this point in time we don't have that many options). I'm hoping Chambo comes back 100% and stays healthy and Keita acclimatizes...otherwise there's a lot of hope on Woodburn/Jones stepping up and maybe a new midfield buy in the summer (though again...Trent could end up moving there as well).

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
There aren't many players PSG would want on that Pool team tbh.
MNC is the front 3. Maybe if they can get Salah, sell Cavani and put Mbappe up front. But not worth the trouble and the financial impact.
In midfield, Fabinho would be obviously the target, but move failed once, I don't see it anymore.
On defense, they could use a better LB if Kurzawa doesn't come back to form, and then VVD, but they have Marquinhos (whom Fernandez called best defenseman in Europe last weekend), Thiago Silva (captain), Kimpembe (home grown) and Kehrer (can play RB, CB, LB and DM).
In goal, they're fine with Areola and Buffon for the time being.

Frankly, PSG won't unsettle anyone on Liverpool. They will target a 6, an 8, a possible LB and if they make a big Cavani sell, a RW.
Honestly, I don't really think there are a ton of players that they would actively pursue. But I do think if Real starts to make rumblings about a player, they're going to be touted as making a bid or an inquiry. Whether that's a concrete bid, or the players agent using them as a stalking horse to get a bigger bid from Real or Bayern, I don't quite know.

I do feel that there's a world where Salah, Alisson, Fabinho, Mane and VVD end up seeing active interest from some of the bigger clubs in the world, whether that's PSG doing it, or just Real doing it. I think all five of those players could honestly play some part in one of the super clubs, but whether or not it fits due to players already there, so be it.

I also don't think they're bound to leave either, but all I'm trying to say is, while this Liverpool side should be setup to compete at the highest level for two or three seasons, it can quickly change just as as fast as it got better.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Yeah, it is, and he's been thoroughly underwhelming. It's really hard to tell if it's a confidence issue or if he just can't cope with the style of play. He had a few really good games but for the most part they've been against teams that have given him a bit more space to drive and his defensive responsibility has been pretty low.

Maybe not...hard to tell with him. I've thought a few times with Milner he'd get an extended stay on the bench but he keeps getting thrown out there despite looking past it (though tbf at this point in time we don't have that many options). I'm hoping Chambo comes back 100% and stays healthy and Keita acclimatizes...otherwise there's a lot of hope on Woodburn/Jones stepping up and maybe a new midfield buy in the summer (though again...Trent could end up moving there as well).
The team has passed Henderson by. These things happen.

Klopp is going to try to win with the old guard. Which is dumb, but he has proven it at every stop of his career. It's not fair on Chamberlain to assume he can rescue the season, and its naive to think Klopp will trust Jones or Woodburn to do so.

Keita got sick, just like the rest of the team, as they were going into form. Shaqiri can only be found on a milk carton right now.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
The team has passed Henderson by. These things happen.

Indeed. If he accepts a squad role though I would be on board with keeping him; he's certainly passionate about the club and would still be useful enough as a rotation option.

Klopp is going to try to win with the old guard. Which is dumb, but he has proven it at every stop of his career. It's not fair on Chamberlain to assume he can rescue the season, and its naive to think Klopp will trust Jones or Woodburn to do so.

I wasn't mentioning Chambo, Jones or Woodburn as answers to this season...more looking forward to future seasons.

Keita got sick, just like the rest of the team, as they were going into form. Shaqiri can only be found on a milk carton right now.
I had pointed that out about Shaqiri though even when he was producing...he was opportunistic but his overall play left a lot to be desired and the warning signs were there. I just don't think he's good enough and while I'm happy with some of the contributions he's made it does sort of leave us in a bad spot that he's supposed to be one of the rotational options up front for Mane/Salah/Firmino but he isn't anywhere near their caliber. It's why I was really hoping during the summer, or even the winter, they'd have brought in someone that is more of a like-for-like player to Mane/Salah. Fekir would have been a good option mostly for his quality, in hindsight, but at the end of the day it sounds like it was Fekir or Alisson so...

Hoping Wilson gets a legitimate shot at the team but we'll see. If he's not up to that level and needs to move on I really hope they bring in someone who can be more effective in rotation with Mane/Salah.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Honestly, I don't really think there are a ton of players that they would actively pursue. But I do think if Real starts to make rumblings about a player, they're going to be touted as making a bid or an inquiry. Whether that's a concrete bid, or the players agent using them as a stalking horse to get a bigger bid from Real or Bayern, I don't quite know.

I do feel that there's a world where Salah, Alisson, Fabinho, Mane and VVD end up seeing active interest from some of the bigger clubs in the world, whether that's PSG doing it, or just Real doing it. I think all five of those players could honestly play some part in one of the super clubs, but whether or not it fits due to players already there, so be it.

I also don't think they're bound to leave either, but all I'm trying to say is, while this Liverpool side should be setup to compete at the highest level for two or three seasons, it can quickly change just as as fast as it got better.
Oh I agree. Real would clearly be interested in Salah. Plus he sells jerseys. I don't think they're interested in VVD and Alisson given their depth there however.
VVD could be a target for Bayern, City, maybe Barca when Pique goes, etc...
Fabinho could be a target for plenty of teams since elite 6s aren't very common.

I was merely talking about PSG situation.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Oh I agree. Real would clearly be interested in Salah. Plus he sells jerseys. I don't think they're interested in VVD and Alisson given their depth there however.
VVD could be a target for Bayern, City, maybe Barca when Pique goes, etc...
Fabinho could be a target for plenty of teams since elite 6s aren't very common.

I was merely talking about PSG situation.

Yeah, Alisson's problem is he has so many other big clubs with decent/better keepers. There's only so many spots.

I do think Liverpool is poised to keep most, but you never know. As long as Klopp is there, most will stay.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Yeah, Alisson's problem is he has so many other big clubs with decent/better keepers. There's only so many spots.

I do think Liverpool is poised to keep most, but you never know. As long as Klopp is there, most will stay.

Juventus, PSG, and Bayern (if they decide Neuer is too old) are really the only ones, but none of them are in immediate need to spend the like 100-150m it would take to pull Alisson away from Liverpool

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Was looking at the table and saw that every team in the top 6 has at least two more games against top 6 clubs. Arsenal only has one left and that's against United in the Emirates next Sunday. Still though, Anthony Taylor has really ****ed us up at the moment.

Easily the biggest club legend for Arsenal post invincibles. Still gutted that he is leaving, but he deserves the playing time.
Wilshere?

No one is speaking about Jean-Michael Seri being benched for Fulham? He was just linked to Barca, PSG, Spurs, Arsenal the past 2 seasons.
He plays at Fulham dude, nobody looks good except for Mitrovic.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Was looking at the table and saw that every team in the top 6 has at least two more games against top 6 clubs. Arsenal only has one left and that's against United in the Emirates next Sunday. Still though, Anthony Taylor has really ****ed us up at the moment.

Wilshere?

He plays at Fulham dude, nobody looks good except for Mitrovic.
No, Wilshere isn't even close to being a club legend. He didn't start in any of our FA Cup Final wins and was injured too often. His quality wasn't close to Ramsey post 2013.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I don't think Liverpool will find a player that can play with the intensity Liverpool require in midfield while at the same time being creative. Not many midfield players are that complete. A younger Modric would fit. Really not many others. Keita could be that player that gives them a bit more spark I guess. Ox got some potential as well, but that midfield will always "lack creativity" the way Klopp wants them to play. For me that is not really a problem - there is not a single team that can be good at everything.

What I find surprising, and this is to Klopp and Liverpool's credit, is that they are able to win games through high intensity so often. Such a difficult way to play the game both mentally and physically - most teams fail to deliver consistently. Can they keep it up for the rest of the season? I'm starting to believe they need some Salah magic to give them points in games they don't deserve them in.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I don't think Liverpool will find a player that can play with the intensity Liverpool require in midfield while at the same time being creative. Not many midfield players are that complete. A younger Modric would fit. Really not many others. Keita could be that player that gives them a bit more spark I guess. Ox got some potential as well, but that midfield will always "lack creativity" the way Klopp wants them to play. For me that is not really a problem - there is not a single team that can be good at everything.

What I find surprising, and this is to Klopp and Liverpool's credit, is that they are able to win games through high intensity so often. Such a difficult way to play the game both mentally and physically - most teams fail to deliver consistently. Can they keep it up for the rest of the season? I'm starting to believe they need some Salah magic to give them points in games they don't deserve them in.

Kovacic would work much better in Klopp's system than in Sarri's, especially used the way he is.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Kovacic would work much better in Klopp's system than in Sarri's, especially used the way he is.

Could be yes. Personally I think he should go back to Italy, but I could see him working better at both Spurs and Liverpool than Chelsea.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Well, when you take into account that in the previous five years the NUFC's academy's product of greatest note was Paul Dummett little wonder that some souls are thrilling to Longstaff's successes.

As you say, there is most certainly a reason Longstaff has taken so long to break into the team - he's neither physically imposing nor blessed with inordinate skill.

Coincidentally, Rice's midfield partner, Noble, is an illustration that a player can lack both those things and endure at EPL level. However I think that means, like Noble, Longstaff will prove more dependent than most on having a balanced midfield around him to help bring the best out of him once clubs around the league have scouted him.

Noble, incidentally, is a reminder that NUFC fans don't have the monopoly on becoming overexcited about prospects who subsequently crash their heads off a modest ceiling.

As for Rice, he deserves plenty of praise of his performance yesterday. But caution is the best path, not least when the Hammers have taken one point from their previous five away games, and if the hype increases, so will the expectation that he dominates beyond his back yard. Whisper it, but the present fuss surrounding Rice - a mixture of acclaim for his performances, sunny predictions for his future, and debate about whether centre back or central midfield will turn out to be his best position - carries echoes of a young Jack Rodwell.

Mind, given his performances for sunderland post-August 2016, Jack Rodwell is someone I won't have a word said against.
Caution is always the best path for any youngster breaking into the first team. As it relates to West Ham's form and expectations for Rice, his performances have been remarkably consistent, and outside of Lukasz Fabianski, that makes him something of a unicorn on this squad. I don't think anyone, least of all me, is expecting him to single-handedly solve West Ham's away form. I don't know of a single CDM on the planet that can single-handedly drag his team to defensive solidity, let alone one suffering through Angelo Ogbonna plodding around. Rice's play has rocketed so far beyond expectations that anyone baying for more is well and truly insane.

I'll say this about Mark Noble, at his peak, he was an underrated player that suffered playing on some god awful West Ham teams. I don't quite remember just what the supporters expected him to become (only started supporting the club right around the time Noble broke through in 05/06, but more intently later than that), but I know a lot of us thought he had earned an England cap, and I still think that. Unluckily for him, England already had a few CMs they didn't know what to do with and he played for West Ham. At this point, his legs are almost completely gone and he's running on fumes, but god damn if I don't love the way he recklessly throws himself into every tackle. And yes, West Ham has seen it's share of young players crash and burn. I thought Nigel Reo-Coker was the next big thing...

I'm going to deliberately ignore all of that Rodwell talk for my own sanity. But!...we've already found Rice's best position. And it shows how much I knew, because I wanted him to stay at CB.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
I'll say this about Mark Noble, at his peak, he was an underrated player that suffered playing on some god awful West Ham teams. I don't quite remember just what the supporters expected him to become (only started supporting the club right around the time Noble broke through in 05/06, but more intently later than that), but I know a lot of us thought he had earned an England cap, and I still think that.

West Ham fans were arguing he was better than Cesc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->