GWT: EPL week 29

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Liverpool need another wing. A garbage man, two defenders and maybe a goalie. Up the reds.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I'd still rather play those teams than not. Especially once their survival in the top flight is confirmed.

United for example still has to play City, Everton, Spurs, Chelsea, and Arsenal. Then they have one cup to play in.

Arsenal I'm just going to write off straight away. Not only do they have tough fixtures but I can't imagine them turning it around.

All in all I'm surprised Liverpool sits in this good of a position. Didn't expect that during preseason.

Last edited:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Up until January they had no problem beating those teams.

Right. And those teams knew what to do the second time they played LFC. Only one team properly adjusted.

Recent results are more revelant by far.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
I'd still rather play those teams than not. Especially once their survival in the top flight is confirmed.

United for example still has to play City, Everton, Spurs, Chelsea, and Arsenal. Then they have two cups to play in.

Arsenal I'm just going to write off straight away. Not only do they have tough fixtures but I can't imagine them turning it around.

All in all I'm surprised Liverpool sits in this good of a position. Didn't expect that during preseason.

Yeah, I don't see Arsenal or Man U making top four either.

As for the relegation battle, Leicester and CP seem to have turned a corner. Last spot is between Hull or Swansea IMO. If Swansea goes down there will be plenty of quality players available to snap up I bet.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I can't remember the last time I've seen that many blown chances in one game.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Right. And those teams knew what to do the second time they played LFC. Only one team properly adjusted.

Recent results are more revelant by far.

That is not completely true. Sunderland parked the bus(which more teams have been doing) at Anfield and still lost. It isn't all about adjusting either, it is about form too. During that period, Lallana and Coutinho were playing really well, now they aren't playing as well. I will take their games remaining compared to others. United two games in hand are at City and at Southampton. They also play Chelsea and have to go to Arsenal and at WHL. Arseanl seems to be a broken club. That great stretch from August to New Years will probably get Liverpool top 4.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
All of the games Liverpool dropped points in January and after (besides Chelsea) were without Lovren-Matip. Will have that duo back next week.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
That is not completely true. Sunderland parked the bus(which more teams have been doing) at Anfield and still lost. It isn't all about adjusting either, it is about form too. During that period, Lallana and Coutinho were playing really well, now they aren't playing as well. I will take their games remaining compared to others. United two games in hand are at City and at Southampton. They also play Chelsea and have to go to Arsenal and at WHL. Arseanl seems to be a broken club. That great stretch from August to New Years will probably get Liverpool top 4.

I'm not worried about anyone else's schedule. I'm worried about getting consistent results over the teams that Liverpool need to be beating without excuses. I don't care who was out of form or injured. I care if people have figured out how to play against Liverpool.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
I'm not worried about anyone else's schedule. I'm worried about getting consistent results over the teams that Liverpool need to be beating without excuses. I don't care who was out of form or injured. I care if people have figured out how to play against Liverpool.

This notion that Liverpool has been solved is overblown. If so they still wouldnt still be in 4th place. They went through a bad stretch, that happens to every team (except Chelsea this year).

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
This notion that Liverpool has been solved is overblown. If so they still wouldnt still be in 4th place. They went through a bad stretch, that happens to every team (except Chelsea this year).

I don't think they've been solved by any stretch, but it's also hard to say their issues have been solved.

Sure there were great wins hosting Spurs and Arsenal, and the away point against City today, but in between those is a bad loss against Leicester and a game they barely escaped from against a horrible road team in Burnley.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I don't think they've been solved by any stretch, but it's also hard to say their issues have been solved.

Sure there were great wins hosting Spurs and Arsenal, and the away point against City today, but in between those is a bad loss against Leicester and a game they barely escaped from against a horrible road team in Burnley.

If Gini does not score right before halftime then they don't win that game. Liverpool have not shown me any evidence in 2017 they can handle a parked bus, let alone with consistency. I think it's more than a coincidence that this is happening the second times that teams have seen Liverpool in action. Also with the way Klopp's last season in Dortmund ended, it makes me very worried for the run-in this year.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
If Gini does not score right before halftime then they don't win that game. Liverpool have not shown me any evidence in 2017 they can handle a parked bus, let alone with consistency. I think it's more than a coincidence that this is happening the second times that teams have seen Liverpool in action. Also with the way Klopp's last season in Dortmund ended, it makes me very worried for the run-in this year.

Klopp's team played well after the winter break that year playing the teams a second time. That would suggest that he was able to adjust. He needs better players, now whether he is refusing to spend money or not is another issue.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Soooo that game was exciting and nerve wracking all at the same time. I don't know how it only ended up being 1-1 (though a draw was probably the fair result given the missed opportunities and penalties).

For all my slating of Can and his performances he really stepped up this game. A bit of a shaky start for him but as the game went on he really upped his play and did a very good job. Wijnaldum just continues to improve and looked fantastic and was my MotM; he should have had a penalty (with a sick meg in the play) and was in general just everywhere doing so many great things with and without the ball. Firmino played well also though looked a bit rusty, and Mané I think was just a bit off. When Lallana missed that chance...my lord. Coutinho continues to be really poor in general. I actually thought Milner had an immense game also. He did very well defensively.

I'm happy with how things seem to be shaping up. Feeling more confident about Liverpool making top 4 with each passing game. Hope there's no more let-downs this year.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
I really liked watching Can in the 5-10 minutes before Toure came off. There was one move where Can just blew right by him to the edge of the area. At that point Toure was dangerously tired.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Klopp's team played well after the winter break that year playing the teams a second time. That would suggest that he was able to adjust. He needs better players, now whether he is refusing to spend money or not is another issue.

That's and fine and good but without Champions League he isn't going to get the players that he needs. Recent results have me concerned about the end of the schedule and I think that's warranted. LFC is always bad after the international break and they will be playing the teams they struggle against. Including the Everton game, I think they need a minimum of 18 points to be in top 4. Either way I will look back in anger at this season, but for now I just want to come out of he international break healthy.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I really liked watching Can in the 5-10 minutes before Toure came off. There was one move where Can just blew right by him to the edge of the area. At that point Toure was dangerously tired.

Can is certainly in form. I am very interested to see what kind of team Klopp picks against Everton with Henderson set to be fit. Wijnaldum has been terrific since around Valentine's Day and Lallana isn't going anywhere either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad