GWT: EPL Week 27 - The Bantering

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I just don’t buy the poor result narrative.

They got outplayed by a team down 2 starters pregame, who used 3 subs in the first half and played the 2nd half with 10.5 guys cause Rashford was clearly injured.

Considering all the injuries, I’ll take the point for United. But it really should have gone a different way there.

Reactions: Evilo

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Our offence consists of 3 things right now (usually moreso if Firmino is not there):

1) Knocking it long to Salah and hoping.
2) Working it out to our wingbacks and then sending in a cross (where is Benteke when we need him?)
3) Hitting on the counter

Salah is incredibly inconsistent and frankly easy enough for big teams to defend. The crosses into the box are pretty terrible quality if Robertson is off and Arnold isn't our rightback. We play a possession style now and rarely get counter opportunities.

1 point at the top with 11 games to play. City on form and considering our form, depth and lack of creativity I'd be absolutely shocked if Liverpool win the title this season. Elated, but shocked. City are the favourites at this point and I don't see any argument against that.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
They got outplayed by a team down 2 starters pregame, who used 3 subs in the first half and played the 2nd half with 10.5 guys cause Rashford was clearly injured.

Considering all the injuries, I’ll take the point for United. But it really should have gone a different way there.

Wait what? Get out of here :laugh: Both teams were trash and none of them outplayed the other

Reactions: YNWA14

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Our offence consists of 3 things right now (usually moreso if Firmino is not there):

1) Knocking it long to Salah and hoping.
2) Working it out to our wingbacks and then sending in a cross (where is Benteke when we need him?)
3) Hitting on the counter

Salah is incredibly inconsistent and frankly easy enough for big teams to defend. The crosses into the box are pretty terrible quality if Robertson is off and Arnold isn't our rightback. We play a possession style now and rarely get counter opportunities.

1 point at the top with 11 games to play. City on form and considering our form, depth and lack of creativity I'd be absolutely shocked if Liverpool win the title this season. Elated, but shocked. City are the favourites at this point and I don't see any argument against that.
If we win the league I'll shave YNWA into my chest hair.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
If it's not 3 points, it's a poor result.

We put ourselves in that position.
While I know this is a very prevalent outlook, I just don’t subscribe to panic and viewing every result in isolation.

Sure, they could have a larger lead at the top - if they were an unreasonable 24-2-1.

Reactions: Il Mediano

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
United only seemed more dangerous in that game because Liverpool actually gave them space anf werent packing in like United were. Liverpool dealt with their attacks fine even with that in mind.

If United opened up the way Liverpool did the game wouldnt have been a draw.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
While I know this is a very prevalent outlook, I just don’t subscribe to panic and viewing every result in isolation.

Sure, they could have a larger lead at the top - if they were an unreasonable 24-2-1.
They did have a larger lead at the top. Not that long ago.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
United only seemed more dangerous in that game because Liverpool actually gave them space anf werent packing in like United were. Liverpool dealt with their attacks fine even with that in mind.

If United opened up the way Liverpool did the game wouldnt have been a draw.
Well, they didn't and were more dangerous.
Which was the point.

Reactions: hatterson

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Neither team were dangerous. 0-0 is a fair result and the logical result. United had one good chance that Alisson did a good job preventing a goal on when Lingard were through

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Wait what? Get out of here :laugh: Both teams were trash and none of them outplayed the other

I’m not even trying troll here but I wouldn’t be happy with that if the situations were reversed.

OGS has gone with

Martial - Rashford
Lingard
Pogba - Ander
Matic

He had two of those 6 today. And Rashford very clearly wouldn’t have played if they had a sub. They were ripe for the taking, and shoulda been beat.

If you wanna hang onto “we were both equally bad” be my guest.

Reactions: Gecklund

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Which was the point.

If United would have ignored the fact that they were down to 1.5 of their desired starting front 6 in the mid first half and tried to play a run and gun game, Liverpool would have had more chances. Also if they would have opened the game up against a team that is best at open games it would have been different.

Cmon, that’s obvious. :laugh:

Reactions: Evilo

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Anyway, just finished the game on tape delay.

Given the injuries, I’m more than happy with a point, even though United had the better chances.

Thrilled with how Shaw has been playing, so good in his own end this year.

United’s attack in the second half was clearly limited with Rashford basically only being able to run in a straight line once in a while. The rest of the team was defending like they were down a man, good effort and help on a lot of plays.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I also watched the game on tape delay.

This was the result I expected and Liverpool's still top by a point. However, Klopp did a shit job and Keita should have been brought in.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Which was the point.
They were "more dangerous" because Liverpool offered nothing. Not because United did anything special

This was an awful, gutless Liverpool performance. They are playing like they knew they blew the league and are deflated because of it. Their confidence and identity are gone.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
They haven’t blown anything though, they’re at the top. They played like they were tired and that they knew they had a point cushion.

It’s almost like that’s why teams that lead leagues want to have a point cushion to fall back on.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
They were "more dangerous" because Liverpool offered nothing. Not because United did anything special

This was an awful, gutless Liverpool performance. They are playing like they knew they blew the league and are deflated because of it. Their confidence and identity are gone.
Erh, they were more dangerous because United has the best chances and Pool had none?

What is it with Liverpool fans saying United had more chances because their team sucked. What's the point? We know Pool is better but had a bad game. Doesn't change the fact United was more dangerous than the whopping 1 shot on target Pool offered.

Wait I can play this game too. Pool couldn't muster more than 1 shot on target because United didn't let them shoot on target.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Erh, they were more dangerous because United has the best chances and Pool had none?

What is it with Liverpool fans saying United had more chances because their team sucked. What's the point? We know Pool is better but had a bad game. Doesn't change the fact United was more dangerous than the whopping 1 shot on target Pool offered.

Wait I can play this game too. Pool couldn't muster more than 1 shot on target because United didn't let them shoot on target.
No that's not what I mean at all. I'm just saying this wasnt exactly a tactical chess match.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
No that's not what I mean at all. I'm just saying this wasnt exactly a tactical chess match.
I thought United defended very well and Pool lacked any inspiration and creativity. Not the first time they lack creativity in fact.
But United had a few nice chances, especially the Lingard one with a great great point (season?) saving move from Allison AGAIN.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I wanted to say that Liverpool were due for a bad run of form. Almost every winning team has a bad run of form at some point.

To still be at the top of the table is great, but the bad run of form has to end on Wednesday and Sunday. Period.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
That's not exactly what he said. The direct quote is:

"It’s both, obviously. We have a point more and that’s good. I think before the game, the shape United were in before, a lot of people would have expected it is the worst moment to face United. When we started the game it was brilliant actually, we started exactly like we wanted to start: it was direct, we played in behind, we wanted to be there, we followed the ball, we pressed high and it was all really good. And then the injury crisis started. A lot of interruptions and things like that and it was obvious it cost us the rhythm. I don’t say it should happen, but it happened obviously and I cannot explain exactly why. It was a completely strange game, playing around without really speed. Speed in the wrong moment, chip in the wrong moment. The first half was OK, second half was a little bit less so it’s now a 0-0 and they had a big chance when Ali made a fantastic save. The rest were set-pieces from United. I would say they are pretty dangerous, so we had to be 100 per cent concentrated, we were 100 per cent concentrated. That’s good, we kept the high line so they were offside when they scored the offside goal and that’s all good, but of course we expect from ourselves to play better football. It looked like today would’ve been a day if we continue like we started then we could have won the match, 100 per cent, but we didn’t. Now we take that point, it’s one more than a lot of people probably expected. So now everything is equal games-wise, and now let’s play the rest of the season. All good."

Yes. Stoppages in play cost teams their rhythm. People shouldn't take quotes out of context.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad