Speculation: Episode IV: Revenge of the Cleary

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Not gonna play in Detroit, so whatever.

Wanna ride those buses and take a spot from one of our kids in GR, do you Dan.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Yeah, I'm not really concerned, now that it's clear he won't be up on the NHL roster. I feel like there were a lot of reports that he was a really good locker room presence for younger players, so who knows, maybe that pays off in the A. Either way, I can't imagine he's really taking a roster spot from anyone else who deserves it.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
They could sign Dan Cleary to a lifetime GRG contract and I wouldn't give single ****. Give him a single minute of NHL time though, I'll murder you in your sleep.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
i've seen 3 years lots of places

so it shouldn't even cover next year dunno why Holland's bringing it up again?

It wasn't even 3 years. They're just saying that so it makes holland look honorable. There was nothing that kept cleary from coming to Detroit over and over. Except for maybe blackmail

Electric Eric

#91 To the Rafters!
Feb 10, 2014
Portland -> Netherlands
Eh, I not worried about him playing for the Wings again. MAYBE a twilight game towards the end of next season to give him a better farewell. Wouldn't mind that, hoping anger dies down towards the guy in the future. I don't place any blame on the guy for wanting to play.

That being said I think he signs a 1 year 2 way deal with the Wings. Attends training camp and is 100% sent to GR after the preseason. There he takes on a larger coaching responsibility and the following year becomes an assistant coach.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I think Cleary wants to be a coach. If he re-signs and can't skate with GR, wouldn't be surprised to see him pry his way into being a player-coach in the AHL and try to work his way up.

Also, that handshake reference is embarrassing and I'm not sure why the hell people keep bringing it up. Sounds like circumvention.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Yeah, such a tragedy. Or something.

Because I called it a tragedy. Or something.

Cleary may be a great coach one day, who knows. But as a player he's definitely a good example of Holland overdoing the loyalty and hurting the team.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Because I called it a tragedy. Or something.

Cleary may be a great coach one day, who knows. But as a player he's definitely a good example of Holland overdoing the loyalty and hurting the team.

The one argument for the allure of young players toughing it out in Detroit, like Nyquist had to do, waiting for his chance, is that once you're in the club... holy hell are you IN THE CLUB.

Ericsson, Abby getting lifetime deals, too. Outsiders get cut loose, but the boys who have paid their dues, they get their return investment.

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
Ya I mean who cares if he is a waste of cap space and a roster spot? Its not like holland would use it on anyone of importance anyways.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Just imagine if Cleary becomes a head coach for the wings a few years from now. The thought actually terrifies me :help:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad