EOJHL Regular Season Underway

ottawafan66

May 14, 2010
Miksik is a big reason the Aeros are still playing. Yes he has let in some weak goals but has made several outstanding saves. He's been bombarded with over 40 plus shots every game of the playoffs. Last night with the Aeros down 2-1 he made save after save allowing his team to tie it up late and force OT.

Hawksfan i would worry about your teams goaltending situation plenty there to keep you busy.

IMO, Miksik has been better than Couvrette in the playoffs (overall, not just the finals). He just doesn't have the same firepower in front of him.

keon1967

Feb 16, 2013
i think aeros fate has been harsh.should have gotten a W in one of the last 2.hats off to ojc.they force errors,and they take advantage of any and all opportunities.both goalies are good.ojc has had more opportunities overall on miksik.

hawxfan

Sep 20, 2012
IMO, Miksik has been better than Couvrette in the playoffs (overall, not just the finals). He just doesn't have the same firepower in front of him.

Wow, thats quite a statement when Couvrette just went 16-2 in the playoffs and won the Championship. Not sure if you've been out to any games but running up numbers like that would tell me that he's pretty good. Actually he just went 35 W's and 7 L's this year....on a team that was 5 and 5 when he got there.....what else do you want.

ottawafan66

May 14, 2010
Wow, thats quite a statement when Couvrette just went 16-2 in the playoffs and won the Championship. Not sure if you've been out to any games but running up numbers like that would tell me that he's pretty good. Actually he just went 35 W's and 7 L's this year....on a team that was 5 and 5 when he got there.....what else do you want.

Where did I say he wasn't any good? I was comparing 2 goalies and giving my opinion. Nothing against Couvrette, but OJC's backup would have also gone 16-2 with this powerhouse.

HawksFanForever

Feb 20, 2013
Nova Scotia
The Better team won and it is all about Goal Tending and great defense and yes they had a great team in front of him.Athens had a great season and it takes 23 players to win and a great coaching staff and allot of volunteers.It is not just ONE player to win a championship.Lookout for the Winchester Hawks this coming season and I pick them now to go all the way.

KL14

Oct 25, 2011
Next Season

It will be interesting to see if teams start to build around the idea of a national championship as it appears that the EOJHL will start sending a rep to the Eastern Canada JR B finals in 2013/2014. Will this mean fewer 16 and 17 year olds and more 18, 19 and 20 year olds ?

hurricane11

Oct 12, 2012
I agree with Ottawafan Its pretty clear the OJC goalie was good but i dont think he was needed as much as Miksik was in Athens. Miksik had to steal games for them where as Courvette just needed to be solid. OJC had a much better team in front. Some great hockey played this season.

I wouldn't call the Winchester Hawks favourites for the upcoming season

HawksFanForever

Feb 20, 2013
Nova Scotia
Great point and with the new rule of the money to play JR A and you have to pay it up front.Allot of these players will drop down to JR B and will see this league get even better.The Winchester Hawks have been so busy already recruiting players and looking at allot of players playing in tourney's.

Canadian91

May 8, 2009
Ottawa
Great point and with the new rule of the money to play JR A and you have to pay it up front.Allot of these players will drop down to JR B and will see this league get even better.The Winchester Hawks have been so busy already recruiting players and looking at allot of players playing in tourney's.

I think you've gotta take your homer glasses off. May the Hawks be good next year? Sure, but other teams will be recruiting as well..

HawksFanForever

Feb 20, 2013
Nova Scotia
Totally agree BUT I know for a fact that many teams are not active as the Hawks are and wonder where and how they get these players.I see JR B Hockey as a great place for young hopeful players who want to improve on their set of skills and the desire to move on to higher leagues.

hurricane11

Oct 12, 2012
I am guessing they were recruiting at the Leo Boivin Classic and the recent AAA Telus cup qualifier which i am sure had scouts from other JR B teams. Chances that these young kids could step in and be impact players right away is rare

hawxfan

Sep 20, 2012
Where did I say he wasn't any good? I was comparing 2 goalies and giving my opinion. Nothing against Couvrette, but OJC's backup would have also gone 16-2 with this powerhouse.

I doubt it considering the team was 5 and 5 when Couvrette arrived there and all he did was go 35 and 7....

ottawafan66

May 14, 2010
I doubt it considering the team was 5 and 5 when Couvrette arrived there and all he did was go 35 and 7....

Actually, they were 7 and 4 and two of the losses were to Gatineau. BTW, did you notice who the goalies were before Couvrette showed up?

Chilton 8.19 GAA .700 SV%
Weatherdon 4.22 GAA .818 SV%
Edwards 4.24 GAA .855 SV%

So basically, the goaltending sucked but they still managed to go 7 and 4.

Now look at Plumadore's and Couvrette's numbers:

Plumadore 2.97 GAA .909 SV%
Couvrette 2.43 GAA .915 SV%

This is why I feel that they would have still won the championship with their backup in net.

hawxfan

Sep 20, 2012
Actually, they were 7 and 4 and two of the losses were to Gatineau. BTW, did you notice who the goalies were before Couvrette showed up?

Chilton 8.19 GAA .700 SV%
Weatherdon 4.22 GAA .818 SV%
Edwards 4.24 GAA .855 SV%

So basically, the goaltending sucked but they still managed to go 7 and 4.

Now look at Plumadore's and Couvrette's numbers:

Plumadore 2.97 GAA .909 SV%
Couvrette 2.43 GAA .915 SV%

This is why I feel that they would have still won the championship with their backup in net.
Yeh, u r right...except.....wait for it........Couvrette played in 42 games, went 35-7 and oh Plumadore, he went 3-2.......a sample size as they say on Team 1200. U can't compare those numbers, and give Athens some credit. Were u at any of the games ? Just askin because I was....

ottawafan66

May 14, 2010
Yeh, u r right...except.....wait for it........Couvrette played in 42 games, went 35-7 and oh Plumadore, he went 3-2.......a sample size as they say on Team 1200. U can't compare those numbers, and give Athens some credit. Were u at any of the games ? Just askin because I was....

The number comparisons I posted were for regular season only, so Couvrette actually played 24 games. I agree about the small sample size for Plumadore. But please don't make Couvrette a saviour and the reason the team turned things around (there was no turnaround needed). They would have won with any decent goalie (which he clearly is).

Last edited:

KL14

Oct 25, 2011
OJC could have used a peewee goalie....

...and they still would have won....the only stat that is important is 4-0, which is what OJC did in their last three series....Renfrew was no competition and neither was Athens...so close the book on this year...and get ready for next season.

hawxfan

Sep 20, 2012
The number comparisons I posted were for regular season only, so Couvrette actually played 24 games. I agree about the small sample size for Plumadore. But please don't make Couvrette a saviour and the reason the team turned things around (there was no turnaround needed). They would have won with any decent goalie (which he clearly is).

and to all a good night....and have a good summer everyone, don't forget, 4 months till tyrouts so don't be having too many beers over the summer boys...

KL14

Oct 25, 2011
Don't go too far...

One of my kids tell me that the Metro/Valley Conference is having a JR B prospect camp at the SensPlex on June 1 &2....$ 219 per kid...

HawksFanForever

Feb 20, 2013
Nova Scotia
Well I am moving back to Nova Scotia this summer and will miss the hockey here.It has been a great season and gratz to Athens and Ottawa Canadian Juniors in winning the EOJHL Championship.I see the Winchester JR B Hawks winning this Championship in the very near future.

hawxfan

Sep 20, 2012
Well I am moving back to Nova Scotia this summer and will miss the hockey here.It has been a great season and gratz to Athens and Ottawa Canadian Juniors in winning the EOJHL Championship.I see the Winchester JR B Hawks winning this Championship in the very near future.

It was great having your input on the site. Of course with a handle like HawksFanForever I was'nt sure if you were a Winchester or Chicago fan....I figured it out though....I'm a Blackhawks fan and getting ready to celebrate our second Cup in a few years. Enjoy Nova Scotia.

TheLastShift

Canada
Nov 14, 2007
Kind of old news from last weekend but Arnprior Packers leading goal scorer and Valley Rookie of the Year Jared Steege was selected in the 8th round by the North Bay Battalion of the OHL. Word around town however is that he may take his chances in Junior A instead in hopes of eventually earning a Scholarship to the NCAA.

PG

Feb 2, 2012
Have A Grade A Summer

Have a great summer all - super discussion and entertainment on this board all season.....

If you have the need for a hockey fix, a team made up of most JR B and some JR A (all 1995 born..one 96) will be playing under the name of EASTERN ICE in the Kingston prospect tourney in Kingston next weekend (Apr 19-21) and in Montreal May 3-5 (Can Lan Montreal Cup):)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad