Friedman: Entry level contract drops from 10 games to 7 games

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Realistically speaking, who is this going to affect?
As in which teams have young rookies who could crack the roster but might not be a sure-thing in the North American pros?

Stutzle on Ottawa
Byfield on Los Angeles
Denisenko on Florida
Raymond on Detroit
Rossi on Minnesota
Quinn on Buffalo
Cozens on Buffalo

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Considering the number of unsigned F/A's out there could this be a move to force teams to place the younger guys in the minors to keep from burning a year? Sure smells that way, opens slots for those without contracts to get one year deals.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
^ Ya, if that's the case its (yet) another indication that there is no market right now for older players (especially declining ones) with larger contracts (any combination of term & $s). Big surprise.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Considering the number of unsigned F/A's out there could this be a move to force teams to place the younger guys in the minors to keep from burning a year? Sure smells that way, opens slots for those without contracts to get one year deals.
It really only impacts CHL players. If you are signing an NCAA guy and put them in the A that begins to burn an elc year.

CHL you have to decide whether to keep them for the season or return them to their chl club.

Dont recal if they prorated this for the 12-13 season of 48 games. Should have done that. But maybe due to the chl actually playing vs on hold right now the nhl teams didn’t bother with it as it was a sprint to make the playoffs and teams didn’t have time to give teens a chance to make the club.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Ah, so this is 6.

Also I don’t understand the 10 game rule. For example after 9 games you could send them back at any point regardless. Like Buffalo did with Grigorenko and Edmonton with Drai. 10 games is just when it no long slides. So really it is still 9 games as everyone commonly referred to cause 10+ is makes no difference anymore

Actually, the Oilers oiled on Drai and kept him in the league for 37 games.

So that meant that he burned a year of his 3-year ELC

But he did not play enough games to qualify him for a "season" toward his RFA/UFA status. CBA-types can correct me, but I believe he needed to play 41 games.

One could say the Oilers oiled.... or was it a very a wiley way to ensure he came up for contract after only two full seasons in the league?

Ultimately Drai proved 'em wrong, and knocked it out of the park in his final ELC year (77pts in 82gms), got signed to a "way overpaid" contract that is now one of the better contracts in the league.

Huh! Who'd of thunk it?

Reactions: Leafs87

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
As in which teams have young rookies who could crack the roster but might not be a sure-thing in the North American pros?

Stutzle on Ottawa
Byfield on Los Angeles
Denisenko on Florida
Raymond on Detroit
Rossi on Minnesota
Quinn on Buffalo
Cozens on Buffalo

Raymond can't come over till his season in the SHL is over. So likely in a shortened season he won't be playing this year for Detroit.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Raymond can't come over till his season in the SHL is over. So likely in a shortened season he won't be playing this year for Detroit.
With a flat cap, I’m more in favour of my team pushing the elc down a year then burning it this year unless the kid can actually contribute.

for the Canucks unless Hoglander or Podkolzin is a sure bet top 6 winger I’d rather delay the start of their elc. Going to need that extra year of cap space once pettersson and Hughes get paid. Canucks are going to be very tight as Hughes burned year 1 of elc when he played the final few games in 2019 season. Canucks would have loved an extra year of elc in a flat cap. But it is what it is.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta

Stutzle on Ottawa
Byfield on Los Angeles
Denisenko on Florida
Raymond on Detroit
Rossi on Minnesota
Quinn on Buffalo
Cozens on Buffalo
Merkley in SJ.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad