Entry Draft Thread: Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
*sigh* okay let's hear it. What's the case for Leason, in your opinion.

The question is, whats not to like about Leason? Huge frame using it pretty well, very high hockey IQ combined with a high skills set, can distribute the puck as well as scoring goals, good stickhandler, very good vision, soft hands, good reads, good positionning, solid in all 3 zones... He plays on the wing but has the smarts of a center... He is used on the first PP and first PK wave and is excellent at both... I really love his net presence on the PP, not only does he has the size to screen goaltenders but has the skills and reflexes to be a poison ou there... Skating is fine but will need a bit of work before reaching the NHL...

I dont see Leason as a raw talent, he already plays like a Pro and shows alot of maturity in his game, you cant go wrong here with that kid... Some people think that game now belong to small players, while its partially correct, teams will still always look at big skilled kids that can skate and impact the game of a different way... Size still matters.

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The question is, whats not to like about Leason? Huge frame using it pretty well, very high hockey IQ combined with a high skills set, can distribute the puck as well as scoring goals, good stickhandler, very good vision, soft hands, good reads, good positionning, solid in all 3 zones... He plays on the wing but has the smarts of a center... He is used on the first PP and first PK wave and is excellent at both... I really love his net presence of the PP, not only doesnt he has the size to screen goaltenders but has the skills and reflexes to be a poison ou there... Skating is fine but will need a bit of work before reaching the NHL...

I dont see Leason as a raw talent, he already plays like a Pro and shows alot of maturity in his game, you cant go wrong here with that kid...

Down sides, hes 20, dominating kids that are 17and 18, hes playing on a powerhouse, hes never shown this level of play, he didnt dominate at any international peer vs peer tournaments, didnt look good at all in the POs last year, is kind of the big but soft stereotype and hes still a twig at 20. Doesnt have a skill where you look at him and say, yeah, this dude is going to do that in the nhl.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
I really hope we don't take Pelletier. Guy is a polished talent, he's pretty fast, smart, a good forechecker and two-way player- but he's small and without offensive creativity. His shot is average, maybe slightly above but really he as a player is worse than his description. He spends a lot of time chasing the puck, I've found and rarely makes things happen offensively- he's just too good at this point for his QMJHL counterparts that he racks up points, but his playstyle will see him as a good third line checking/energy forward in the NHL IMO.
Pelletier has grown on me in the last months. I think the combination of high skill, plus skating, smarts along with a bulldog mentality makes him a decent bet to carve himself a spot on an NHL top-6 someday. As another small winger with good but not mind-blowing offensive ability, he wouldn't be my first choice for our group but he'd be a good value pick for teams around us who already have their core players up front.

Last edited:

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
Watched the Mississauga-Hamilton game last night, Harley was everywhere picking off passes and making plays, really impressed me. He was, however, partially responsible for Hamilton's tying goal as the puck bounced over his stick and his man got past him.

Kaliyev had two goals, one basically in an empty net. I know he's been putting up goals and points like crazy but for the entire game otherwise he was invisible, I really don't like his game.

I think Harley has a good chance at being the next Chabot, with the right coaching and practice.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Down sides, hes 20, dominating kids that are 17and 18, hes playing on a powerhouse, hes never shown this level of play, he didnt dominate at any international peer vs peer tournaments, didnt look good at all in the POs last year, is kind of the big but soft stereotype and hes still a twig at 20. Doesnt have a skill where you look at him and say, yeah, this dude is going to do that in the nhl.
As far as I know, he still is 19...
He is a huge part of why PA is a powerhouse...
Scored 5 pts in 5 games played last WJC while working his way on the second line as one of the best Canadians fowards in the second half of the tournament, keep in mind he got injured just before the start of the tournament...
Leason isnt overly physical but is far from being soft, he uses his size pretty well as mentionned above and is hard to knock off the puck...

Thank you have a nice day...

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Watched the Mississauga-Hamilton game last night, Harley was everywhere picking off passes and making plays, really impressed me. He was, however, partially responsible for Hamilton's tying goal as the puck bounced over his stick and his man got past him.

Kaliyev had two goals, one basically in an empty net. I know he's been putting up goals and points like crazy but for the entire game otherwise he was invisible, I really don't like his game.

I think Harley has a good chance at being the next Chabot, with the right coaching and practice.
Hes put up two goals tho.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

How was he defensively? I've only seen him once, and offensively it was clear to see what he had. Defensively he sucked dick, though.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
The question is, whats not to like about Leason? Huge frame using it pretty well, very high hockey IQ combined with a high skills set, can distribute the puck as well as scoring goals, good stickhandler, very good vision, soft hands, good reads, good positionning, solid in all 3 zones... He plays on the wing but has the smarts of a center... He is used on the first PP and first PK wave and is excellent at both... I really love his net presence on the PP, not only does he has the size to screen goaltenders but has the skills and reflexes to be a poison ou there... Skating is fine but will need a bit of work before reaching the NHL...

I dont see Leason as a raw talent, he already plays like a Pro and shows alot of maturity in his game, you cant go wrong here with that kid... Some people think that game now belong to small players, while its partially correct, teams will still always look at big skilled kids that can skate and impact the game of a different way... Size still matters.

My big concern with him was skating, but it was immediately apparent when watching him in the WHL that he's a powerful skater. So the only remaining concern is ''how do you evaluate a kid who's 2 years older than his competition?'' I actually don't have a good answer to that question. Do you think he can play in the NHL as soon as next year? Or what kind of a development path do you see for him?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
My big concern with him was skating, but it was immediately apparent when watching him in the WHL that he's a powerful skater. So the only remaining concern is ''how do you evaluate a kid who's 2 years older than his competition?'' I actually don't have a good answer to that question. Do you think he can play in the NHL as soon as next year? Or what kind of a development path do you see for him?
Nah he cant. Hes big as hell but weak as hell, his first step isnt great and hes slow to react on most nights. The road is still pretty long for him.

I could see a similar path to Dylan Strome.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't really want a winger unless he's super dynamic and I don't see Leason as dynamic.

I agree. We need a top notch winger who has a NHL shot already and is projected to be a 25+ goal scorer. We already have young wingers in the system like Drouin, Lehkonen, Armai, Suzuki, Ylonen, Ikonen. Go after a high ceiling type guy with our pick.

A guy I have my eye on is Dorofeyev. Turns 19 in Oct and might play KHL next year. 17 goals and 31 points in 19 MHL games. He is ranked 65th by in Bob's rankings but I can see his stock rising as we get close to the draft. Maybe a candidate for our 2nd round pick or even our 1st if we pick 20+ range. If you like him, take him when you get the chance (Kotkaniemi and Romanov for example).

Reactions: S Bah

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
A guy I have my eye on is Dorofeyev. Turns 19 in Oct and might play KHL next year. 17 goals and 31 points in 19 MHL games. He is ranked 65th by in Bob's rankings but I can see his stock rising as we get close to the draft. Maybe a candidate for our 2nd round pick or even our 1st if we pick 20+ range. If you like him, take him when you get the chance (Kotkaniemi and Romanov for example).
He's playing KHL this year and doing really well.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
How was he defensively? I've only seen him once, and offensively it was clear to see what he had. Defensively he sucked dick, though.
Harley or Kaliyev? Harley was great defensively except for that bounce, but he also was frequently the first on the forecheck, something he'll have to tone down at the NHL level, since right low he is the true definition of a rover.

Kaliyev had okay positioning but lost his man pretty often, had one steal that I noticed on a backcheck but otherwise was pretty unnoticeable and uninspiring

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He's playing KHL this year and doing really well.

My bad. I though it was the reverse between his MHL and KHL games this season. That means it's even more impressive. Something tells me he is a 1st round pick if he keeps this up.

- Ranked 65th by Bob McKenzie
- Ranked 18th by NHL central scouting (EU skaters)
- Ranked anywhere from 19-30 in various other rankings.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
My bad. I though it was the reverse between his MHL and KHL games this season. That means it's even more impressive. Something tells me he is a 1st round pick if he keeps this up.

- Ranked 65th by Bob McKenzie
- Ranked 18th by NHL central scouting (EU skaters)
- Ranked anywhere from 19-30 in various other rankings.
He's been in and out of their lineup but most likely will stick with the big team from here on out except for when they have prolonged breaks. He's too good for MHL at this point.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I agree. We need a top notch winger who has a NHL shot already and is projected to be a 25+ goal scorer. We already have young wingers in the system like Drouin, Lehkonen, Armai, Suzuki, Ylonen, Ikonen. Go after a high ceiling type guy with our pick.

...never heard of him.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Harley or Kaliyev? Harley was great defensively except for that bounce, but he also was frequently the first on the forecheck, something he'll have to tone down at the NHL level, since right low he is the true definition of a rover.

Kaliyev had okay positioning but lost his man pretty often, had one steal that I noticed on a backcheck but otherwise was pretty unnoticeable and uninspiring

Kaliyev. We need a goal scoring threat in our prospect mix. Mete and Romanov can handle the future LD needs.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

Harley. When I watched him he looked totally ineffective against opposing forecheckers, but once he had the puck it was a pretty different ball game.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Dorofeyev is 100% going int he first round, he's already playing KHL and we've already established he's a perfect pick for us.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Well a bit like Poehling, he is probably not that far away from the NHL, but I think both would benefit from playing in the AHL for the most part of their first Pro season, Im not a big fan of rushing prospects personally, unless they are Kotkaniemi good but still, even Kotkaniemi needs to get stronger before getting tougher matchups... I would let both Poehling and Leason become dominant players in the AHL before making the Habs full time...

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Rafael Lavoie really is starting to heat it up lately producing at a 2ppg pace in his last 7 games...

Reactions: Vachon23

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Watching the replay of the last CHL top prospects game since I missed it, What to you guys think of Samuel Bolduc in the middle rounds? 6"4 210 lbs LHD defenseman skating very well from what Im seeing, not sure how good or bad his defensive game is but that kid seems really fast and good at moving the puck..

Reactions: Vachon23
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad