Injury Report: Ennis?

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Any word on him? Can't find anything any where. Just curious. He seems like he is the big missing piece for you guys. Every time I watch him play I think he could be a 70 point type guy, always underwhelms though.

Thanks.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I don't remember specific words but it was strongly implied if not outright stated that he was basically ready to play the last few games of the season. There was just no sense in playing him. I believe he was fully cleared for practices. I could be wrong about those specifics, but the bottom line is he seemed to be healthy at the end of the season, so he should be perfectly fine when camp rolls around.

The questions with him are:
Is he mentally over it? Ennis plays in traffic with a lot of heart and grit. Will he be able to get right back to that?

What happens if he gets another concussion? His career could be in real jeopardy if it isn't already.

Can he actually take a step forward? He had a very strong 2014-2015. His totals would've been higher if the team wasn't utter garbage. He followed that up with a strong World Championship. When 2015-2016 rolled around, he looked like he really regressed to trying to do too much with the puck, something that's been an on again, off again problem his whole career, then he got injured. Granted, the whole team struggled to start last season, but he doesn't really have a place on the team if he's going to play like that. If he can bring his best game, the team will have a strong scoring depth.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I don't remember specific words but it was strongly implied if not outright stated that he was basically ready to play the last few games of the season. There was just no sense in playing him. I believe he was fully cleared for practices. I could be wrong about those specifics, but the bottom line is he seemed to be healthy at the end of the season, so he should be perfectly fine when camp rolls around.

The questions with him are:
Is he mentally over it? Ennis plays in traffic with a lot of heart and grit. Will he be able to get right back to that?

What happens if he gets another concussion? His career could be in real jeopardy if it isn't already.

Can he actually take a step forward? He had a very strong 2014-2015. His totals would've been higher if the team wasn't utter garbage. He followed that up with a strong World Championship. When 2015-2016 rolled around, he looked like he really regressed to trying to do too much with the puck, something that's been an on again, off again problem his whole career, then he got injured. Granted, the whole team struggled to start last season, but he doesn't really have a place on the team if he's going to play like that. If he can bring his best game, the team will have a strong scoring depth.

Thanks, I agree. He always looked like a guy with tons of potential. It seemed like since his 10-11 year he was that guy who was going to break out. Then just never got there. At first it was due to the team being garbage, now injuries. Still, I hope he finally realises his potential. As a Oiler fan he always reminds me of Eberle, not exactly, but similar. Yet Eberle has had a 70+ season and a couple more 60+ seasons.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Ennis may have a 65 or 70 pt. season someday in his career. But overall, he will average out to be pretty much what he's mostly been. A 45-55 pt. guy. And there's nothing wrong with that. For increased value/trades sake, I hope he bounces back with a strong season.

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
Any word on him? Can't find anything any where. Just curious. He seems like he is the big missing piece for you guys. Every time I watch him play I think he could be a 70 point type guy, always underwhelms though.

Thanks.

I will eat my hat if Ennis ever becomes a 70 pt player. Even on Crosby's wing. Dude is just not smart enough. And now with his head scrambled... no. He acts like he's playing a video game.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He was practicing the final week of the season. Hopefully the additional time off allows him to be as fit as possible going into the season and at the same time having the most time to allow his brain to heal. It's been implied that he had one concussion in preseason, returned too soon and then addled his brain again against St. Louis and then again against the Caps. Those weren't his first three so saying "his next concussion may be his last" isn't just hyperbole, it's a concern about the increased severity and length of recovery for concussions.

Vito_81

Jul 23, 2006
Toronto
Im definitely pulling for him to have a healthy and effective season. ive always liked him, last season was a total write off. Im excited to see what he can do this year with some good players around him.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I think it's easy to say that in the hell years, Ennis was by far the most talented forward on the team. As for this team next year, I think he's still in the conversation as being one of the forwards with the most raw talent.

Just a shame he tends to deploy it poorly in overplaying the puck... which I still blame on having to be a one man army most of his career as a Sabre (and in general) due to sheer lack of talent and motivation around him, I'm guessing that mindset might be tough to shake since we haven't actually been good yet... and his eggs have gotten a bit scrambled. Would love to see him click on a line this year, stay healthy and bring it all together. It'd be a huge boost for the team and I just genuinely like the guy... it'd make me happy to see it work out.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->