Confirmed with Link: Ennis on buyout waivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
I imagine Ennis will get a shot here and there and fall short, get waived, someone will think he's cheap and used to be a 20+ goal scorer so they pick him up, process repeats until he finally clears and finishes the year in the AHL.
Just signed with the Leafs, 1yr/650k.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
What should we expect from him?

I only remember him playing decently for the Sabres a couple of seasons and lost track of him when he went West.

Keep in mind, he would be on our 4th line and likely on the wing, but does he play C? How was he utilized with your team last year? Does he PK?

Thanks!

He's basically terrified of traffic at this point. So expect some dangles that do nothing but stay near the boards and away from any semblance of contact.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
I think the coolest thing about his tenure (and I may be imagining this) was when he tried the Michigan/Granlund/lacrosse move from behind the net. I wish that happened way more often (and not 100% sure why it doesn't).

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i feel that granlund goal was carrying the puck and in hockey you shoot the puck. we're not lacross, it should be illegal. im disappointed we didnt save the ennis buyout cap space for a good player instead we picked up several retreads. hendricks only scored 5 goals , pateryn only 1! why pay pateryn over 2 mill when soucy can do the same job for 700k?????

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
i feel that granlund goal was carrying the puck and in hockey you shoot the puck. we're not lacross, it should be illegal. im disappointed we didnt save the ennis buyout cap space for a good player instead we picked up several retreads. hendricks only scored 5 goals , pateryn only 1! why pay pateryn over 2 mill when soucy can do the same job for 700k?????
I like Soucy, but he's played 3 NHL games and relying on him for an entire season right now is premature. Plus we needed a RHD to put next to Seeler, not another lefty.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Soucy is left handed

Wabit

May 23, 2016
He's a fine pickup for $650k. He plays with the puck too much, but he always tries his hardest (doesn't take shifts off). He'll chip in some points from the 4th line. Just don't have high expectations (you'll be disappointed) and realize he's a 12/13 FWD that your paying 12/13 FWD money for.

Worst case is it doesn't work out and he's waiver fodder, or he warms a seat in the pressbox on a cheap cap hit and a contract slot. I think he's a good gamble for Tor to take.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
sooner or later you should give some young guys a shot. if he gets the job done is a 3rd pair D who play less than 10 min (probably) really critical to be lhd vs rhd? im just askin. i thought seeler & soucy did just fine.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
sooner or later you should give some young guys a shot. if he gets the job done is a 3rd pair D who play less than 10 min (probably) really critical to be lhd vs rhd? im just askin. i thought seeler & soucy did just fine.
LD and RD are different positions. Your 3rd pair D plays around 12-14 minutes a night. That isn't much less than your normal 3rd line.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

Highly skilled/IQ or experienced players can switch between LD and RD without a whole lot of pain. A kid still learning how to play NHL defense and team philosophy it's much harder.

It's like in football you can switch a LT (the better player 90% of the time) into a RT without much pain, but going from RT to LT the QB ends up eating a lot more dirt.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Highly skilled/IQ or experienced players can switch between LD and RD without a whole lot of pain. A kid still learning how to play NHL defense and team philosophy it's much harder.

It's like in football you can switch a LT (the better player 90% of the time) into a RT without much pain, but going from RT to LT the QB ends up eating a lot more dirt.
Not true at all. Some guys can play either side without much of a dropoff at all. Some guys look totally lost even trying it. Has nothing to do with skill or IQ. Brodin is a perfect example

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Not true at all. Some guys can play either side without much of a dropoff at all. Some guys look totally lost even trying it. Has nothing to do with skill or IQ. Brodin is a perfect example

You're probably going to get some pushback on the inference that Brodin doesn't have IQ or skill, but I know you're not his biggest fan.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
You're probably going to get some pushback on the inference that Brodin doesn't have IQ or skill, but I know you're not his biggest fan.
Brodin's skating is world class, but outside of that, how skilled would anyone say he is? Not sure how anyone could argue that Brodin has a great hockey IQ?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Brodin's skating is world class, but outside of that, how skilled would anyone say he is? Not sure how anyone could argue that Brodin has a great hockey IQ?

Skating is a pretty darn important skill. He's not going to dangle anybody, but his feet put him into the right spot most of the time.

I'd be interested in hearing both sides of the IQ argument. He was drafted where he was based almost solely upon those two things.

Reactions: 2Pair

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Skating is a pretty darn important skill. He's not going to dangle anybody, but his feet put him into the right spot most of the time.

I'd be interested in hearing both sides of the IQ argument. He was drafted where he was based almost solely upon those two things.
Skating is the most important skill, and it's the reason that Brodin can play either side without much dropoff at all. I just don't think skating is what anyone is talking about when they say "highly skilled".

I would love to hear what traits Brodin has thatwould make someone say he has a high IQ. IMO- everything that he does well, is directly tied to him being a much better skater than the guy he's up against.

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
Well, there's defensive IQ and offensive IQ no? He's definitely got a great defensive IQ, excellent skater, great defensive stick. Offensively, leaves a lot to be desired, but he's a pretty good at breakout passes

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
I've gotten 2 known concussions in my life. 1 when I was 10 and the other when I was 14. First one I got hit in the temple by a soccer ball and blacked out for a few seconds. Second one I was helping clean up after gym class softball and some little kid decided it was a good idea to start swinging a bat around in circles. Had a goose egg for a few days but didn't black out. Even getting hit by a bat on the forehead was several grades below what Ennis supposedly suffered which is scary af.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.

Tyler "Balloon Animal Zach Parise" Ennis
Tyler "Inspiration for Silicon Valley's Big Head" Ennis
Tyler "Shia LeBouef's Indy Jr. of the NHL" Ennis
Tyler "My direct deposit phone notification is the sound of laughter, choking, and then a thump" Ennis
Tyler "I don't know, my badge keeps letting me in" Ennis
Tyler "NHL equivalent of a Birdemic special effect" Ennis.
Tyler "Lego Robin" Ennis
Tyler "Expired 'Big' wish" Ennis
Tyler "Got into a car accident with Chuck Fletcher and had no insurance so the judge ordered him to be on the Wild" Ennis
Tyler "Hockey player placebo" Ennis
Tyler "Saffron suppository" Ennis
Tyler "HF ban bait" Ennis
Tyler "'Brewster's Millions' investment" Ennis
Tyler "Buyout Still Pending Signature" Ennis
Tyler "Good luck in the playoffs, teammates!" Ennis
Tyler "asldkj asldkj fas;lkdfj ;alkjs;alkfj" Ennis
Tyler "Balsa Pinocchio" Ennis
Tyler "The feather from Forrest Gump" Ennis
Tyler "invoice for a government toilet seat" Ennis
Tyler "Did I already call him that ****ing plastic bag from American Beauty?" Ennis
Tyler "Pretty sure George Lucas retroactively inserted him into the '17/'18 games after the season ended" Ennis
Tyler "Schubert's Unfinished Symphony bar, but like, the half he finished, a day later" Ennis
Tyler "AAV of Get Out's budget is no coincidence" Ennis
Tyler "Pepto Abysmal" Ennis
Tyler "NHL Player Due to Some Hilarious Clerical Error" Ennis
Tyler "Whoa you just bounced me off the puck! What? You didn't? Well I bounced off it anyways just in case" Ennis
Tyler "If there's a scene in Groundhog Day where Bill Murray takes infinity dumps, then that" Ennis
Tyler "Faberge ball and chain" Ennis
Tyler "Fly sealed in a coke bag" Ennis
Tyler "Hockey player-shaped eye floater" Ennis
Tyler "You see, when selecting from the currency dropdown for his contract, you hit the End key and it selected Zimbabwe and changed the amount accordingly. Yeah, that does seem kind of ominous!" Ennis.
Tyler "The AHL called and-- no, no actually they didn't" Ennis
Tyler "I did it. I cost a man his job! This must be what it feels like to be on the continually standing side of a check!" Ennis
Tyler "Never Forget" Ennis
Tyler "Continuous Raspberry" Ennis
Tyler "close-orbiting seizure" Ennis
Tyler "Scrappy Doo" Ennis
Tyler "Diamond encrusted incontinence breezers prototype" Ennis

He is as effective as if they played a hologram of Parise on the ice. The energy and the effort are there, he's doing the things, but there is apparently nothing to him. I am starting to suspect he is made out of wicker. If he broke easier I'd say balsa wood, but he seems to have some give when he bounces away from someone like Bambi on ice, so I'm going with wicker.
He's a ****ing tumbleweed on the moon with a cobweb for a hockey stick.
Frantic, high-energy whiffs. Like a bird hell-bent on killing you if. it. could. just. break. this. damn. window.
the Oompa Loompas will sing a little something after his first journey into a corner Byfuglien also wants to be in
voodoo doll would be an equally impactful Parise fill-in
what dish he would be. Butterfly rockefeller, or maybe turducken made with real turd
he's a Parise engine stuffed into a hummingbird
Hopefully if someone goes, the gentle wind current created by them going through the doorway is enough to carry Ennis along with them.
Ennis is the first 25 or however many minutes of Captain America. He just needs magical comic book superhero serum and he'll be fine. We weren't meant to hate weiner-sized Johnny America or whatever his stupid name is, but we sure as hell aren't meant to expect him to get apricot one either.
Every shift, and Ennis' entire NHL career, ends with a pat on the head and mom saying "Oh but honey you tried so hard out there." He's Parise's Danny DeVito in Bee Twins. Watching his icetime with Grandumpelschmeldford is like seeing a eunuch spend a gift card at The Sex and Pixy Stix Store.
Ennis, I don't know, he still seems like an ornamental windmill to me. Spinning along like meant to and expected but not actually hooked up to anything.
would benefit from being invited to a murder mystery dinner at Antoine Winfield's camp
Ennis handles his size like
XrSxUp.gif

Ennis digs the puck out of the corner like
Dog-bounces-off-ball.gif

I admire the tenacity, but sweet jesus, Hockey Bridgewater, that you escaped this time while the oafy power forwards got dinged is only going to make the next Final Destination movie even worse.

RIP Tyler Ennis, 2017-2018

toby-lunch-tray-o.gif

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

Tyler "Balloon Animal Zach Parise" Ennis
Tyler "Inspiration for Silicon Valley's Big Head" Ennis
Tyler "Shia LeBouef's Indy Jr. of the NHL" Ennis
Tyler "My direct deposit phone notification is the sound of laughter, choking, and then a thump" Ennis
Tyler "I don't know, my badge keeps letting me in" Ennis
Tyler "NHL equivalent of a Birdemic special effect" Ennis.
Tyler "Lego Robin" Ennis
Tyler "Expired 'Big' wish" Ennis
Tyler "Got into a car accident with Chuck Fletcher and had no insurance so the judge ordered him to be on the Wild" Ennis
Tyler "Hockey player placebo" Ennis
Tyler "Saffron suppository" Ennis
Tyler "HF ban bait" Ennis
Tyler "'Brewster's Millions' investment" Ennis
Tyler "Buyout Still Pending Signature" Ennis
Tyler "Good luck in the playoffs, teammates!" Ennis
Tyler "asldkj asldkj fas;lkdfj ;alkjs;alkfj" Ennis
Tyler "Balsa Pinocchio" Ennis
Tyler "The feather from Forrest Gump" Ennis
Tyler "invoice for a government toilet seat" Ennis
Tyler "Did I already call him that ****ing plastic bag from American Beauty?" Ennis
Tyler "Pretty sure George Lucas retroactively inserted him into the '17/'18 games after the season ended" Ennis
Tyler "Schubert's Unfinished Symphony bar, but like, the half he finished, a day later" Ennis
Tyler "AAV of Get Out's budget is no coincidence" Ennis
Tyler "Pepto Abysmal" Ennis
Tyler "NHL Player Due to Some Hilarious Clerical Error" Ennis
Tyler "Whoa you just bounced me off the puck! What? You didn't? Well I bounced off it anyways just in case" Ennis
Tyler "If there's a scene in Groundhog Day where Bill Murray takes infinity dumps, then that" Ennis
Tyler "Faberge ball and chain" Ennis
Tyler "Fly sealed in a coke bag" Ennis
Tyler "Hockey player-shaped eye floater" Ennis
Tyler "You see, when selecting from the currency dropdown for his contract, you hit the End key and it selected Zimbabwe and changed the amount accordingly. Yeah, that does seem kind of ominous!" Ennis.
Tyler "The AHL called and-- no, no actually they didn't" Ennis
Tyler "I did it. I cost a man his job! This must be what it feels like to be on the continually standing side of a check!" Ennis
Tyler "Never Forget" Ennis
Tyler "Continuous Raspberry" Ennis
Tyler "close-orbiting seizure" Ennis
Tyler "Scrappy Doo" Ennis
Tyler "Diamond encrusted incontinence breezers prototype" Ennis

He is as effective as if they played a hologram of Parise on the ice. The energy and the effort are there, he's doing the things, but there is apparently nothing to him. I am starting to suspect he is made out of wicker. If he broke easier I'd say balsa wood, but he seems to have some give when he bounces away from someone like Bambi on ice, so I'm going with wicker.
He's a ****ing tumbleweed on the moon with a cobweb for a hockey stick.
Frantic, high-energy whiffs. Like a bird hell-bent on killing you if. it. could. just. break. this. damn. window.
the Oompa Loompas will sing a little something after his first journey into a corner Byfuglien also wants to be in
voodoo doll would be an equally impactful Parise fill-in
what dish he would be. Butterfly rockefeller, or maybe turducken made with real turd
he's a Parise engine stuffed into a hummingbird
Hopefully if someone goes, the gentle wind current created by them going through the doorway is enough to carry Ennis along with them.
Ennis is the first 25 or however many minutes of Captain America. He just needs magical comic book superhero serum and he'll be fine. We weren't meant to hate weiner-sized Johnny America or whatever his stupid name is, but we sure as hell aren't meant to expect him to get apricot one either.
Every shift, and Ennis' entire NHL career, ends with a pat on the head and mom saying "Oh but honey you tried so hard out there." He's Parise's Danny DeVito in Bee Twins. Watching his icetime with Grandumpelschmeldford is like seeing a eunuch spend a gift card at The Sex and Pixy Stix Store.
Ennis, I don't know, he still seems like an ornamental windmill to me. Spinning along like meant to and expected but not actually hooked up to anything.
would benefit from being invited to a murder mystery dinner at Antoine Winfield's camp
Ennis handles his size like
XrSxUp.gif

Ennis digs the puck out of the corner like
Dog-bounces-off-ball.gif

I admire the tenacity, but sweet jesus, Hockey Bridgewater, that you escaped this time while the oafy power forwards got dinged is only going to make the next Final Destination movie even worse.

RIP Tyler Ennis, 2017-2018

toby-lunch-tray-o.gif

I would buy this as a coffee table book.

Reactions: FVM and Drewcifer

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Skating is the most important skill, and it's the reason that Brodin can play either side without much dropoff at all. I just don't think skating is what anyone is talking about when they say "highly skilled".

I would love to hear what traits Brodin has thatwould make someone say he has a high IQ. IMO- everything that he does well, is directly tied to him being a much better skater than the guy he's up against.

I would think defensive IQ has a lot to do with his stickwork and gap control too. You can be the best ice skater in the world but you still need to have hockey IQ in order to be effective on defense.

I agree with you for the most part though, I wouldn’t call Brodin “highly skilled”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad