Confirmed with Link: Ennis on buyout waivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

SomethingGeneric

Sep 25, 2014
Dislike this move. Not a fan of buyouts especially in the last year of the deal. Ennis was a fine depth player last year and could have played 20 games when guys got hurt and spent the rest of the time in the minors or press box. Now we have two years of dead money on the books AGAIN. So we have a little extra cap space, it's not like we are hurting for it right now. Plus now if Fenton strays from his trade not FA philosophy we could potentially sign a guy now whose contract looks even worse than Ennis' when it's all said and done. An ominous start for Fenton keeps on looking more and more questionable. Just waiting for the bad hockey trade to "shake things up" and he will have the trifecta of bad decisions.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Dislike this move. Not a fan of buyouts especially in the last year of the deal. Ennis was a fine depth player last year and could have played 20 games when guys got hurt and spent the rest of the time in the minors or press box. Now we have two years of dead money on the books AGAIN. So we have a little extra cap space, it's not like we are hurting for it right now. Plus now if Fenton strays from his trade not FA philosophy we could potentially sign a guy now whose contract looks even worse than Ennis' when it's all said and done. An ominous start for Fenton keeps on looking more and more questionable. Just waiting for the bad hockey trade to "shake things up" and he will have the trifecta of bad decisions.
Couldn't disagree more.

Reactions: Bruce Granville

SomethingGeneric

Sep 25, 2014
I will say I am a fan of getting him off the team as he wasn't going to play 4th line and he isn't good enough to play in the top 9. Clearly no trade opportunities worked out so buyout it is. Still don't like using buyouts.

Reactions: 2Pair

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I will say I am a fan of getting him off the team as he wasn't going to play 4th line and he isn't good enough to play in the top 9. Clearly no trade opportunities worked out so buyout it is. Still don't like using buyouts.
Trades are much harder to come by when teams think they can fill holes through free agency.

Reactions: SomethingGeneric

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Questionable move. Remember that he has to be replaced, so you can add a minimum salary to those buyout numbers. Saves about 1.6M this year and costs an extra 2M next year. That 1.6M really so important now? Not seeing it.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Questionable move. Remember that he has to be replaced, so you can add a minimum salary to those buyout numbers. Saves about 1.6M this year and costs an extra 2M next year. That 1.6M really so important now? Not seeing it.
We already had replaced him with just about any other warm body out of Iowa and then eventually Greenway.

Replacing Ennis isn't all that complicated when it just means you need someone better than Ennis.

Ennis was the extra forward in that scenario, so really, it IS a $2.4m savings vs the roster at the end of the season.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
We already had replaced him with just about any other warm body out of Iowa and then eventually Greenway.

Replacing Ennis isn't all that complicated when it just means you need someone better than Ennis.

Ennis was the extra forward in that scenario, so really, it IS a $2.4m savings vs the roster at the end of the season.
But you still need a minimum of 20 man roster. Ennis was the 20th man, now he's dead money and the 20th man will make a minimum salary. So the cap will have Ennis buyout + his replacement.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
But you still need a minimum of 20 man roster. Ennis was the 20th man, now he's dead money and the 20th man will make a minimum salary. So the cap will have Ennis buyout + his replacement.
The point of having the extra forward is to have someone semi-useful that can slot in and play games because of injury/matchups/whatever. Ennis isn't that, or shouldn't be that. He would just be taking up a roster spot. AHL call-up guys like Rau or O'Reilly are better options to play in an actual hockey game than Ennis.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
The point of having the extra forward is to have someone semi-useful that can slot in and play games because of injury/matchups/whatever. Ennis isn't that, or shouldn't be that. He would just be taking up a roster spot. AHL call-up guys like Rau or O'Reilly are better options to play in an actual hockey game than Ennis.
That's fair and I even agree with it as Ennis is trash, but not my point here. Those guys are not free. If Rau or O'Reilly replaces Ennis as the 13th forward, the cap will have Ennis buyout+700k. It's not just the buyout.

So is that 13th forward upgrade and the 1.6M savings this year worth the 2M penalty next year? Ehh.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
That's fair and I even agree with it as Ennis is trash, but not my point here. Those guys are not free. If Rau or O'Reilly replaces Ennis as the 13th forward, the cap will have Ennis buyout+700k. It's not just the buyout.
Agreed, and it's something that's easy to lose sight of. I'm still delighted by it :nod:

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i cant believe we couldn't have traded him & retained 2 mill for future considerations. saving us .5 this year & 1 next year. but this was all on fletch not new mgmt.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Totally random hypothetical question:

What would happen if someone had claimed Ennis off of waivers this morning? Does the buyout go away, do they get him at half price, or nothing. He was placed on waivers and it's a 24 hour process to clear. Is there anything in the rule book that covers this?

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Totally random hypothetical question:

What would happen if someone had claimed Ennis off of waivers this morning? Does the buyout go away, do they get him at half price, or nothing. He was placed on waivers and it's a 24 hour process to clear. Is there anything in the rule book that covers this?
They take over his entire contract. Zero cap hit for the Wild

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
i cant believe we couldn't have traded him & retained 2 mill for future considerations. saving us .5 this year & 1 next year. but this was all on fletch not new mgmt.
So in that scenario, your up in arms about 0.2 next year?

I think the nearly +2 in our favor this year far trumps a measly 0.2 next year in the scenario they chose vs the one you just suggested.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
So in that scenario, your up in arms about 0.2 next year?

I think the nearly +2 in our favor this year far trumps a measly 0.2 next year in the scenario they chose vs the one you just suggested.

It's $1.2m next year and retaining $2m on Ennis this year would be the same hit as a buyout.

Nobody was taking Ennis for even half price without the Wild sending some other asset back with him, so it's a moot point.

Reactions: 2Pair

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Nope. Not surprised someone signed him. He was massively overpaid last season - no question about that. But he was not an ineffective player at all, especially relative to the rest of the team.
Tyler Ennis is not an NHL player. Pretty much the definition of ineffective.

Reactions: FVM and TaLoN

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
What should we expect from him?

I only remember him playing decently for the Sabres a couple of seasons and lost track of him when he went West.

Keep in mind, he would be on our 4th line and likely on the wing, but does he play C? How was he utilized with your team last year? Does he PK?

Thanks!

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Expect nothing, and hope that you are surprised by something. He is an ineffectual player at this point who provides little to any part of the game....to a team that focusses only on offense he might be able to chip in something now and again.

C? PK? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
What should we expect from him?

I only remember him playing decently for the Sabres a couple of seasons and lost track of him when he went West.

Keep in mind, he would be on our 4th line and likely on the wing, but does he play C? How was he utilized with your team last year? Does he PK?

Thanks!
The possession stats say he wasn't completely useless last year, so maybe that provides some hope. Maybe Tavares or Matthews can bounce pucks off him.

The eye-test says he was a waste of a slot regardless of where he played. He could skate and handle a puck okay, but he very rarely did anything useful with it. Without the puck he may as well have not even existed. If he's in your top-6 you'll want him swapped out for someone that can score. If he's in the bottom-6 you'll want him swapped out for someone that can check or make/take a hit. Regardless of where he plays you will probably be a little impressed by how hard he works and how little he has to show for it.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
I imagine Ennis will get a shot here and there and fall short, get waived, someone will think he's cheap and used to be a 20+ goal scorer so they pick him up, process repeats until he finally clears and finishes the year in the AHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->