GWT: English Premier League Round 4

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Liverpool got wreckt 5-0. You should be worried. PSG/Barca/Real Madrid could make a game of it with 10 men. Why not your Liverpool? :laugh:

I think explaining why a team that plays the way Liverpool do would be very poor when trying to switch tactics and bunker up but it'd be a waste of time.

Liverpool are going to struggle against any team that forces them to defend for extender periods of time because it's not the way they're drilled.

I still think PSG/Barcelona/RM would be in trouble against Pep's city with 10 men even though PSG and RM are clearly better teams.

Why should I be worried? Liverpool probably had more chances and looked slightly better before going down to 10. They're not going to play most teams with 10 men, and they're definitely not going to be playing against City's attack at home in those circumstances any more this season.

It's an unfortunate thing but aside from the dropped 3 points which sucked and losing Mane for 3 games I don't think it tells much more than what we already knew...Liverpool as a team don't do well when asked to sit back and defend because it's not the way the team is set up, drilled or taught.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Yeah, that game means literally nothing.

Except that they won't have Mane for two league games against Burnley and Leicester. Irrelevant otherwise. But they have this guy named Coutinho coming back into the team and he will probably play on the left.

Caramel

Feb 12, 2009
That red card was clear as day. Imagine the witchhunt on here if Ederson led with his foot and caught Mane in the face.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
TAA looked out of his depth also. That's why I suggested using Gomez/Clyne and Robertson against the top teams with TAA and Moreno against teams we need more help to break down. It's an easy rotation IMO.

Also yes, it was a red card clear as day. Accidental or not he still has to be responsible for his actions.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Stoke-Man U was a hell of a game of football. Thrilled as hell as a Stoke fan. Choupo-Moting was a beast and they look so much more settled at the back than they did last year. Butland recovering from injury and returning to top form is huge. As good as Lee Grant was at times last year, Butland is a world class goaltender.

5 points is a bounty considering the schedule to start the season. At Everton and West Brom (who have owned them since Pulis took over) and home to Arsenal and Man U. is a nightmare start. To have five points and look the way they have (especially at home) is just amazing.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
One thing the game showed that I didn't mention was that Klopp is absolutely justified in trying to replace Migs with Karius. Even when Migs has great performances, they're only just that, a performance. That isn't his level, he's merely good over the long term and can put in some horrendous performances. He had a great season last year, but that needs to be treated with caution as he was out of the team for various chunks of the season.

So both Karius and Ward will get the chances they earn. I think there's a good chance Ward is the best keeper at the club.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I guess we got one or two posters on here who are arguing that Mignolet is a good goalkeeper (that goalkeeping isn´t a weak spot for Liverpool compared to the other top teams), but apart from those handful Liverpool-fans do anyone really rate him?

I would say of course Klopp is justified. Doing it with Karius doesn´t seem like it is a good plan though. Even if it is a bit difficult to tell if he can put it together at one point. Even DDG had some issues early on (not saying Karius will ever be as good as DDG, but he might follow the same development trajectory - just lower).

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
I feel sorry for de Boer. I don't think his side has played as bad as their record shows. They just can't finish and are really unlucky. I hope he gets a little longer to proof he's actually not a bad coach, but I am afraid this was the final nail in the coffin. Will be tough to find a quality side now. He already went from Inter to Crystal. Maybe a low end Bundesliga side will give hin another oppertunity.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Renato has lost the ball about 20 times in this first half and kicked an opponent in the balls. Sounds about right.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I feel sorry for de Boer. I don't think his side has played as bad as their record shows. They just can't finish and are really unlucky. I hope he gets a little longer to proof he's actually not a bad coach, but I am afraid this was the final nail in the coffin. Will be tough to find a quality side now. He already went from Inter to Crystal. Maybe a low end Bundesliga side will give hin another oppertunity.

de Boer is a terrible coach.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Renato has lost the ball about 20 times in this first half and kicked an opponent in the balls. Sounds about right.
Sorriest, crappiest footballer I've seen in a Bayern shirt since maybe Christian Lell or Ottl. On the (toxic) Bayern subreddit so many were keen to throw Carlo under the bus in defense of this clown of a footballer.

Bayern really should've sold him to the next sucker and be done with the sordid mess. He's braindead, has a bad touch, lacks confidence in himself, and is generally USELESS. I can't stand seeing him out there.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Sorriest, crappiest footballer I've seen in a Bayern shirt since maybe Christian Lell or Ottl. On the (toxic) Bayern subreddit so many were keen to throw Carlo under the bus in defense of this clown of a footballer.

Bayern really should've sold him to the next sucker and be done with the sordid mess. He's braindead, has a bad touch, lacks confidence in himself, and is generally USELESS. I can't stand seeing him out there.

Carlo deserves criticism for his Bayern tenure but Renato just was never that good. Classic case of a player who matured physically at a young age and people mistook that physical ability with talent. By far his best attributes were linked to his physique, and he wasn't really going to improve a ton physically. Of course Bayern buying him reaffirmed a bunch of people in thinking he was a rare talent or something.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Carlo deserves criticism for his Bayern tenure but Renato just was never that good. Classic case of a player who matured physically at a young age and people mistook that physical ability with talent. By far his best attributes were linked to his physique, and he wasn't really going to improve a ton physically. Of course Bayern buying him reaffirmed a bunch of people in thinking he was a rare talent or something.

In fairness... United were chasing him for over a year, and he did play for one of the best Portuguese teams and on the EL winning Portugal NT. He's just freaking dumb as rocks and lacks all confidence in himself. Maybe he's utterly devoid of determination. I dunno. I'm sick of hearing about the kid.

I hoped so much to sell him off at cost but one good performance in a friendly changed everything.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Use your head man. There's no question that Mane deserved the red. Frankly when people are flying in like that yes they deserve red; it's ridiculous, unnecessary and dangerous.

This was worse in terms of recklessness, the only difference is Mawson didn't get injured.

My point here is that there is no consistency from the refs in evaluating these situations.

Adonis Creed

King of the East
Apr 13, 2015
Stoke-Man U was a hell of a game of football. Thrilled as hell as a Stoke fan. Choupo-Moting was a beast and they look so much more settled at the back than they did last year. Butland recovering from injury and returning to top form is huge. As good as Lee Grant was at times last year, Butland is a world class goaltender.

5 points is a bounty considering the schedule to start the season. At Everton and West Brom (who have owned them since Pulis took over) and home to Arsenal and Man U. is a nightmare start. To have five points and look the way they have (especially at home) is just amazing.

That's rare and unique...

I become an Arsenal fan becuz my friend was a big suppporter in the 90s... so I followed them since then:)

Wish I could have been a fan of a minor club!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->