GWT: English Premier League Gameweek 7

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Do Spurs have the best defense in the world?

Their defense is the reason I thought they'd win the league.

Oh, absolutely. Case in point Toby who was a fringe player at Atelti is a staple for Spurs. You could make a case for Spurs to have the best defence in the modern era.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Oh, absolutely. Case in point Toby who was a fringe player at Atelti is a staple for Spurs. You could make a case for Spurs to have the best defence in the modern era.

Savic didn't play at Man City. Filipe Luis didn't play at Chelsea.

They have the least goals allowed in one of the best leagues in the world. Last season they were tied for least goals allowed. I think that at least qualifies them to be in contention.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
The thing about goals allowed is that it is more about the system, and specifically the defensive unit, than it is about the individuals. Obviously you need talented and intelligent players to occupy those spots, but ultimately the whole needs to be more than the sum of its parts so to speak.

They are really impressive defensively though given they're not a parking team like some top managers do.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Do Spurs have the best defense in the world?

Their defense is the reason I thought they'd win the league.

Nope. Same as the last four years, it's still Atletico by a mile. Juventus and Bayern are ahead of them too.

Savic didn't play at Man City. Filipe Luis didn't play at Chelsea.

They have the least goals allowed in one of the best leagues in the world. Last season they were tied for least goals allowed. I think that at least qualifies them to be in contention.

Atletico gave up just over half as many goals in the same number of games last season in a better league. Don't bother with the No Easy Matches™ line. Spurs aren't even close.

mmk786

Mar 3, 2004
I'm surprised how fast people are to turn on Kolarov after he put in several great matches in a row to start the season. As others noted, Pep's choice of formation and players weren't particularly well-suited to buildup stability.

Stones' dribbles are very very nice.

Turned on him years ago. He flatters to deceive.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
PSG's defense is on paper, miles better as well.

Turns out Monaco's D showed them too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->