GWT: English Premier League: 5/12 - 5/18/2017

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Kane is better than people give him credit for, and given his record and performance, as well as his work off the ball, he can make a case for being on the periphery of the top 5 strikers in the world most definitely. I wouldn't consider Messi or Neymar strikers really, and Ronaldo is more of a wide forward than an out an out striker but I can see that inclusion.

With that said there was a lot more to the narrative against Kane than the 'not a top 5 striker' bit. He certainly has a case for being the best striker in the PL given his last three years, and not just because of how he's shown up on the scoresheet.

Except those players are so good that you really can't, and they are strikers because of what the position has become. I would say first tier with Messi and Ronaldo. Second tier with the other players I mentioned. Third tier with Kane and the others I didn't want to have an argument over.

To put Kane on the second tier he has to score some goals in next season's CL. More than one goal and one penalty.

Also, as regards to Lukaku, when Chelsea goes further than Tottenham in next year's CL, with him scoring many goals, I will remember this.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
No, it wouldn't, and their reasoning for who the champions would be is comical.

Liverpool got the most points of the matches between these six teams and I'm still arguing for no playoff. Liverpool also regularly knocked these teams out of the CL and would have had more titles if the Premier League had that system, so this collapse probably never would have happened. Keep the playoff out of big European football please.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
No, it wouldn't, and their reasoning for who the champions would be is comical.

Liverpool got the most points of the matches between these six teams and I'm still arguing for no playoff. Liverpool also regularly knocked these teams out of the CL and would have had more titles if the Premier League had that system, so this collapse probably never would have happened. Keep the playoff out of big European football please.

I disagree.

I don't care who wins what. This would be more exciting. The games at the end of the season are meaningless a lot of the time, and most of the time when they are not meaningless, they aren't between the teams contending for the title.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I don't care about exciting at the end of the season. The best team is always crowned champion and it needs to remain that way. Every league is exciting for well over 30 games for each team.

What you would do by changing the system is completely negate all the important moments throughout the season, and there are a ton of them. Every team plays each other two times. They have all the chance to win the title they need. Why would it matter if a player decided to get a red card for violent conduct if they can still win the title for their team later? There's actually countless examples.

Fortunately, and I really mean thank God fortunately even though my club would probably have at least three more league titles, this will never happen.

Weren't Spurs just in the title race until the last three games? That would negate your example straight away. Ripping the league title away from Leicester as would have happened would be absolutely wrong, too.

Last edited:

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Absolutely awful idea. I'm not a fan of promotion playoffs either. Don't even get me started with the sides that can avoid relegation with a playoff.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Also, the playoff games wouldn't even be entertaining, so that's just a load of bunk. It would be whichever team can play anti-football the best. Therefore you hire Benitez or Mourinho as your manager and win every playoff.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I'm reminded of Ted Lasso learning about no playoffs and ties.

The format should stay the exact same, the season is the playoffs, every game is important.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
When I first started following football I couldn't wrap my head around how it could be exciting without playoffs. You watch a few seasons and then it makes sense. The drama's still there, it just works differently

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Except those players are so good that you really can't, and they are strikers because of what the position has become. I would say first tier with Messi and Ronaldo. Second tier with the other players I mentioned. Third tier with Kane and the others I didn't want to have an argument over..

He is clearly in the 2nd tier you mention.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39963445

Crystal Palace manager Sam Allardyce says the Football Association's decision to introduce retrospective bans for players who dive from next season is "utter rubbish".

"It's utter rubbish. What about the lad who gets booked for diving when he didn't? Bring in technology and look at it on the day."

Leave it to Fat Sam to have a nonsensical take on something that makes sense

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Also, as regards to Lukaku, when Chelsea goes further than Tottenham in next year's CL, with him scoring many goals, I will remember this.
kane has played the equivalent of 8 games worth of minutes less than Lukaku this season in the prem

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad