GWT: English Premier League: 2/13-2/14

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Why haven't you guys complained about Ramsey rolling around yet?

I think someone did, I seem to remember mentions of Droidekas from ProPain.

I love so many of the youngsters on Spurs and they're an absolute treat to watch. Premier League overall has been fantastic this season (my Chelsea notwithstanding)

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
giphy.gif

It's not that either imo. La Liga and Serie A both have competitive title races and more watchable football.

Really sticks in your craw, doesn't it? Why even follow this thread?

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Which is a good thing, it's the ruin of other leagues that the winner is pretty much identifiable before a ball is kicked, the SPL has attained the perfection of this stupidity.

Yup. The complete unknown of which of 4 or 5 teams is going to win the title this late in the season is a great thing. I can't see how not having a super team or two like a few other leagues could possibly be qualified as a negative for the EPL.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Which is a good thing, it's the ruin of other leagues that the winner is pretty much identifiable before a ball is kicked, the SPL has attained the perfection of this stupidity.

It's definitely good in that it makes for a fascinating title race. it just wouldn't be possible if any of the financial giants would adequately make use of their resources. I'm certainly not asking anyone, particularly fans of non-giants, to wish for anything different, it just seems odd to annoint the league the best at the hands of the top teams' failures.

Johnnywhite

Aug 27, 2009
White Hart Lane
It's definitely good in that it makes for a fascinating title race. it just wouldn't be possible if any of the financial giants would adequately make use of their resources. I'm certainly not asking anyone, particularly fans of non-giants, to wish for anything different, it just seems odd to annoint the league the best at the hands of the top teams' failures.

Fear not, Chelskov & ManU will spend a shed load of money to restore the harmony of the universe, Citeh are not out of it & Arsenal are a very wealthy club. Spurs & Leicester are not exactly paupers either, but it looks to me that their current success is much more coach induced than pure cash power. I would love to see wage & transfer caps come into the EPL, used to love it when 6 or 7 different teams could win the top tier in England in a decade.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto

Near any proclamation of the EPL as the "best league" would be on the basis of the entertainment factor, not the top level of team. Also, the main reason why the Premier League has been amazing this year is because the resources are beginning to be far more spread out. The TV deal puts money towards the mid-table teams, which is why a guy as good as Payet plays for Hammers, Ayew for Swansea, etc. It is not simply that the giants waste their money, because they have transfer successes for every transfer failure (like any big team, for every Modric there's an Illaramendi, for every Rakitic an Alex Song, etc.) I won't deny that it was a weak summer for top team transfers in the EPL, but to say that money has been unequivocally wasted is an exaggeration. The main reason why the Premier League this season has been so fascinating is because the middle of the pack teams now have resources that match/overwhelm those of many continental teams, leading to more league parity. So it's less the poor-usage of top resources than the good-usage of midtable money.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Near any proclamation of the EPL as the "best league" would be on the basis of the entertainment factor, not the top level of team. Also, the main reason why the Premier League has been amazing this year is because the resources are beginning to be far more spread out. The TV deal puts money towards the mid-table teams, which is why a guy as good as Payet plays for Hammers, Ayew for Swansea, etc. It is not simply that the giants waste their money, because they have transfer successes for every transfer failure (like any big team, for every Modric there's an Illaramendi, for every Rakitic an Alex Song, etc.) I won't deny that it was a weak summer for top team transfers in the EPL, but to say that money has been unequivocally wasted is an exaggeration. The main reason why the Premier League this season has been so fascinating is because the middle of the pack teams now have resources that match/overwhelm those of many continental teams, leading to more league parity. So it's less the poor-usage of top resources than the good-usage of midtable money.

I agree with this 100%. Look at how many good players went from league leading continental clubs to mid/bottom table EPL teams last summer. With the TV revenue going up again, I can see this getting even more common place.

Sep 19, 2008
It's the most entertaining that's for sure

Main reason for it being entertaining is the Leicester city narrative. If they'd been mediocre as projected the league wouldn't be as exciting.

Race is wide open. That's a good thing.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Really sticks in your craw, doesn't it? Why even follow this thread?

This is a forum for discussing the sport of football.

The richest clubs have definitely gotten worse in the past few years regardless of the improving talent on midtable teams. Part of that has to do with wasteful spending, part of it runs much deeper in the football culture.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Wow what a game, just for pure entertainment that Arsenal/LC was good. Though Arsenal were the better team and deserved the win IMO.

But even with the win, I have to go back to Atkinson's refereeing was just simply atrocious today. One of the top 3 worst refs in all of the UK at the current time. It wasn't even Vardy THROWING himself into Monreal to get the penatly, which was a horrible call, but he doesn't even call the effin foul on Oezil on the other end of the pitch, which was one. If he called that, there would have never been Vardy's joke of a penatly to begin with, leading to two wrong calls. Then to make up for it, he has to give the red to Simpson on a foul which was easily a free kick instead of a card. Just extremely poor officiating from him.

Ramsey was atrocious today, by far the worst player on the pitch from either side he was that bad. Also the finishing sucked, I don't think Giroud was bad per say (he was the opposite), but should have scored at least one from all those headers IMO. Lost a lot of respect for Mahrez from that dive, that was Ashley Young bad.

And seriously **** Man City, couldn't keep it at a draw. Remember Liverpool fans, some of you blokes were saying Balotelli > Welbeck at the same price type of nonsense. I love Welbeck, been a quality signing, even if he's been quite injured lately. Actually for the Wenger fanboys, Welbeck wasn't injured for his whole lifetime at Man United, comes to Arsenal, gets two hardcore injuries the last two seasons, and then suffers a setback.

The richest clubs have definitely gotten worse in the past few years regardless of the improving talent on midtable teams. Part of that has to do with wasteful spending, part of it runs much deeper in the football culture.
Can't believe this, but I am in agreement with you. :laugh: ;)

Arsenal doesn't spend, Man United sucks at it, same likewise with City, Chelsea put all their chips on one player who wasn't going to move, and Liverpool's transfer committee is the dumbest thing you can do in sports. Only team who has been quite successful the last couple years for transfers has been Tottenham and they're still a Europa club.

Last edited:

Hesher

Sagan for President
Jan 22, 2013
Slovakia
I don't know why Atkinson keeps getting all these big games. He's not good enough. He makes too many mistakes and then he tries to compensate and ends up ruining the game.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Monreal stuck his leg out across Vardy and didn't get the ball at all. Vardy more than likely helped his case by running into him, but that wasn't a terrible call. Monreal put himself in a terrible position, and you're asking to get a call when you do that.

I agree though that overall Atkinson did a poor job of officiating the game.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
This is a forum for discussing the sport of football.

Oh, apologies. Didn't realize that's what you're doing. From my perspective, it looks like you have an HF Google alert set up for every mention of the words "Premier League" and "best", which when triggered, launches you into the same spiel every two weeks or so.

You don't like the quality of the league, its fans, or the attention afforded to it (on an English language message board no less). That's fine and I certainly wouldn't deny you that. I just don't see the need to clutter the Premier League thread with it.

For the record in case anyone is wondering, I think any and all discussions about the "best" football league is a waste of time. The only thing we've accomplished each time this is brought up is that everyone has their own measure of entertainment and quality.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Oh, apologies. Didn't realize that's what you're doing. From my perspective, it looks like you have an HF Google alert set up for every mention of the words "Premier League" and "best", which when triggered, launches you into the same spiel every two weeks or so.

You don't like the quality of the league, its fans, or the attention afforded to it (on an English language message board no less). That's fine and I certainly wouldn't deny you that. I just don't see the need to clutter the Premier League thread with it.

For the record in case anyone is wondering, I think any and all discussions about the "best" football league is a waste of time. The only thing we've accomplished each time this is brought up is that everyone has their own measure of entertainment and quality.

k...

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
the EPL is the best league in the world because it has the most story lines, it's just pure excitement. Meanwhile Barca just had another practice match

Yes, if you're hooked by narratives and effective marketing, the EPL is definitely the best.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
the Sterling call was weak, for sure, but the one that he got when he two arm shoved Walker and Walker got the call on him was just as incredulous...

Spurs ran most of the play, was a deserved result...

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
Yes, if you're hooked by narratives and effective marketing, the EPL is definitely the best.

seriously dude, how can you even?wtf.....last year's champion has been near the bottom all season long, while a club that ascended 2 years ago is leading the league and today we saw one of the most riveting possible title decisive matches of any league in a while, meanwhile other "rich and powerful" clubs are struggling and also the likes of Tottenham and Arse who are rivals and haven't won in a while are battling with the cinderella team for the title..not to mention all the player stories such as Vardy and Mahrez and the woes of Hazard and other Chelsea players etc..

in conclusion narratives and effective marketing..lulzwuuuut? in the actual fuuuuu...ohh you mean the headlines of every Spanish news paper every week about Pique's twitter or other Barca player's tax frauds, or how Benzema is in trouble with the law again..ohh yeah :help: :laugh: :rolleyes: meanwhile it's the usual suspect league again

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
seriously dude, how can you even?wtf.....last year's champion has been near the bottom all season long, while a club that ascended 2 years ago is leading the league and today we saw one of the most riveting possible title decisive matches of any league in a while, meanwhile other "rich and powerful" clubs are struggling and also the likes of Tottenham and Arse who are rivals and haven't won in a while are battling with the cinderella team for the title..not to mention all the player stories such as Vardy and Mahrez and the woes of Hazard and other Chelsea players etc..

in conclusion narratives and effective marketing..lulzwuuuut? in the actual fuuuuu...ohh you mean the headlines of every Spanish news paper every week about Pique's twitter or other Barca player's tax frauds, or how Benzema is in trouble with the law again..ohh yeah :help: :laugh: :rolleyes: meanwhile it's the usual suspect league again

All these things are narratives.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad