GWT: English Premier League 12/17-12/19

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Southampton tends to produce quality talent, whether from their academy or from buys like Mane. If they had the money and prestige to keep ahold of that talent, they would challenge for titles.

Another is Ryan Bertrand. In a time when Chelsea was searching for an Ashley Cole replacement, and they let Bertrand go. He's one of the best left-backs in England now at Southampton.

Fun Fact: Brendan Rodgers wanted Ryan Bertrand from Chelsea before he went to Southampton. FSG vetoed him and signed Alberto Moreno instead.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Rodgers gets a bad rep for a lot of things but I'm still quite a big fan. I think he's a good young manager that just had a hard time coping with losing one of the best players in the world, dealing with a lot of injuries and a generally weird situation at the club. He needed to go at the time but I think he'll be quite successful in the long run.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Southampton tends to produce quality talent, whether from their academy or from buys like Mane. If they had the money and prestige to keep ahold of that talent, they would challenge for titles.

Another is Ryan Bertrand. In a time when Chelsea was searching for an Ashley Cole replacement, and they let Bertrand go. He's one of the best left-backs in England now at Southampton.

We already had Azpi replacing Cole by that point, Bertrand was redundant. I like Bertrand, but he never would've hit the highs at Chelsea as he has been at Southampton.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
We already had Azpi replacing Cole by that point, Bertrand was redundant. I like Bertrand, but he never would've hit the highs at Chelsea as he has been at Southampton.

Azpilicueta was a natural RB, and we ended up buying Filipe Luis the season after for the left, but we continued to stick with Ivanovic at RB. I would've preferred just to keep Bertrand and rotated him in more, but the original sentiment was that Southampton is able to develop talent at both academy level and with players they bring in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad