GWT: English Premier League: 10/29 - 10/31/2016

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
People hate the Bolasie signing and maybe rightfully so in a vacuum, but he and Lukaku certainly have chemistry and Everton look pretty good with him out there.

"Value" and price are important but at the same time over emphasized by fans. If you can get a player that you think fits into your team nicely, money be damned.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
More like Joe Allen is the saviour of that team.

What could have been. :(

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
More like Joe Allen is the saviour of that team.

What could have been. :(

No way that Joe Allen would be getting minutes at Liverpool right now. Very happy for him that he is doing well but that's as far as it goes for me.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
There was a tactical study done of when Joe Allen was in the side under Klopp and the results were pretty conclusive. Not only was Allen our best midfielder but the entire team played better with him on the field.

I love Wijnaldum and Lallana but he's better than either and he's better than Can by a country mile.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
There was a tactical study done of when Joe Allen was in the side under Klopp and the results were pretty conclusive. Not only was Allen our best midfielder but the entire team played better with him on the field.

I love Wijnaldum and Lallana but he's better than either and he's better than Can by a country mile.

Not in Klopp's mind though.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Can and Allen don't even play the same role. The only player similar to Allen is Henderson and IMO he offers more to Liverpool that Joe Allen.

Henderson and Allen do not even play the same role. If anything it would be Wijnaldum and Allen (and Can I guess, but Can is terribly overrated anyway). I mean Wijnaldum is great anyway but yeah.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Funny enough you don't rate Sakho (fair enough) most people disagree but Klopp is making the call and everybody agree that his opinion is better.
But when Klopp don't rate Allen and go for the likes of Wijnaldum, Can and Henderson you disagree and believe Klopp is incompetent.

I have never seen anything great in Joe Allen game. I think he is definitely skilled and good enough for the premier league but he was never (at Liverpool) making the key deciding tackle, the great breakout pass, the great long shot, win the key header. He was just average just like what Kevin Stewart is doing for Liverpool at this moment. He was backup.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Then you're blind. Allen did a lot of those things and did it better than almost anyone (especially winning the ball back through counter pressing in the opposition half). On top of it he was easily one of the smartest tactical players on the team (which also explains why the overall team ball recovery % rose when he was in the side).

Anyway, I never said that Klopp was incompetent for letting Allen go so that's a false argument. I think Klopp is doing a fantastic job. I do think Allen could have been a key player in this team if he had been given the chance, but Wijnaldum is performing very well anyway.

There's no doubt at all though, statistically and through actually watching the games, that Allen was probably our best overall performer last year when he was in the side (and not just as an individual, but as a team performer), and he took that form over into the Euro and now he's been fantastic with Stoke.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
People hate the Bolasie signing and maybe rightfully so in a vacuum, but he and Lukaku certainly have chemistry and Everton look pretty good with him out there.

Bolasie was a fantastic buy. Had he come from Italy, Spain, France, or Germany, people would rave. But because he came from Crystal Palace, people look at him as an afterthought.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Allen's improved a lot in the past season or two, but he still has some flaws that makes him not a Klopp player.

He's gotten better at going the 90, but that's still a concern. He's also not physically dominant. He's not crazy fast. His goal return has improved, but has never been part of his game.

At some point, sure, you would have liked to keep him, but the club was going to probably lose him on a free if the talk of him not wanting to sit around and be a bench player was true. They made a decent return on him, he got the playing time he wanted, and they're not hurting with his moving.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Hard to talk about his goal return when he's always been a deeper midfielder that has been tasked with a more defensive duty. His first time playing with a bit more attacking freedom which was under Klopp he started looking dangerous offensively, and carried that over into Wales. Also not a Klopp player? If anything Allen should have been a dream player for Klopp:

Individual-counterpressing-contributions-1.png

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Hard to talk about his goal return when he's always been a deeper midfielder that has been tasked with a more defensive duty. His first time playing with a bit more attacking freedom which was under Klopp he started looking dangerous offensively, and carried that over into Wales. Also not a Klopp player? If anything Allen should have been a dream player for Klopp

I agree but height matters to Klopp too. I didn't love him leaving but it was inevitable

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I agree but height matters to Klopp too. I didn't love him leaving but it was inevitable

I think that had something to do with it also (the height thing). It makes sense since the deep counter-press should, in theory, induce a lot of long balls under pressure which need to be won (something that I will give Can credit for, even if I think his overall play is very lacking). I get it, and yeah it was inevitable, I agree. No point crying over spilt milk I just don't think he gets enough credit for how good he is.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Pfft... Welsh Iniesta gets plenty of credit.

He's a good footballer. I just think his level is probably more where he's at if he's not willing to sit the bench and be a squad player. Starter for a decent side, nothing more.

Klopp wants players who can improve and max out talent more so than just sit where they are. He's the best he's going to be. That's not bad at all, but it's also not a step up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->