GWT: English Premier League: 10/29 - 10/31/2016

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Liverpool getting lucky.

Probably the right calls on the two penalty claims a few minutes ago. Clearly the wrong call 2 minutes before the goal.

Half of the refs probably make the call there. I would say this ref didn't because the defenders arm wasn't raised but can see the argument for it being a penalty.

The ref is definitely letting them play today.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Worried Can is going to see red. Would have taken him off instead of Lallana.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Pew! Crystal Palace away is never a good feeling before the game. Probably need to work on that defense though if we want to be up there when may comes

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Pew! Crystal Palace away is never a good feeling before the game. Probably need to work on that defense though if we want to be up there when may comes

We'll be there anyway. The hardest part of our schedule is over and done with and they only lost once to Burnley during the whole thing. This was a dream start it could really not have gone better. Also look at Liverpool's last ten games. It's a joke, seriously.

If someone told me the Liverpool side that couldn't create anything against Burnley would have all these goals and points I'd laugh straight in their face.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
We'll be there anyway. The hardest part of our schedule is over and done with and they only lost once to Burnley during the whole thing. This was a dream start it could really not have gone better. Also look at Liverpool's last ten games. It's a joke, seriously.

If someone told me the Liverpool side that couldn't create anything against Burnley would have all these goals and points I'd laugh straight in their face.

Aside from Sunderland, there really aren't any automatics coming up for Liverpool. I wouldn't get ahead of yourself. Watford-Southampton-Sunderland-Bournemouth-Boro-Everton-Stoke-City-Sunderland-United.

The next 10 games really aren't that much easier than the first 10. Every team sans Sunderland has a gamebreaker on there that can win their teams a game. And you gotta figure that Sunderland have to get lucky result once.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Aside from Sunderland, there really aren't any automatics coming up for Liverpool. I wouldn't get ahead of yourself. Watford-Southampton-Sunderland-Bournemouth-Boro-Everton-Stoke-City-Sunderland-United.

The next 10 games really aren't that much easier than the first 10. Every team sans Sunderland has a gamebreaker on there that can win their teams a game. And you gotta figure that Sunderland have to get lucky result once.

Only one way to find out. Couldn't you say that for almost any team in the league though?

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA

There are no automatic games at all. But I'd rather play those ten than Arsenal-Burnley-Tottenham-Leicester-Chelsea-Hull-Swansea-United-West Brom-Palace.

Especially with Arsenal, Spurs, Palace and Chelsea being away games that Liverpool has a bad habit of dropping points in. Simply a top four challenge will do, I don't expect to win. Starting to think they'll be near the top until the end though.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Ridiculously soft. Martin Skrtel for example used to get away with far worse use of his arms on the regular.

Spurs have been doing this all season, especially Janssen. They are playing into contact to try and get penalties. They run into the defender and drop as soon as they get breathed on. Lamela did similar to this on Tuesday and got a soft penalty awarded as well. Pochettino is a media darling but he is certainly well versed in the dark arts as well. Whenever their press slows down, they start making fouls (that aren't hard enough to be yellow cards) and then will protest the ref to slow the game down to catch a breather. I hate how some teams play to the to advantage of the rule book.

I disagree. Is Martin Skrtel having gotten away with it supposed to qualify as evidence? Janssen may have gone down easy (which 90% of players would there), but Huth grabbing him and extending his arms was asking for it in a situation in the box that required no intervention on his part.

I do find it mildly amusing that you don't seem to find the Coutinho/Sturridge/Firmino school of playacting quite so off-putting.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Wasn't this like the first time he did that in Liverpool? Maybe second?

It's definitely not his first time doing it...it seems every time I watch him and he scorers he takes off his shirt. This was especially, pointless considering Liverpool was already winning. I'd get it sometimes if it's late in the game and it's a goal that changes the game but this wasn't really like that.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Lately Firmino has been faking like he's going to take his shirt off after goals. See his goal against Leicester This time he followed through :laugh:

Also good on him for being in that shape now considering how horrible he looked in preseason

I do want clean sheets but I also like pounding the piss out of teams. Would like both. First Palace goal was a horrifying lack of communication.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I disagree. Is Martin Skrtel having gotten away with it supposed to qualify as evidence? Janssen may have gone down easy (which 90% of players would there), but Huth grabbing him and extending his arms was asking for it in a situation in the box that required no intervention on his part.

I do find it mildly amusing that you don't seem to find the Coutinho/Sturridge/Firmino school of playacting quite so off-putting.

I'm just using Skrtel as an example because he was a horrible offender of this in the past while at Liverpool; and he got away with this quite a bit. What Huth did yesterday was rather tame compared to what I witnessed from the Slovak.

As you said, Janssen went down easy. That shouldn't be rewarded with a penalty.

I call them like I see them. If you would like to share an example of Liverpool "play-acting" I would be happy to give my objective opinion. I was certainly surprised Mane didn't get a red card at Tottenham for an example. But also in that same game, Jansen ran into a stationary Matip, hugged him and yelled for a penalty. It's either a tactic that Janssen uses, or Pochettino is coaching him to do so.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
People hate the Bolasie signing and maybe rightfully so in a vacuum, but he and Lukaku certainly have chemistry and Everton look pretty good with him out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad