Engelland named Messier leadership finalist

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'd love to see Engelland win it, VGK really needs to just name him captain IMO. No one will give you more and he'll gladly passthe torch when a youngster is ready.

Also if you guys do win it all, I can't think of a better guy to hoist the cup first

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
I'd love to see Engelland win it, VGK really needs to just name him captain IMO. No one will give you more and he'll gladly passthe torch when a youngster is ready.

Also if you guys do win it all, I can't think of a better guy to hoist the cup first

If we beat the Pens to win it all, it has to be Fleury. You can't deny the beauty of those optics......

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Engelland has played much better than I gave him credit for going into the season (thought he was only picked because he lives in Vegas and Calgary didn’t have the greatest options) but he has really proven me wrong.

With that said, I doubt he will be on the second pair again next year with Theodore. Vegas may play the fastest in the league, and Deryk skates with cinder blocks tied to his ankles.

He will be 36, and will probably be a 6 or 7 next year with a UFA or traded player taking his spot. You don’t want your potential captain being healthy scratched as that just looks bad, but that’s a realistic possibility next year.

I don’t want to be negative in this thread as he certainly outplayed just about everyone’s expectations, and I think he’s easily the front runner for this award far and away, but I don’t agree with the captain talk.

Reactions: Vegas Mac

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
Engelland has played much better than I gave him credit for going into the season (thought he was only picked because he lives in Vegas and Calgary didn’t have the greatest options) but he has really proven me wrong.

With that said, I doubt he will be on the second pair again next year with Theodore. Vegas may play the fastest in the league, and Deryk skates with cinder blocks tied to his ankles.

He will be 36, and will probably be a 6 or 7 next year with a UFA or traded player taking his spot. You don’t want your potential captain being healthy scratched as that just looks bad, but that’s a realistic possibility next year.

I don’t want to be negative in this thread as he certainly outplayed just about everyone’s expectations, and I think he’s easily the front runner for this award far and away, but I don’t agree with the captain talk.

I was proven wrong by basically every single guy we have on the blueline. Looking at our initial roster I expected our team to score a lot but to be a sieve on defense, and they've not only avoided that but have been a good defensive team. It's amazing tbh. Also demonstrates that I don't know squat too I suppose.

Re: Engelland and the C... I agree it's not an option. Knights did it right by not just giving it to Neal (which I wanted them to do, wrong again imagine that). But at this point it's gonna need to go to the young player or player in his prime that this roster gravitates around.

The C is a weird thing man. It can get into a player's head too. So I like their approach now, and hope they make a good decision when they award it because it's a big deal.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
Oh and congrats to Engelland on the nomination. What a great way for him to wrap up his career eh? Not saying he's done now or anything, but to see him wrap up a career playing in his home city and the recognition that comes with the success they've had, well it's pretty amazing. Hope he brings home the hardware.

Reactions: Nevada Jones
VGK Defenseman Deryk Engelland nominated for the 2018 Mark Messier NHL Leadership Award.

Deryk-Engelland-Golden-Knights.jpg

Golden Knights Deryk Engelland Is Up For The Mark Messier NHL Leadership Award

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->