Advice: Energy

Nov 4, 2017
Hello all, I have a game where I will be getting back to my house at around 10:30, and then have to leave by 6:30 the next morning for another game. Any tips on how to get some energy would be much appreciated.
Cheers.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
scaletowidth

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
When I have an evening game and am due back on the ice early in the morning, I always make sure I eat plenty when I get home which I wouldn't normally do, washed down with Gatorade, which I wouldn't normally drink.

When I get up I hydrate with water and on the way there I swallow a couple of candy bars.

I'm not sure it's too scientific, but the engines gotta have fuel and can't be running on empty..and give me fuel, give me fire, give me that which I desire.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
In all seriousness, I would have a protein smoothie before bed and another when I wake up

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
Sugar? Candy Bars? Protein Smoothies and plenty of food before bed? Wow.

Hydrate on the way home and before bed. Don’t eat anything before you go to sleep unless you are hungry and don’t get carried away if you do eat. In the morning get up a bit early have a light breakfast.

It’s more about what kind of shape you are in and how you slept the previous night.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Sugar? Candy Bars? Protein Smoothies and plenty of food before bed? Wow.

Hydrate on the way home and before bed. Don’t eat anything before you go to sleep unless you are hungry and don’t get carried away if you do eat. In the morning get up a bit early have a light breakfast.

It’s more about what kind of shape you are in and how you slept the previous night.
Yes sugar. Do some homework

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Listen bud. This isn' about a daily diet and long term health measures. A guy needs to play, go to bed and then get up to play again. Your advice was to eat nothing and eat a light meal in the morning. Why wouldnt you eat? You didn' even suggest what to eat. What are you going to suggest? Cereal? Oatmeal? What are those foods? Carbohydrates! What does our body do to carbs? Make sugar! What goes on cereal and Oatmeal? Milk. What's in milk? Lactose. What's lactose? Sugar!

So in his particular situation with an already depleted body and the need for quick energy in the morning we can save the body from digesting things down into their respective parts and go straight to the source. He can resume his daily diet after

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
Olympic athletes eat fast food like McDonald's to refuel. Calories are calories. There's no difference between calories from a Big Mac vs calories from an apple.

Long term nutritional benifits, that's another story.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
Listen bud. This isn' about a daily diet and long term health measures. A guy needs to play, go to bed and then get up to play again. Your advice was to eat nothing and eat a light meal in the morning. Why wouldnt you eat? You didn' even suggest what to eat. What are you going to suggest? Cereal? Oatmeal? What are those foods? Carbohydrates! What does our body do to carbs? Make sugar! What goes on cereal and Oatmeal? Milk. What's in milk? Lactose. What's lactose? Sugar!

So in his particular situation with an already depleted body and the need for quick energy in the morning we can save the body from digesting things down into their respective parts and go straight to the source. He can resume his daily diet after
“Listen bud” !?!? Did I hit a nerve or are you just a forum tough guy when someone says something that you don’t agree with?

In the end you said sugar was ok and I responded by saying that some sugars are great and some are horrible. You got mad and are now going off on to a tangent, instead of admitting what I said is 100% correct. You also either lied, misunderstood or are intentionally misrepresenting what I posted. My advice was to eat nothing “unless you are hungry, but don’t get carried away.” Why did you feel the need to claim I only said “eat nothing?” When it comes to eating a light breakfast, that’s simply common sense as it’s obvious that you should eat a huge breakfast right before you play a game.

I’m eager to see your response, as I’m sure it will be humorous.

leftwinger37

Jun 7, 2011
"Great Lakes State"
Everyone's answer here will be different because everyone's body is different and everyone's performance goals are different.

I'll just preface this by saying "this is what works for me":

-Lots of fluids after the first game. I'm not big on sports drinks because of all the junk in them, so water and or/coconut water would be my go-to. Avoid alcohol if possible.
-If you're going to eat, eat as light and clean as possible. Personally, I would just do a protein shake before bed for recovery. If you're already loading up on fluids, that combined with the protein shake should fill you up.
-Again, depending on your performance goals, do some light form of exercise for 15-20 minutes to flush the lactic acid in your legs. If you're young and spry, you probably have no idea what I am talking about. I might ride the bike a little if I'm feeling ambitious. At the very least, get a stretch in before bed to help alleviate stiffness/soreness.
-Another veteran move: Motrin before bed
-I'm a light breakfast guy. My go-to is 1 cup of steel cut oats with a teaspoon of cinnamon and brown sugar, one single-serving container of Greek yogurt (get the no sugar, high-protein kind), and a banana. This is provided that I'm not just waking up and heading to the rink. If that's the case, a protein bar and a coconut water as early as possible.
-Get a good stretch in and I'm out the door and ready to play.

Having said all of this, you know your body better than anyone else. I'm not some fitness freak/nutrition nazi, I just know what my body needs to get to the level I need to be at to meet high-performance expectations. The situation always dictates. If I'm playing in a tournament and I'm on the road with a fun group, I might just be crushing wings and beer until 2 AM. The moral of the story is you get what you give.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad