Energy levels for multiple workouts a day

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Hello,

I've run into a bit of an issue lately and am looking for some advice. My usual week involves a gym session after work M-F (weights), and the "stairs" 3 times a week over lunch. The Stairs are just a long ass flight of stairs in town. There's aprox 223 stairs and I'll do them at least 7 times each session. My diet is fairly strict (basically protein and veggies). Usually this isn't an issue for me.

Friday for example, I did 10 sets on the stairs (personal best). First 5 took 18 minutes (good/avg time) and the second 5 took 27 minutes. 7 sets typically takes ~27 minutes. The gym is almost all upper body/core, and even after hitting the stairs at lunch and really pushing myself, I can still have a decent session after work at the gym. I'm usually there for about 45-60 minutes depending on the day. No supersets, but I try to get in and out asap.

However my sister just moved back to town, and the only time we can hit the gym together is in the mornings - so we do Monday mornings (this was week 3). I've tried getting more sleep (I'm getting up at 530 instead of 7) and I've tried eating a LOT more in the mornings up to lunch, but I still seem to have energy issues when trying to hit the stairs on Mondays after doing a morning workout (~7-8am, stairs ~1230). I'm not recovering between sets as fast and I don't have the same energy over the course of the session.

Now I'm not in the best shape (33, 5-9, ~200 - ideal body weight for my body type would be 170-190 depending on muscle mass), but I don't think this has anything to do with that. To an extent sure, but I don't understand why doing the stairs (1230) and then the gym (5pm) is so much different then doing the gym (7) and then the stairs (1230).

Typical meals (T-F)
Breakfast - healthy cereal, almond milk, protein powder
snack - protein shake
lunch - sandwich
Banana (only have when I'm doing the stairs)
Stairs
Post stairs - shake (only have when I've done the stairs)
afternoon snack - shake
pre-workout food - meat and veggies (usually broccoli/cauliflower)
Banana
Gym
afterworkout food - shake
supper - eggs and veggies

According to my health coach, this is fine. I'm still dropping weight and building muscle, and overall feel great. Energy levels throughout the day are good. Upper body is usually a little sore/tired after the gym, but nothing extreme and I feel fine the following morning.

I've tried eating more in the mornings - to the point where I'm not hungry and am still eating (something I normally never do), but I just came back from the stairs and I was still fairly disappointed with my times and my session overall. Just like previous Mondays, I just didn't have the energy.

So I figured I'd come here and ask for thoughts/ideas/opinions. If I can't figure something out, we can probably just move the gym day to Tuesday mornings, but I'd rather keep trying to sort this out first. Even if only for my own personal knowledge for the future.

Thanks.

Edit. Just to add after reading some of the other threads here. I drink almost no caffeine. I drink a lot of tea. Some of it is caffeinated, most of it is not.

The stairs:
13232960_10153483340417595_938353228965661119_n.jpg

Last edited:

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
Sleep is a huge factor when it comes to energy and recovery. I think that's really the only factor here. I've done morning workouts and they just don't work as well me - I have most energy in the afternoon or evening (and I am pretty sure there is science that supports the fact that you have most energy around 12-3pm).

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Sleep is a huge factor when it comes to energy and recovery. I think that's really the only factor here. I've done morning workouts and they just don't work as well me - I have most energy in the afternoon or evening (and I am pretty sure there is science that supports the fact that you have most energy around 12-3pm).

Same here. I could never wake up and run to the gym. I always have much more energy after work.

On my off days I'll wake up around 9 and workout around 1.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Kill my workouts in the morning and usually have **** ones in the afternoon/evening haha

Sounds like you might need a quick 30 minute nap sprinkled in there to try and recoup some energy

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
Yeah I think it just depends person to person. You can force it to meet your schedule but if youe're looking to get the most out of your workouts, just listen to your body. Same goes for what you eat, rest time, etc.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
What if you are eating too much in the mornings during your AM gym + noon stairs days? That could make you tired and lethargic from having to digest all that food between sessions. Perhaps try doing your AM gym workout in a fasted state (empty stomach or maybe 10 grams of protein only), eat a good post-workout meal, only eat light until your stairs session and then eat normally after that. It's worth a try.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
What if you are eating too much in the mornings during your AM gym + noon stairs days? That could make you tired and lethargic from having to digest all that food between sessions. Perhaps try doing your AM gym workout in a fasted state (empty stomach or maybe 10 grams of protein only), eat a good post-workout meal, only eat light until your stairs session and then eat normally after that. It's worth a try.

Except I only started eating more after the first time when I had zero energy (I tried to continue my old eating schedule that day). I also could not do weights on an empty stomach. I get lightheaded and ill if I do not have enough fuel when I do an intensive workout.

I'm also not waking up and going straight to the gym. I'm up around 530 and promptly have some eggs. Then a banana right before I head to the gym around 640. I can do morning workouts. I mean I've been killing the morning workouts I've done with my sister. I don't normally do them due to my work schedule - I frequently get called out for work after hours and that messes up my mornings. So an after work workout schedule means I miss less days. It's just that second workout 4 hours later that's suffering.

I think you guys are onto something when you say sleep. I'm very much a night owl, and getting to sleep before 11pm is hard for me. I'll try getting more sleep the next couple of Sunday/Monday nights and see if that makes a difference. But might just end up bumping the morning workouts to Tuesdays.

Last edited:

the pen is mightier

Apr 24, 2012
Edmonton
Sleep is massive, there's something like a 60% difference in testosterone production in someone sleeping 4-5 hours vs 8 hours, among other benefits.

Also, if you need a boost before stairs, energy gels could be useful. I use GU berry for my long runs, take one 15 mins before and it might help tide you over. In addition to the sugar, they also contain caffeine and some BCAA.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
It is. There is quite a lot of research on this. I can't say I remember the terms, but a combination of not eating (while sleeping) and lack of daylight makes the body "sluggish".

That said you will adapt over time. I used to run before school when going to University. In the beginning it was hell, but after some months energy levels changed - both for the run itself, but also not getting sleepy mid-day (which I would in the beginning).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad