End season at 72 games and playoff?

LastChancePrice

Dec 12, 2004
Been doing some calculation, there is a total of 68 games for all teams remaining to be played in total of the to get to 72 games, which mean a total of 34 games remains to be done. This could be achievable over the course of 1 week, and it will give the chance for all who have more games remaining a shot of making it , the Islanders and Canes would have to play something like Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday to give em a little break between each, and I think the only team that would put a veto against that would be Arizona, and perhaps Chicago, cause this move put them right out of playoff hopes. All other teams in the course well, got a shot at trying to make it, and they would be the only losers from this.

Hoping its the way it can be done, cause going right into playoff and look at % of points vs standing would be really weird to process.

Reactions: jetsforever

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Should end the season at 68 games instead. Ignore the last few games by teams that played beyond 68.

Then award the Presidents' Trophy and individual awards via Skype, and call it a season. And hope this thing is under control by October.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Been doing some calculation, there is a total of 68 games for all teams remaining to be played in total of the to get to 72 games, which mean a total of 34 games remains to be done. This could be achievable over the course of 1 week, and it will give the chance for all who have more games remaining a shot of making it , the Islanders and Canes would have to play something like Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday to give em a little break between each, and I think the only team that would put a veto against that would be Arizona, and perhaps Chicago, cause this move put them right out of playoff hopes. All other teams in the course well, got a shot at trying to make it, and they would be the only losers from this.

Hoping its the way it can be done, cause going right into playoff and look at % of points vs standing would be really weird to process.

If they decide to go ahead with playoffs (no fans, probably starting in June or so), then I hope a week of games like this happens first.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Sorry OP, but it seems like you may need to think this through a little further.

Think about what would be required to get a team ready to replay NHL hockey again. Pretty sure you can rule out bringing back teams with no chance of making the playoffs just to be fodder for teams that do have a chance, but haven't yet played 72 games (or however many). And if the proposal is to just include teams still in it, here's a hypothetical that illustrates the potential problems there: what if the Isles next 2 scheduled games were a home-and-home against Detroit (39 pts)? How fair would it be for those games to be replaced by two against teams currently at 78 pts or more?

Imo the proposal would require a whole new mini-schedule, which means trying to balance strength of schedule, both for the games already played as well as the new ones needing to be scheduled. A logistical Pandora's box I doubt the NHL would want to open.

Even if you did this, why 72 games? In the East, the least any team that has a chance of qualifying has played is 68 games and the most is 70 games. In the West the range is 69 to 71. That's an imbalance of at most 2 games within each Conference instead of the up to 4 games you propose making up. I can't see any reason to balance total games played across Conferences as they don't influence playoff spots for each other.

Just adopt an expanded playoff that includes all teams that had a realistic shot at making the playoffs at the time the season was interrupted (there have been several suggestions on here that seem to make sense, imo).

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Do it by points percentage. The logistics of adding a few more games, especially for the teams not in playoff contention, is a shit show.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
Playoffs? I just hope we get to see another game

But anyone who thinks we are gonna see any hockey again this season is in pretty much denial, anyone who thinks we are going to see hockey in 2020-21 is optimistic, I'd say its 40% we won't see hockey until 2021-22 and 60% we have a partial year next year

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I’m just hoping we see next season start before Christmas at this point...

I think next season will be fine. I do think awarding the cup this year will be in serious jeopardy, and I’m ok with that but am biased of course. Since my teams are not even in a playoff spot.

Reactions: Paul4587

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
While I think this year is in serious jeopardy, I actually don’t think this is a terrible idea. Rather than just ending the regular season abruptly and playing the playoffs it gives teams a chance to still make it who were just outside the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad