End of Year Grades

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Sam took he’s even strength game to another level.... and his biggest booster is disappointed in his season?
I'm not disappointed, Sam was Sam - an awesome player. I just think he's previously shown he can do more than he did this year. I want him to be a top two-way forward.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
I'm not disappointed, Sam was Sam - an awesome player. I just think he's previously shown he can do more than he did this year. I want him to be a top two-way forward.

A new coach would do him good. His problems are mental. And not Hocky IQ mental.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Centers:

Johan Larsson: A-, for performing the dirtiest job on the team and still managing positive Corsi for% with an 85% defensive zone deployment. People who complain about Larry (and to an extent Gus) make me wonder if they could identify a good defensive forward given a map, a compass, and a clue.

Evan Rodrigues: B, performed above expectations and seemed like the only player who has grown under Phil. He's not great, but as a swiss-army knife utility forward who can fill in anywhere at forward on any line? More like him please.

Jack Eichel: C-, as the combination of being the captain, of being game planned for, and getting hurt took him out of being dominant for a stretch of the season. He was slightly below my expectations for his season as his defensive lapses remain and his frustration pushed him into trying to solo rush too many times as the season slipped away.

Casey Mittelstadt: D, poor kid was up when he should have been down early in the season. The kid's game did grow, but he was overmatched so much of the time early in the season. He needs more time in the gym, more time to grow into his body. The potential is there, he was badly handled and rushed.

Patrick Berglund: F, as a veteran who has done only one good thing for the team, and that was not contesting the contract termination. Over-paid and under-producing is the veteran motto for Botterill acquisitions, and Berglund was very much one of them.

Vlad Sobotka: F-, What a terrible player who was used in a terrible fashion with terrible results. The worst insult I can levy at a player is that his equipment was dry at the end of almost every game... and his was. No work, bad decisions -- he was the player the data showed him to be.

As a group, they lost a key player and didn't do what was needed to replace that piece.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Left wing:

Jeff Skinner: A-, as a tale of two seasons, from his unsustainably high shooting percentage at the start of the season to his unsustainable low shooting percentage to end the season... he's likely somewhere in between. For effort and how he plays his game, there was very little variation from the first game to the last.

CJ Smith: C+, in limited minutes, had a good goals/60 and got terrible deployment with that shit-bag Sobotka. Never got worked in any other role to see if they have someone who could be the dirty work player for a scoring line. Honest in his effort when up.

Scott Wilson: C, to expectations. An energy guy, a 13th forward, but not a good defensive player. How he got a 2 year deal remains a question, but him getting more than 4th line minutes is not a service to the team.

Zemgus Girgensons: C-, to expectations. For all that d-zone use, the limited minutes, he was close to 20 points on the season. Again, good defensive player, cheap who many in WNY couldn't identify with two hands, a map and flashlight.

Conor Sheary: D. All of those offensive starts, all that time against less than the best the other team had to offer and relatively little to show for it. He is such a place-holder. Can they be done doing favors for the Penguins now? His mid-season slump, when a veteran to defray the scoring, when he scored 2 goals in 33 games despite all that offensive use? What a disappointment.

Remi Elie: F. A bad player who should have been re-assigned earlier than he was to get a look at various Amerks sooner.

Victor Olofsson: Incomplete as the sample size is really too small. He showed the skills that made him good in both the AHL and SHL - dynamic shot, the ability to get free to use it, and an ability to find teammates. He's quick and does a good job of body position to win battles. I can't see him not being a full-time Sabre next season.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Right Wing:

Sam Reinhart: B, at points in the season he was clearly moving forward and there were nights where he was noticeably not the reliable player we have seen the last few years. He continues to grow and there is more there to tap into. This bridge is going to kill them in another year.

Kyle Okposo: D, the wheels have fallen off badly. He worked okay on the Gus-Larry line but for that money... they need so much more.

Jason Pominville: D, if he wasn't on Eichel's line, he wasn't even on vapors. I loved Poms when he was here once long ago, but for the cost and production and use... and the slumps again this year when the team needed someone to step forward to support the top line, he was yet again completely AWOL.

Tage Thompson: F. Sorry kid, but this isn't on you, it's on the guy who put you in the lineup who is now gone and the guy who traded for you and didn't rightly assign you until it was far, far too late. There is some skills there -- his couple of "on" games tantalize. But the bad puck decisions over and over again? His lack of accuracy hitting the net? His inability to use his size to his advantage with or without the puck on his stick?

Alex Nylander: Incomplete. Hope! Yes please. The guy still needs to engage physically, gets transfixed watching a little bit, but he showed he can skate and create. Heck, he made Sheary look like an actual winger for a few nights. That isn't easy.

Dan O'Regan: Incomplete. Watching him in Rochester and having watched how he meshed with Jack at BU and then seeing him get no look makes me think he's not in their plans at all. Which is sad for a fast guy with some hand skills who has not been given an opportunity. If he bolts to the DEL as was rumored, it wouldn't surprise. He wasn't treated well. More of that lack of accountability from the GM who had control of whether they could look at him and instead offered platitudes on why they could not.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Coaching:

Phil gets an F and this morning I was going to type that he should be fired. He has. Good. Lack of adaptation, lack of a working system, vet vs. youth accountability/toi issues... no spine. He was the worst.

Davis Payne gets an F for me for the PP. Again.

Steve Smith gets a C for me. I liked the PK with him, mostly due to the top pair PK forwards (Larsson-Girgensons) and the 2nd pair keyed by ERod. The defensemen made a little progress which is his forte, but the system did them no favors.

Andrew Allen... F-. Fire him into the sun.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
General Manager:

Jason Botterill: F. His acquisitions have almost universally been terrible. He is not good at identifying if players are ready or what roles they can play. He let nepotism and veteran preferences run rampant. I have been done with his bumbling for a while but it appears he will be back for another crack at it. He's not been what he was billed as.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
Some of you guys must have had very low expectations of Eichel and Reinhart. I don't think either gets more than a C+ from me.

grades should never be given off of expectations. Only based off of objective performance

Eichel is an NHL A- level player

Bobby Bottle Service

Win for Rick
Dec 15, 2005
Toronto
Eichel: A, he improved every year, stayed relatively healthy and came to play every game. There were some "here we go again" moments when things went sideways during the 2nd half of the season.

Reinhart: A-, his best season yet and was able to drive his line away from Eichel for the most part. When Casey comes along with his development, they could be a fixture for years to come.

Dahlin: A+, what more could anyone ask for? He's only going to get better.

Skinner: A, great season in total. Sucked when the whole team sucked. Please re-sign.

Mitts: B, handed a lot of responsibility as a rookie playing 2nd-line center. Happy he got to stay up instead of bouncing back and forth between Rochester. This will help his development. Needs to put on some muscle, but he's got all the tools.

Risto: C-, had a stretch of good games but mostly head-scratching decisions. Not giving up on his yet, but if there's a good hockey deal to be made...

McCabe: B, much better than last year. Wasn't an anchor for any of his partners.

Bogo: A/C, stayed healthy-ish and wasn't horrible. Sparked the 10 game win streak with his "I'll fight ANYONE" after the SJ game.

Poms: C+, played ok on the top line but is not suited for any other role. Yes, he deserved to be on the 4th line at the end of the season... but he's not a good 4th liner. Like many of us, I have a soft spot for the guy based on his first stint, but his time is done.

ERod: A-, perhaps it's playing with underwhelming teammates, but one of the more consistent forwards on the team. Makes things happen and is not simply a passenger.

Sheary: C+, like that he gets to spots for a chance to score, but needs to put it away. Too many weak shots and he wasn't as fast as I expected.

Angry Larry: B, fit his role and in a pinch can move up to 3rd line center.

Girgs: C+, love his hustle... packs a lunch pail. Hands of stone. Utterly replaceable, though don't mind if he's back on the 4th line again next year.

Nelson: C, didn't expect much. didn't get much.

Montour: A, for his time here definitely one of our better D. Reminds me of Erhoff in that he was supposed to be a defensive liability, but was much better than expected.

Pilut: B+, he was good based on our D, but probably wouldn't crack the top-4 on many teams.

Hutton: C, so so good at the beginning of the season. Best goalie since Miller... until the wheels fell off.

Ullmark: C-, goalie of the future until his wheels fell off about 2 weeks after Hutton lost his.

And now the F's, in no particular order:

Scandella, Sobotka

Incomplete:

Nylander, Olofsson, Borgen, Smith

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
Coaching:

Phil gets an F and this morning I was going to type that he should be fired. He has. Good. Lack of adaptation, lack of a working system, vet vs. youth accountability/toi issues... no spine. He was the worst.

Davis Payne gets an F for me for the PP. Again.

Steve Smith gets a C for me. I liked the PK with him, mostly due to the top pair PK forwards (Larsson-Girgensons) and the 2nd pair keyed by ERod. The defensemen made a little progress which is his forte, but the system did them no favors.

Andrew Allen... F-. Fire him into the sun.
I'm trying to find the "multiple likes" button. Clean house and start over; especially PP and goaltender coaching.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
grades should never be given off of expectations. Only based off of objective performance

Eichel is an NHL A- level player

I think grades should be given based on expectations. Parable of the faithful servant, and all that.

That said, here's mine (relative to expectation first, then objective performance second).
As usual, I don't like +/- added to the letter.

C:
Larsson A / A >I hope he's extended for 3-4 years, </=$8M total, can be moved after a couple years if needed, or if Asplund is ready, or pair him with Asplund.
Mittelstadt C / C >Should have been shielded by ROR and playing 3rd line.
Eichel C / A >Some games he dominated. Some he tried and failed. Some he didn't try. Expected stronger leadership.
Sobotka F / F >I had low expectations, and he failed to achieve them. Had to be near the tops in the league in defensive zone time because once he got there, he couldn't leave.

LW:
Thompson F / F >I expected an NHL-ready player and didn't get one; that's on Botts. I expected a non-NHL-ready player to at least have some jump in his game and not be so passive, especially with his size, but I didn't get that either, and that's on Thompson. I seriously wonder if it isn't best to simply move him out of the organization lest he continually remind fans of the Blues trade.
Girgensons C / B
>Met expectations for his role.
Rodrigues A / C >Best value contract on the Sabres. Would love to upgrade Sobotka, Thompson, Wilson, Sheary, Okposo, Pominville with players of ERod's consistency, versatility, dependability and attitude.
Sheary D / D >I expected a little more. Not just in the stats, but in ability, effort, impact to linemates, etc.
Skinner A / A >Greatly exceeded my expectations. I was negative toward him fitting in, given his playing style in Carolina.

RW:
Reinhart C / B >I expected a 20-40-60 season from him.
Okposo C / D >Didn't know what to expect this year. But I fully expect continued decline through 2023. I think they used to call Adam Creighton the "Condor" because of his height and arm span. They should call Okposo the "Albatross" because of his contract.
Pominville C / D >I expected a slow-skating, passive, largely ineffective player who would be opportunistic when propped up by Eichel, and a liability when not. And that's what we got.

D:
Dahlin A / A >Expected a ROY candidacy despite a crappy team, and got that. So calm and smooth. the defensive zone improvement will come. The Sabres system simply sucks.
Risto C / C >Expected him to eat minutes, but make a disproportionate share of dumb plays in those minutes.
Bogo A/ C >Did anyone bottle the first half of the season and try to re-formulate that?
Pilut B / C >Pushed for him to start the season in BUF. Wanted him to stay and play, once up.
Montour C/ C or B >Hadn't seen him play much for the Ducks. Can't decide if his actual performance grade should be a C or a B because I've forgotten what NHL-caliber defensemen look like wearing the Blue and Gold.
Scandella F / F >Dude, what happened?
Hunwick C / F >He met my low expectations of being below replacement-level in what few games he played.
Nelson C / D >I see no reason to pencil him in as anything more than an injury fill-in for next season, even if Risto is moved.
McCabe C / D >Too inconsistent to rely on as a top-4 going forward. Pencil in as bottom pair, move up with injury, after he's re-signed.

G
Hutton C / C
Ullmark C / C

Incompletes:
Borgen, Nylander, Olofsson. All were promising.

Who cares:
O'Regan, Tennyson, CJ Smith. Wilson. Not vital for the Sabres future.

Unsung hero:
Beaulieu. For enduring his benching, playing roughly every other game, watching worse players playing over him, and still finishing a +1 for the Buffalo segment of his season.

Fan favorite:
Berglund. For taking his ball, and his cap hit, and going home.

Most improved:
I got nothing for this category. The only things I can come up with is the waiting list for season tickets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad