End of the season Press Conference: Thursday 12:00 PST

The Bob Cole

Ohhhh Baby.
Apr 18, 2004
Centre Ice
They would have had empty seats in the playoffs if they hadn't offered the leftovers to employees at 50% off cuz they were so adversely affected during the lockout.

Boohoo.

Paraphrasing Gillis...he said they did that cuz otherwise his employees may not have been able to afford them.

lololololol

That's gold, Jerry. Gold!

I've known people that have worked there... outside those 'front office' staff you see on the site some of you are talking about, most people are making peanuts there.

In professional sports, staff members 'sacrifice' their salary... teams expect people want to work for them no matter what and that if you aren't the right person at their stated salary, then someone else is willing to work for it. In any of the 4 major leagues, only the top brass make good money, the rest are well below pay grade for equal opportunities in other organizations.

Also - those prices next year were set well before the team failed out of the playoffs. STH were sent them in probably March or early April... people are just picking up on it now because it's relevant since the team sucked. Should they reduce it after a year like this... yah. But, they already set their prices...

BC Ben

Mar 26, 2010
True North
All the stuff I get as a STH isn't enough to balance the high cost vs poor playoff result ratio. I know its childish to compare that against the success the regular season has held, but at what point do they consider ticket prices too high? When STHs opt out and those on the blueline waitlist decide to pass on paying the exhorbitant prices?

I had thought to upgrade my STH package next year, but not when it will cost me a significant increase yet again... At this point, I don't make any money on the resale to games I cannot attend - I practically give the tickets away when family or friends attend. Why would I buy more tickets and take a loss because the market is saturated with tickets from other dissillusioned STHs?

JC

Apr 15, 2013
BC
All the stuff I get as a STH isn't enough to balance the high cost vs poor playoff result ratio. I know its childish to compare that against the success the regular season has held, but at what point do they consider ticket prices too high? When STHs opt out and those on the blueline waitlist decide to pass on paying the exhorbitant prices?

I had thought to upgrade my STH package next year, but not when it will cost me a significant increase yet again... At this point, I don't make any money on the resale to games I cannot attend - I practically give the tickets away when family or friends attend. Why would I buy more tickets and take a loss because the market is saturated with tickets from other dissillusioned STHs?

Yes its getting ridiculous. I am on the blueline waitlist and seriously considering dropping out. I am having a hard time justifying it when the Canucks are giving money to the NHL to keep other teams afloat that have ticket prices at half the cost.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
There's also a really funny tendency in the NHL big media never to blame officials for anything, unlike every other sport. They won't even recognize how incompetent the officials are and rarely talk about it; when they do, it's to brush it off as an "excuse" and note that a team shouldn't have put itself in that position. Those are not mutually exclusive ideas, but they're treated like they are. Believe it or not, it's totally possible that the Canucks special teams were terrible, the team was unprepared, the line-up and ice-time utilization was a mess, and the officiating was still god awful.

yeah i wish people recognized this. even intelligent people i respect fall into that from time to time.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
I wonder how much arena employees make because I still couldn't afford tickets at the half off rate and I make $25/hr.

When I was in university looking for a job and knew someone working there, they told me it was about $12/hr. But that was about 5 years ago... could have changed.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
Also, people talk about cycling down low and dump and chase being what we played but there are good ways and bad ways to execute those types of strategies. The Canucks were good at maintaining zone time but Vigneault had zero set plays prepared and was too risk-averse to even allow passes back into the slot for fear of turning it over. As a result we generated almost no scoring chances all year.

gillis was the one who brought it up, almost to the point of disgust that theyd have to resort back to negative tactics to get better outcomes next season

id agree that there are better ways to implement thse strategies and undoubtedly a new coaching staff will assist with that but i just thought it was interesting that gillis seemed to think this team didnt already rely on these kind of tactics

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I see a few people are saying Gillis is trying to build a more Kings/Blues type of team and move away from skill but I don't know how anyone can come to that conclusion from listening to his press conference. Go to the 11 minute mark and he states clearly he wants a skill team and will try to push back against the trend of defensive style, less skilled teams.

He does say that he will push back, but then he follows it by saying even Holland admits that they puck will have to be dumped into the corner now, more often than not. Later, he says there was very little available when talking about his Roy acquisition... He also was rumoured to be going after Torres, Clowe at the same time.

I think his message is mixed.

To me, what he does with Roy will be especially telling. Given what's out there, now and into the near future, Roy seems a prime candidate to retain. But he's a small, skilled C that didn't get it done here, in the end. So does he go back to the Booth/Torres/Clowe types, at the expense of skill staring right at him, or does he go with the most purely skilled option?

There is an immediate choice here that will let us know where his head is.

Wcstripes

May 10, 2013
Gillis seemed really down on Roy at the press conference, and Roy did himself no favors in trying to stay here with his performance against the Sharks. Hell even Mason Raymond was more visiable than Roy and Mason always vanishes in the playoffs.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Gillis seemed really down on Roy at the press conference, and Roy did himself no favors in trying to stay here with his performance against the Sharks. Hell even Mason Raymond was more visiable than Roy and Mason always vanishes in the playoffs.

Yeah, 'He's all that was available.' is hardly a ringing endorsement. :laugh: If he wants to be bigger and skilled, Roy doesn't exactly fit the bill. I do think though that if MG can manage to bring in a big skilled C, they should move Kesler to RW. Kesler isn't really a playmaker, and while he is OK at faceoffs, faceoffs were a huge problem all year including the playoffs.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Yeah, 'He's all that was available.' is hardly a ringing endorsement. :laugh: If he wants to be bigger and skilled, Roy doesn't exactly fit the bill. I do think though that if MG can manage to bring in a big skilled C, they should move Kesler to RW. Kesler isn't really a playmaker, and while he is OK at faceoffs, faceoffs were a huge problem all year including the playoffs.

A big skilled left shooting 2nd line C would give us a one two punch for faceoffs, and help our team a lot all round, but I fear that is asking too much...

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011

Doubt it. MG just trying to cover himself and make it seem like he had no other choice. Maybe he was all that's available for a 2nd and a prospect. MG's just cheap. He always has been cheap. ffs, he couldn't even get torres. :cry: I was impressed with Roy's skill in the regular season. He has some sick vision and is very shifty. Kinda like a crappier Patrick Kane. During the playoffs, TSN showed his recent playoff stats. I can't remember it properly but I was not impressed. I think they said he had 1 goal in his last 20 or 30 playoff games. I was disappointed after that. :laugh:

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
When your linemates are Horton and Lucic, I think you can afford to be a bit undersized. Boston is a classic case of skilled smaller players getting room from big, physical (and skilled) linemates.

Yes a proper mix of players. It isn't all one type, it is a good combination of styles that makes a successful team.

The biggest thing with Boston, and it's clear in the way that come playoffs when Krejci came alive...suddenly Lucic and Horton are back to looking like the dangerous weapons on the wing that gave us fits...is that these sort of 'big power wingers' need guys who can dish the puck effectively to really work well. It's a symbiotic thing, that combination of 'power winger' + 'slick playmaking center'. It allows the skilled guy space to operate, and that skill allows the big bruisers to do work offensively, and really get rolling with some momentum behind them, where they become nearly impossible for most Defenders to handle. We don't really have either part of that mix right now.

A big skilled left shooting 2nd line C would give us a one two punch for faceoffs, and help our team a lot all round, but I fear that is asking too much...

Agreed. A playmaking center in the more conventional mold who is good enough to justify moving Kesler to the Wing would be HUGE in boosting this team's ability to score in the playoffs. I wouldn't even say they need to be 'big', as per the above points. Just...'bigger than Roy'.

I think this is the closest you will find:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Weiss

If talks between him and Florida have broken down, I wonder if we can trade the rights to Roy for the rights to Wiess.

Weiss is certainly still an option.

The other guy that i keep coming back to, is Paul Stastny in Colorado, where things just aren't fitting right with the setup they have there and the young team they're building. If there was any way we could pry a guy like Stastny out of Colorado (who won't be in division next year), i think that's the sort of move that would radically change the composition of this team...in one move, opening up a ton of new options for the coach and line combinations, as well as truly providing what Gillis 'hoped' Roy might be able to offer...another player who can stand on their own as an offensive threat, no matter who you pair them with.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Doubt it. MG just trying to cover himself and make it seem like he had no other choice. Maybe he was all that's available for a 2nd and a prospect. MG's just cheap. He always has been cheap. ffs, he couldn't even get torres. :cry:

What was he supposed to do with Torres? they had a better pick than us and we had no second rounder Were we supposed to give a first rounder?

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Yes its getting ridiculous. I am on the blueline waitlist and seriously considering dropping out. I am having a hard time justifying it when the Canucks are giving money to the NHL to keep other teams afloat that have ticket prices at half the cost.

It's about time people started thinking like this! I've been saying this for years, and is the prime reason why I'm fully on board with relocation. It disgusts me when we have to pay ridiculous prices to go to a Canucks game, when people in Phoenix can go to a Coyotes game for $10 and still don't go.

If the Canucks raise prices and raise single game prices next year I guarantee next season will be the year our sell-out streak ends (barring a major acquisition that gets people excited).

Tom.H

Sep 27, 2002
Kelowna
Visit site
"Everybody is very disapointed with the way our season ended. Right now, we need to take a step back and evaulate the season."

"We still had a very good year and won our division. We're obviously disapointed in the way things ended, but this is still a very good team."

"Roberto is a top tier goaltender and we're not just going to give him away. We need to make the right trade for our organization."

"Daniel and Henrik are two of the most consistent offensive players in the League and two very good people. We want them to play in Vancouver for a long time."

"Ryan had a very tough year in terms of his health, and we believe he'll be come back and be better next season."

"We feel like we have some young players ready to step in and play."

"Obviously, our season ended sooner than we wanted it to. We'll evalulate the performance of the entire organization, including myself. But Alain Vigneault didn't suddenly become a bad coach."

There, just saved you guys from having to tune in.

It doesn't matter is AV is a bad coach or not; it is time for a change.
If what I read in the newspaper is true Canuck owners wanted AV gone last year, but Gillis talked them out of it.
Personally, I don't think Gillis can talk them out of it again. I predict that if Gillis somehow was able to keep AV, if they started to faulter come game time, it could be Gillis's head on a platter.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
The problem with MacLean isn't that he didn't play hockey, or that he's a host -- it's that his opinions are facile. They always have the superficial air of "real thought!" behind them, but he's never able to qualify anything he says. It's just boiler-plate popular narrative hurled at whatever team/player/executive suits him. There's no consistency.

There's also a really funny tendency in the NHL big media never to blame officials for anything, unlike every other sport. They won't even recognize how incompetent the officials are and rarely talk about it; when they do, it's to brush it off as an "excuse" and note that a team shouldn't have put itself in that position. Those are not mutually exclusive ideas, but they're treated like they are. Believe it or not, it's totally possible that the Canucks special teams were terrible, the team was unprepared, the line-up and ice-time utilization was a mess, and the officiating was still god awful.

That's why I don't listen to any of that garbage anymore. Too many idiots. I'll read Friedman's column rather than watch him try to voice a few seconds of sanity amid a sea of raging idiocy.

Maclean's bias has become increasingly worse. It is hardly uncommon for him to blatantly cut Friedman off should he have a point. Even Healy, moron that he usually is, has to deal with a similar degree of arrogance should he attempt to highlights points Maclean doesn't like. It's among the reasons CBC never discusses refs, praise notwithstanding.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Doubt it. MG just trying to cover himself and make it seem like he had no other choice. Maybe he was all that's available for a 2nd and a prospect. MG's just cheap. He always has been cheap. ffs,
Who was this better choice for a 2nd line center that was dealt at the trading deadline?

he couldn't even get torres.
So you would deal a 1st round pick for him?;)

JA

I was just watching old game footage of the 2003 Vancouver Canucks from their January 8, 2003 game against the Ottawa Senators. That team had a ton of grit. The bottom two lines featured Cooke-Linden-Lindgren, and Ruutu-Chubarov-Letowski. Both lines were quick, and smashed the opponent on every forecheck. They threw their weight around whenever they could, and had the skill and ability to score. Chubarov's skill was massively underrated, and he made a few excellent plays including a nice saucer pass to Ruutu. Ruutu, Linden, and Cooke all scored.

The top two lines, meanwhile, were very good. The West Coast Express line was dominant against the Senators. Morrison had the tenacity and speed to pursue pucks. Bertuzzi had the skill and size to make Chara's work in the crease difficult. Often, he would wrestle with Chara in the crease, creating havoc. He and Naslund had immense chemistry, and the two had several give-and-go plays. Markus had that game-breaking ability and patience as well. When the three of them started moving the puck along with Ohlund in the offensive zone, the opposing players had no idea how to contain them. Ed Jovanovski was injured, so they placed Sopel at the point. Salo and Allen were the point men on the second powerplay unit. At that point, Markus had goals in five straight games, points in nine games, four consecutive game-winning goals, and had scored 30 goals in the first 41 games of the season to lead the league.

Crawford was fiery as a coach, and the players had incredible jump. They looked fantastic, defeating the Ottawa Senators 6-4. Dan Cloutier nearly cost them the game with bad giveaways and long-range gaffes, but everyone in front of him played very well. On Cloutier's fourth goal against, John Garrett blamed Murray Baron for not blocking the shot rather than Cloutier for misplaying the shot. The team won in spite of Cloutier.

We lack the proper mix of players right now. That 2003 team was built well. The bottom two lines had skill, speed, grit, and determination. They hit anything in sight. The West Coast Express carried the play whenever they had the puck. Naslund and Morrison were quite defensively sound, and all three forwards on that line were physical; Markus nudged a few players off the puck, doing just enough to separate them from it and steal it. if Bertuzzi received it, he often led the rush starting from his own blue line; Naslund would often carry it out from his own zone into the offensive zone. They were very creative with their breakouts.

On the Sedins' line, Trent Klatt was often quite physical with the opposition, doing much of the dirty work while the twins moved the puck.

The 2012-13 team, in comparison, looks quite mediocre. I honestly think the team needs to be built like the 2003 team. They were aggressive, physical, intimidating, and had the skill to succeed. They looked better than most now give them credit for. Their primary downfall was their goaltending.

Last edited by a moderator:

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
^ Cloutier wasn't great but he wasn't the *only* problem with that team. Blueline, while not horrible, simply wasn't good enough or of decent enough calibre even if Cloutier was just "average" to have any success in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad