End of season tournament for lower league winners

jabberoski

Aug 1, 2011
Seeing as the ECHL would win every single year why would they bother?
That, plus the fact the other three aren't unionized, it would never get PHPA approval for the ECHL to participate anyway.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
ECHL, SPHL, FHL, LNAH.

What if the winners will play for another trophy? Could it work?

Were there any ideas in the past to organize such tournament?

I guess you have never to watch a ECHL, SPHL, FPHL, or LNAH game. It wouldn't work. AA teams don't play A teams in minor league sports over in North America. Especially champions of separate leagues. Especially champions of separate leagues that have a wide range of talent and ability. The ECHL champion would easily beat any team in the lower leagues.

Unsurprisingly, this is probably the only time it has ever been mentioned. Typically when things are as ridiculous as this, they are mentioned less often.

Reactions: CrazyEddie20

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Yes, they do. That's exactly what the US Open Cup in soccer is. They've been doing it for more than 100 years.

Let me rephrase this then. Outside of fussball/soccer/footy, it doesn't not happen. AAA baseball teams do not play AA baseball teams, college football teams don't play college football teams. Outside of this one exception you mentioned, various minor league teams do not play one another in competitive tournaments.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Of course they do. FBS and FCS schools play each other a lot. So don't FCS and D2, and so forth. It's very common in college football to have teams of different levels playing each other.

What I meant was DI teams don't play DIII teams, I should have been more specific. Obviously SEC teams will play B10 teams, but they won't play a DIII team as part of a tournament.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
No, but SEC and B10 teams play FCS schools. College football teams play teams in lower divisions a lot.

FCS, last time I checked, is still NCAA Division I. The winner of the NCAA DI football championship isn't playing the winner of the NFL, XFL, CFL, NCAA DII, and NCAA III like Alko was essentially suggesting in a hockey equivalent.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
FCS, last time I checked, is still NCAA Division I. The winner of the NCAA DI football championship isn't playing the winner of the NFL, XFL, CFL, NCAA DII, and NCAA III like Alko was essentially suggesting in a hockey equivalent.

"college football teams don't play college football teams" is what you posted. It's still there if you wish to review it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad