GDT: End of Season Address + Locker Clean Out (Dubas says he can't guarantee Babcock back next season)

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
That contract is only one item of worry in terms of the GM's miscalculation. There are a few others but there is an opportunity still to correct many of them. Nothing can be done about giving Matthews full salary without buying even 1 free agency year. Sitting on his hands with regards to the Marner, Kapanen and Johnsson contracts is correctable with reasonable contracts and/or trading some of them off for cheaper replacement parts. The Marleau contract he inherited is correctable with a deal (including with the player) to send the player to another organization to be bought out. The suddenly inexperienced defense is correctable by finding a veteran or two to stabilize the defense next season. The backup goaltending is correctable by sourcing a decent veteran backup until one of the goaltending prospects starts knocking on the door of the NHL. The pointless insistence on carrying 7th and 8th defensemen who could barely play can be abandoned next season.
Some items of note:
- Matthews' contract does eat up a year of UFA
- Dubas talked contract with Marner last off-season, and was then told that Marner's camp would not continue negotiations until this coming off-season.
- Dubas reportedly talked contract with Kapanen and Johnsson during the regular season, before the trade deadline, and, if need be, still has plenty of time to trade them off for cheaper replacement parts, as they are, in fact, still RFAs under the Leafs' control.
- The "suddenly inexperienced" defense got a huge boost in January when Dubas acquired Gardiner's replacement for next year with Cup-winning, top-pairing blue-liner, Jake Muzzin, without touching our current roster or our top prospects.
- One of the goaltending prospects did start knocking on the door of the NHL - That's why they got the backup job over 35-year-old Curtis McElhinney.
- If anyone's 7th or 8th defensemen were sure-fire NHLers, they most likely wouldn't be anyone's 7th or 8th defensemen.

Reactions: KapG

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Ecocock??? The days of the Freudian slip are still with us I see. Or maybe; it is too early in the morning and the poster has just"woke".

Totally on purpose. How much blame did Babcock take in his presser ?

Is there no blame on Babcock for playing Matthews 5 min in 3rd period of game 7, horrible PP, horrible PK ?

Reactions: Menzinger

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto

Are we blaming Nylander because he's not on PP1? That would be on the coach, not on Nylander.

He had no problems producing on ES. Nylander will be a steal by the end of next year. People who do not realize this are the same people who criticize Gardiner and do not realize how good the Leafs were when he was on the ice than off it, the same people who thought Rielly didn't have the ability to put up a lot of points because he doesn't have a great one timer.

They were wrong before and they will be wrong again.

Guys who can put up 60+ points in their ELC do not just become busts. He'll be near PPG next season.

If Nylander isn't good neither are all those players you see listed above. They are all garbage as they played more than Nylander and couldn't get more points.

Over that period, Matthews had 10 PP points out of a total 38 points, Tavares 9 out 44, Marner 7 out of 41, Johnsson 3 out of 26, Hyman 0 out of 26 compared to Nylander's 6 PP points out of 25 total points.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?agg...sPlayed,gte,1&sort=ppPoints,ppGoals,ppAssists

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?agg...r=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=points,goals,assists

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

Are we blaming Nylander because he's not on PP1? That would be on the coach, not on Nylander.

He had no problems producing on ES. Nylander will be a steal by the end of next year. People who do not realize this are the same people who criticize Gardiner and do not realize how good the Leafs were when he was on the ice than off it, the same people who thought Rielly didn't have the ability to put up a lot of points because he doesn't have a great one timer.

They were wrong before and they will be wrong again.

Guys who can put up 60+ points in their ELC do not just become busts. He'll be near PPG next season.

If Nylander isn't good neither are all those players you see listed above. They are all garbage as they played more than Nylander and couldn't get more points.

Like like like!

The ONLY year Nylander had trouble producing at ES was his rookie year.

The people who refuse to take minutes/offensive usage into account when assessing Nylander are just dimwits, plain and simple. There's really no point in arguing with them.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
You just omitted things to save face.

Feel free to list them.

Let's just not say wild things anymore ok?

I will say whatever I please. You haven't said a thing to back up your position. When Lou named himself GM it surprised a lot of hockey insiders because of his lack of qualifications. Most insiders expected Dubas to become the GM either in Toronto or with another NHL team at the time he became GM.

rimshot

Jan 10, 2010
North of South Mtn.
Totally on purpose. How much blame did Babcock take in his presser ?

Is there no blame on Babcock for playing Matthews 5 min in 3rd period of game 7, horrible PP, horrible PK ?
I...think... you... have... to... read... slower. "Ecocock"??...I think you were trying to say "Egocock". Ecocock is just funny but Egocock is probably the lamest moniker attached to any coach anywhere on any message board.

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018
Did I miss something? Doug MacLean was on Fan590 this morning and I didn't catch from the beginning but he was speaking as if Dubas had already decided he was firing Babcock. Did something come out recently, other than the fact he said he wouldn't commit to Babcock at the presser?? He was getting all worked up and couldn't believe what transpired (again, I don't know what the heck he was talking about).

Edit: found the clip on their website and listened to the question - it's just Doug MacLean making a mountain of a molehill, nothing to see here. Apparently he took the presser very negatively and handled poorly and felt Dubas was basically saying he's going to fire Babcock or something. Guy is a clown, moving on.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
I...think... you... have... to... read... slower. "Ecocock"??...I think you were trying to say "Egocock". Ecocock is just funny but Egocock is probably the lamest moniker attached to any coach anywhere on any message board.

He has been called Egocock on this board all season... I was just using the moniker that everyone has been using.

Thanks for the spellcheck though.

rimshot

Jan 10, 2010
North of South Mtn.
He has been called Egocock on this board all season... I was just using the moniker that everyone has been using.

I think you missed the whole joke around eco-ego and Freudian slip and woke, but that's okay because sometimes I assume a certain level of comprehension that is just not there. My bad.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Feel free to list them.

I will say whatever I please. You haven't said a thing to back up your position. When Lou named himself GM it surprised a lot of hockey insiders because of his lack of qualifications. Most insiders expected Dubas to become the GM either in Toronto or with another NHL team at the time he became GM.

No. Everything you omitted is what is missing. I am not going to spend my afternoon trying to prove you wrong. You've already done it.

Pretty soon you're going to tell me that Lou doesn't deserve any accolades or awards he's been given in the past. People just argue anything I guess.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
No. Everything you omitted is what is missing. I am not going to spend my afternoon trying to prove you wrong. You've already done it.

Pretty soon you're going to tell me that Lou doesn't deserve any accolades or awards he's been given in the past. People just argue anything I guess.

Uh... Missing?

In April 1987, Devils then-owner John McMullen appointed Lamoriello team president. Lamoriello named himself general manager just before the start of the 1987–88 season, a move that surprised many NHL observers. He had never played, coached or managed in the NHL, and was virtually unknown outside the American college hockey community. - Lou Lamoriello - Wikipedia

I guess if you want to be pedantic about it, Lou was head coach of a college hockey team, then athletic director of the same college, commissioner of a new hockey association in the Boston area involving the local colleges, and then became President of the New Jersey Devils. None of these positions involved the general kinds of things that a GM would be required to do, which was the point of the original poster you're ignoring to claim that stuff is "omitted". Fact is, Dubas was a GM in the lower leagues, whereas Lou had no GM experience at all. I don't understand how stating this as a fact is "omitting information".

The only one arguing this is the equivalent of claiming Lou doesn't deserve any accolades or awards is YOU, apparently in a desperate attempt to set up a strawman.

Reactions: WestCoastLeafs

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
You can’t pay everyone or you won’t have a team.
All these one shot tweets are great. You can’t afford it all.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Man oh man

Something about this Leafs locker room is rotten. Every player contract discussion is a brawl, with reports of Andreas now turning down money, like does Matty and co. have them all thinking "go for the cash" I just don't get it.

Like they said on overdrive, other teams seem to not have this issue, but the Leafs have such a damn hard time with player contracts.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Yeah there's been a few idiots running around here all year.
Not really a club you want to be considered a member of.

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
Uh... Missing?

I guess if you want to be pedantic about it, Lou was head coach of a college hockey team, then athletic director of the same college, commissioner of a new hockey association in the Boston area involving the local colleges, and then became President of the New Jersey Devils. None of these positions involved the general kinds of things that a GM would be required to do, which was the point of the original poster you're ignoring to claim that stuff is "omitted". Fact is, Dubas was a GM in the lower leagues, whereas Lou had no GM experience at all. I don't understand how stating this as a fact is "omitting information".

The only one arguing this is the equivalent of claiming Lou doesn't deserve any accolades or awards is YOU, apparently in a desperate attempt to set up a strawman.
Dubas is a pretend GM.
Like a Child that is acting.
Great fun for him.
Sheer misery for this life long die hard Leaf fan.
Wonder Boy can't leave soon enough.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Yeah there's been a few idiots running around here all year.
Not really a club you want to be considered a member of.

So true, I agree, some of them also booed Jake at the rink. So funny, but I totally agree.

Babs is a good coach with some flaws. Dubas is the hot mess

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad