Tribute Emile Francis has passed away at 95

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
RIP. Does anyone know of any good reading or watching about that era of rangers hockey? Would love to know more.

HFBS

Noted Troublemaker
Jan 18, 2015
I don't know if he was the best Ranger coach I ever saw or I was just too young to know any better. The only pro coaches/managers I ever really liked were the ones I grew up with.

I remember the story that as a player, Francis dislocated his shoulder. The doctor insisted that he keep his arm in a sling and not play for two weeks. He said, "Sure doc" and the minute he was out of the doctor's office he took the sling off and did whatever he wanted, including playing goal. Two weeks later he goes back to the doctor and just before he goes in the office he slides his arm back into the sling. The doctor examines him and and says, "See? Now you can go back and play."

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Am deeply saddened and brought tears to my eyes reading above posts. Can barely type.
Like said, first Rod and now his coach and mentor as a human being. This stuff is ripping me apart. It's like my childhood is disappearing.

Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
As a season ticket holder through the heart of the Francis era, his death hits home. When he took over as GM and coach the Rangers were a mess and had been for years. There were two tiers of teams in the Original Six in the early 1960s: the Habs, Leafs, Wings, and Hawks. And then, there were the Rangers and Bruins. Brutally bad, terrible defensively, you name it...they were bad at it. Some of the pieces were already in place when he took over, but his moves put us over the hump. The Ranger teams of that era were some of the best in Ranger history...even though they didn't win the Cup. The Garden was a special place to be in the early 70s. You all know the names: Gilbert, Ratelle, Hadfield, Howell, Park, Giacomin, Vickers, Tkaczuk, Fairbairn, Villemure (I know I'm leaving some out).
Looking at photos of him behind the bench in that era is strange. Usually, he was the only coach back there, unlike today when it sometimes seems there are more coaches, medical and equipment managers than there are players. Francis handled everything: defensive changes, line changes, everything.
He eventually came to realize that being a coach as well as GM was two herculean a task and he was always trying to replace himself as coach: Bernie Geoffrion, Larry Popien, Ron Stewart. But all failed and he always was forced to take over again.
The Ranger teams of the Francis era followed a classic bell curve. Slow development, reaching a peak, and then, deteriorating as age took its toll. Eventually he was replaced, as even the most successful are.
The Cup winning team of 94 is my all time favorite team. I loved the black and blue Rangers of the Torts era. The current team, for all it foibles, seems to find ways to win that are endearing. The Lundqvist era certainly ranks as one wonderful time even though, again, there wasn't a Cup. But, if you were a young, hardcore fan during the Francis era, you hold the Francis era teams special. And that includes its coach and GM.

Last edited:

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
As a single ticket holder through the heart of the Francis era, his death hits home. When he took over as GM and coach the Rangers were a mess and had been for years. There were two tiers of teams in the Original Six in the early 1960s: the Habs, Leafs, Wings, and Hawks. And then, there were the Rangers and Bruins. Brutally bad, terrible defensively, you name it...they were bad at it. Some of the pieces were already in place when he took over, but his moves put us over the hump. The Ranger teams of that era were some of the best in Ranger history...even though they didn't win the Cup. The Garden was a special place to be in the early 70s. You all know the names: Gilbert, Ratelle, Hadfield, Howell, Park, Giacomin, Vickers, Tkaczuk, Fairbairn, Villemure (I know I'm leaving some out).
Looking at photos of him behind the bench in that era is strange. Usually, he was the only coach back there, unlike today when it sometimes seems there are more coaches, medical and equipment managers than there are players. Francis handled everything: defensive changes, line changes, everything.
He eventually came to realize that being a coach as well as GM was two herculean a task and he was always trying to replace himself as coach: Bernie Geoffrion, Larry Popien, Ron Stewart. But all failed and he always was forced to take over again.
The Ranger teams of the Francis era followed a classic bell curve. Slow development, reaching a peak, and then, deteriorating as age took its toll. Eventually he was replaced, as even the most successful are.
The Cup winning team of 94 is my all time favorite team. I loved the black and blue Rangers of the Torts era. The current team, for all it foibles, seems to find ways to win that are endearing. The Lundqvist era certainly ranks as one wonderful time even though, again, there wasn't a Cup. But, if you were a young, hardcore fan during the Francis era, you hold the Francis era teams special. And that includes its coach and GM.

Great post! I sat up in the blues not far from the Chief during that era.

My buddy and I would work all summer to afford the tickets and then would subway into games from Queens.

What great teams they had….

Reactions: leetch99

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Furthermore, many of his players are in the rafters and deservedly so. But, ANYONE who is a lifelong Rangers fan probably feels he should be up there as well. That is where he belongs. With them, just like it was in the 70's.

Ive always been confused as to why they never honored him. They dont even need to take a number off the availability list, just put his name up there. Kinda past the point now though, having all of this time in his long life to honor him pre-mortem

But yeah, this is another big hit for sure. Losing Gilbert really stunned me, as I considered him a friend. But Emile was just as much a Ranger lifer as Rod, maybe even more so in some ways. Legendary Ranger.

RIP Emile

Reactions: Larrybiv

RosensRug

Oct 1, 2020
Ive always been confused as to why they never honored him. They dont even need to take a number off the availability list, just put his name up there. Kinda past the point now though, having all of this time in his long life to honor him pre-mortem

But yeah, this is another big hit for sure. Losing Gilbert really stunned me, as I considered him a friend. But Emile was just as much a Ranger lifer as Rod, maybe even more so in some ways. Legendary Ranger.

RIP Emile

This always confused me as well, the Islanders did it right by raising a Torrey and Arbour banner for their contributions to the organization. No reason why we couldn't have done the same.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Have never hid my legit, warranted contempt for this overrated authoritarian who, among other bad deals, dealt Park + Ratelle for Espo + Vadnais, and did it basically because he could, and he wanted to send a message to the rest of the squad.

There was no good, tactical advantage achieved by Emille's folly.

I know first hand Rod Gilbert agreed with me on this.
RIP gentleman Rod

overrated Cat can fade into ignominy he deserves

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino