Silfverberg
Smith-Pelly
Palmieri

LW
Maroon
Cogliano
Etem
Winnik

Why would we need to trade either of those?

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
No issue with Etem's development, it seems like he's taken a step forward at both ends of the ice in his play.

Also we're not trading him if he doesn't crack next seasons roster, this isn't a boom or bust situation. Nothing wrong with another season in the AHL if that happens, worked fine for Nyquist and unlike Holland, Etem has shown good things at the NHL level as well.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
He would have played a full year this season if not for our depth. He has the strength and the defensive ability to be an everyday player. There's no reason not to keep him up permanently. Another year in the AHL will do nothing for his growth. The only way he'll get better now is by getting more experience in the NHL. If Murph thinks Smith-Pelly and Palmieri are above him then he'll be traded. One way or the other he'll be a full-time player next season. I really don't see why it should be any other way.

Again, i don`t agree with you. If he`s not a clear cut NHL`er (which he still kind of isn`t), he can learn in AHL. Just for example Gustav Nyquist played 2 seasons splitting time between AHL and NHL, before errupting this season. Both seasons he saw almost 60 games in A (both seasons over PPG winger) and 20 games in NHL (without any spectacular point pace). It`s just an example, but imo it shows that you can stay in A a bit longer and still not ruin your career but actually improve. Etem right now have 1 mediocre season in AHL, 1 good/great one (this year), 2 average ''seasons'' in NHL and 1 great and 1 below average (current one) playoff runs in NHL. He`s far from proven everything.

CENTERS
Getzlaf
Bonino
Perreault
Rakell

RW
Perry
Silfverberg
Smith-Pelly
Palmieri

LW
Maroon
Cogliano
Etem
Winnik

We also will have Jackman and Beleskey, but we have to realise injuries happen (and quite a lot, unfortunately). This is a good list and i really hope we`ll bring back Winnik even with all the young wingers coming up.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
We'll also have Karlsson, Friberg, Wagner, and Kerdiles starting to push for spots as well. Noesen will be back from his injury. Depth is good, stupid to trade it away just because you're sick of sending someone back to the AHL.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
Again, i don`t agree with you. If he`s not a clear cut NHL`er (which he still kind of isn`t), he can learn in AHL. Just for example Gustav Nyquist played 2 seasons splitting time between AHL and NHL, before errupting this season. Both seasons he saw almost 60 games in A (both seasons over PPG winger) and 20 games in NHL (without any spectacular point pace). It`s just an example, but imo it shows that you can stay in A a bit longer and still not ruin your career but actually improve. Etem right now have 1 mediocre season in AHL, 1 good/great one (this year), 2 average ''seasons'' in NHL and 1 great and 1 below average (current one) playoff runs in NHL. He`s far from proven everything.

It's not about being proven, it's about being ready. He was ready this year, we just had too many forwards on one-way contracts. He had no business spending so much time in the A this year but he took it in stride and dominated. Once a player is a point-per game in the minors and is physically strong enough to handle the speed of the NHL he needs to be a regular to take that next step. If we want him to develop into a strong NHL player he needs to be playing in the NHL.

Ducksgo*

That's a silly benchmark. Etem was not dominant in the AHL. Vatanen actually was, but I wouldn't call him ready, either. You should watch instead of just picking arbitrary cutoffs.

I say over a PPG pace in the AHL against adults is pretty damn dominant. Don't know what more you can ask for regarding that term being used.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I say over a PPG pace in the AHL against adults is pretty damn dominant. Don't know what more you can ask for regarding that term being used.
You can ask for a player to actually dominate. A threat every time he's on the ice, a mismatch to everyone he plays against. That's not Etem - he's an opportunistic player who can make an opponent pay for a mistake and plays well with creative linemates. He doesn't create all that much himself.

Craig Janney had some amazing years in terms of points, and nobody would call that guy dominant. It's not just points.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
That's a silly benchmark. Etem was not dominant in the AHL. Vatanen actually was, but I wouldn't call him ready, either. You should watch instead of just picking arbitrary cutoffs.

For once I agree with ducksgo here bud.

Etem and smith Pelly were by far our best forwards

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
They were our best forwards, true. That doesn't mean either was dominant, or that either was definitely ready to make the full time jump.

I agree with this. It'd also be different if they were tearing it up when they were recalled. Until DSP's last game, both had been "okay" since their recall. They didn't exactly show they had to stay IMO.

I don't think it's a stretch to call them NHL players, but I also don't think it's going to hurt them in the minors. I'd argue that DSP is more ready than Etem. And no, that's not because of this last playoff game.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
CENTERS
Getzlaf
Bonino
Perreault
Rakell

RW
Perry
Silfverberg
Smith-Pelly
Palmieri

LW
Maroon
Cogliano
Etem
Winnik

He's a free agent and I don't expect him back personally.

At some point, you need to add more experienced players IMO. Right now our forward line up is probably something like this:

Beleskey - Getzlaf - Perry
Palmieri-Perrault-Etem
Siflverberg - Bonino - Cogliano
Maroon - Rakell - DSP
Jackman

I don't mind having young players in the lineup, but there's zero reason we shouldn't add a player this offseason that helps improve our top 6. I expect one of: Beleskey/Etem/Palmieri/Silfverberg/DSP to be moved, and another to be demoted. Not sure who will be moved, but gotta think Etem is the odd man out again as far as demotion goes.

Ducksgo*

He's a free agent and I don't expect him back personally.

At some point, you need to add more experienced players IMO. Right now our forward line up is probably something like this:

Beleskey - Getzlaf - Perry
Palmieri-Perrault-Etem
Siflverberg - Bonino - Cogliano
Maroon - Rakell - DSP
Jackman

I don't mind having young players in the lineup, but there's zero reason we shouldn't add a player this offseason that helps improve our top 6. I expect one of: Beleskey/Etem/Palmieri/Silfverberg/DSP to be moved, and another to be demoted. Not sure who will be moved, but gotta think Etem is the odd man out again as far as demotion goes.

Would be really disappointed if it was Etem the odd man out. He hasn't even had a solid shake regarding a full season yet.

Silf and Palms have. And Silf being the worst of the bunch.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Silfverberg has been a regular on the shutdown line, and isn't horrible at it. I think they want to give him a summer with the skating coach and to get his wrist to 100%, and may well see him as the replacement for Winnik in that role. He's nowhere near as good, but the shutdown line hasn't been horrible with him on it. Regardless, he's the most defensively aware and responsible player on that list of potential moves/demotions.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Would be really disappointed if it was Etem the odd man out. He hasn't even had a solid shake regarding a full season yet.

Silf and Palms have. And Silf being the worst of the bunch.

Silf isn`t the worst of them

Actually in the first round Silfverberg played in all games, averaging 14 and a half minutes per - good for 5th on the team forwards, behind obvious Getz, Perry, Bones and Cogs.

Silfverberg averages 3d most PK time among forwards on the team.

In 1st round
Palmieri 4 games 10:17 minutes average
Etem 2 games 8:59 average
Smith Pelly 5 games 12:49 average

---
Silfverberg is in a position to play tougher defensive minutes than the rest mentioned, so no surprise he doesn`t get any flashy offensive plays right now, but he`s been playing good for the role he`s being put. And if you look at the ice time, it shows in who BB right now trusts more.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00