Recalled/Assigned: Emergency Call Up- Mikey Dipietro

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Confirmed that Demko tweaked something during pre game vs Philly. He stayed on the bench as a backup.

Green confirmed that Dipietro has been called up on an emergency basis and will backup Markstrom tomorrow in Washington

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Demko just cant catch a break!

Concussion and now lower body injury at a season where he was supposed to get opportunities in net in Van.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
He's 1 Markstrom injury away from challenging Hart for 3rd or 4th place calder vote

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
How do you get caught with one healthy pro age goaltender under contract? This quite a bumble even by our standards. Markie has to play every game now lol, and ptos will handle duties in Utica. What a disaster...

Reactions: mossey3535

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
How do you get caught with one healthy pro age goaltender under contract? This quite a bumble even by our standards. Markie has to play every game now lol, and ptos will handle duties in Utica. What a disaster...
Bachman injured his Achilles. They wanted to get Demko up so did a goalie swap. Then Philly ran into a goalie injury crunch and claimed the return.
Now Demko tweaks his groin.

Markstrom is going to have to run with it for a while. Did almost the same with Lack in 2014 after Lu was traded and in 2006 with Auld.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Are we officially calling him Mikey now? I prefer Michael. Mikey is ok while you’re in the OHL but sounds weird past the age of 20.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
This was months ago now. I;m not sure why we're hoarding five contract spots but I'm open to suggestions?
It’s not the contract spots as much as they don’t want to part with a draft pick for a goalie.

You’ve seen this board and how crazy they get about draft picks. To use one for a AHL goalie?

Probably waiting in the hopes that with Stolarz back and Hart winning, with I’m assuming Lyon in The Ahl that the Flyers send MCKenna down full time and they can claim him back.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Probably waiting in the hopes that with Stolarz back and Hart winning, with I’m assuming Lyon in The Ahl that the Flyers send MCKenna down full time and they can claim him back.
Yeah, I've been sort of assuming this would play itself out eventually but it's starting to look like they're set on doing a Frankie Corrado thing with McKenna and just unreasonably hoard him for the balance of the season. Canucks should have filed a complaint with the league around the 'conditioning stint' to sweat them a bit imo, no respect.

Any idea what Kari Lehtonen is doing these days?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Great to see DiPietro wearing a ball-cap on the bench and soaking up the NHL experience.

But let's be objective here. This whole goalie situation is testament to how badly Jimbo dropped the ball on this one. Before the trade with Ottawa came down, he should have insisted that the Sens put McKenna on waivers first. Then if he clears, you go ahead and do the Nilsson trade.

Unfortunately for him, McKenna gets claimed; Bachman is done for the season; and the only two goalies in Utica are on AHL contracts. Now he might have to beat the bushes trying to find a qualified NHL backup if Demko is out for any length of time.

And if Markstrom goes down, then it's down to DiPietro as the starter with Chris Levesque as the backup.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
What a ridiculous situation this is. This debacle isn’t worth the 7th round pick we got for Nilsson.
The only other option to get Demko up would have been to waive Nilsson and send him to the AHL. The Flyers currently have a cap hit team wise of under $72 million. So, getting Demko up still might have meant that they claimed Nilsson in stead.

So, this is the price to bring Demko up when they did. And he played in 1 game since.....

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
There are no good excuses for this. You don’t remove pieces from your roster for a rookie goaltender who has had injury issues recently. Especially while leaving zero capable goaltenders on any of your farm teams in case he gets injured again.

This is like having an unpaid intern as the only fill in for your VP of Sales because you gave your Director of Sales to your competitor for a magic bean and forgot to hire anyone else.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
There are no good excuses for this. You don’t remove pieces from your roster for a rookie goaltender who has had injury issues recently. Especially while leaving zero capable goaltenders on any of your farm teams in case he gets injured again.

This is like having an unpaid intern as the only fill in for your VP of Sales because you gave your Director of Sales to your competitor for a magic bean and forgot to hire anyone else.
Check out the Comets thread. We've been joking about this happening for several weeks now. This was bound to happen; thing is, with a whopping five contract slots open there's zero excuse for it.

Reactions: PM

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
just ****ing sign leighton or lehtonen or hiller or some ****
Leighton is the other goalie in Utica. The same guy who was the Flyers goalie in the 2010 finals?

I would guess that if they got to the point where Markstrom would not start them they would sign him to a contract.

Not sure why the Canucks are waiting. MCKenna was sent down for conditioning by Philly in Jan 30. He’s only allowed to be there for 3 games or 6 days. Should be near an end shortly.

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
I;m not sure why we're hoarding five contract spots but I'm open to suggestions?
1. Hughes
2. Lockwood
3. LW/D NCAA
4.LW/D NCAA or TDL
5. TDL

If they think demko injury is minor theres no problem with this, it saves a spot for potential moves. DiPietro has also been having a rough time with Ott, this helps him too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad