Emergence of Other Offensive D-man and Erik Karlsson

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Ok with Karlsson being a generational talent, but the best player in the NHL? Aren't we going too far with this? One of the most exciting, highly efficient but there's a bunch of mega stars in the NHL that should be considered as much if not more than Karlsson :

Malkin, Stamkos, Crosby, Ovechkin, Datsyuk, Lundqvist, Rinne, Giroux, Zetterberg, Kovalchuk, Quick, Chara, Weber, Suter, Toews, Parise...

* not talking about guys like Selanne, Jagr, Brodeur, Pronger and Lidstrom for obvious reasons (age)

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Malkin, Stamkos, Crosby, Ovechkin, Datsyuk, Lundqvist, Rinne, Giroux, Zetterberg, Kovalchuk, Quick, Chara, Weber, Suter, Toews, Parise...
What? At the very least any forward that is put ahead of Karlsson must have more points than him. EK still has to repeat last season a few times to put himself solidly in the top 5, so yes he's not the best.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Ok with Karlsson being a generational talent, but the best player in the NHL? Aren't we going too far with this? One of the most exciting, highly efficient but there's a bunch of mega stars in the NHL that should be considered as much if not more than Karlsson :

* not talking about guys like Selanne, Jagr, Brodeur, Pronger and Lidstrom for obvious reasons (age)

Karlsson is a generational talent and better/more valuable than the bolded ones aboves. I won't put goalies in the same category as skaters either. They are in their own category and King Henrik is the best of the bunch (but not a generational talent like Roy, Hasek, or Brodeur).

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
To me, for Karlsson, it's not even about the points. It's just the way he covers the whole ice. He'll lead a rush, then the puck goes the other way, then, somehow, he's the first person back breaking up a play. He's so smart about it too, when he's rushing back, it's not because he made a mistake, it's because he knows he can get away with it.

He's a special player, and he plays like he knows he's a special player. There's no other defenseman like him in the NHL right now, not even close. There are other defenseman who are very solid, like Pie, but they are good because they are very smart, safe and sound in a traditional sense. But there's a limit to how much of an impact players like this can have. Karlsson just breaks all the rules and gets away with it. I really think he will be unanimously recognized as hands down the best player in the NHL in a couple years, with a small chance of an Art Ross at some point in his career.

Sens91

Mar 16, 2011
Nowhere near the same player, yet at least, but if anyone wants to see someone play rover, tune in to TSN tonight at 9:30 lol, Schultz definitely fits that bill.

EDIT: After the Sens game of course

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Karlsson has been on the ice for zero goals against this season.

How many goals against has Pietrangelo been on the ice for this season? More than one you say? That's what I thought.

:sarcasm:

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
Pains me to say it, but as long as the Leafs don't rush Rielly I think he could eventually give Karlsson a run for his money in terms of points by a defenceman. The kid is special. Wouldn't shock me to see him get some 60+ point seasons in the NHL.

WhiteLight*

Pains me to say it, but as long as the Leafs don't rush Rielly I think he could eventually give Karlsson a run for his money in terms of points by a defenceman. The kid is special. Wouldn't shock me to see him get some 60+ point seasons in the NHL.

He's NEC to ppg in the WHL. I think you're way off lol

WhiteLight*

To me, for Karlsson, it's not even about the points. It's just the way he covers the whole ice. He'll lead a rush, then the puck goes the other way, then, somehow, he's the first person back breaking up a play. He's so smart about it too, when he's rushing back, it's not because he made a mistake, it's because he knows he can get away with it.

He's a special player, and he plays like he knows he's a special player. There's no other defenseman like him in the NHL right now, not even close. There are other defenseman who are very solid, like Pie, but they are good because they are very smart, safe and sound in a traditional sense. But there's a limit to how much of an impact players like this can have. Karlsson just breaks all the rules and gets away with it. I really think he will be unanimously recognized as hands down the best player in the NHL in a couple years, with a small chance of an Art Ross at some point in his career.

This. Very well said.

Even on Monday he didn't play that well. But on the PK he breaks up that pass at the blueline and goes in on the breakaway. And his goal tonight.

When he does stuff like that, I say ''who does that?'' No one. No one does that. It's insane. Breaks all the rules and gets away with it... very well said.

Hasn't been on for even strength goal against despite taking these ''risks''... but they're not really risks for him, he just knows what he's doing.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

He's very very good, I agree with you but Karlsson is the youngest to win the Norris since Orr. Karlsson is a generational talent. The chances of Rielly becoming one is one in a million.

Karlsson absolutely destroyed the WJC in his draft year. Best defender and it wasn't close. Rielly was HORRIFIC when faced against tougher teams.

Yes I do agree that WJC is small sample but if you expect to be generational talent I sure hope you perform average let alone amazing. I do agree Rielly has 60 point potential but I'd wage anything he doesn't get more than that. I'd be SHOCKED if he even reaches it.

WhiteLight*

He doesn't play on a very good team. If you actually watch him play and don't stat watch you see the elite potential. If he can improve his clapper he'll have the full arsenal at his disposal. Kid is dynamic. I stand by what I said.

He's meh even when you watch him. Like you say his shot isn't very good... pretty much impossible to score 60+ points with no shot.

Dynamic =/= 60+ points. Lots of players are dynamic with their skating and even the puck skills but they don't rack up the numbers.

Honestly not a fan of Rielly, Leaf bias aside. Rich man's JM Liles

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
He's very very good, I agree with you but Karlsson is the youngest to win the Norris since Orr. Karlsson is a generational talent. The chances of Rielly becoming one is one in a million.

Karlsson absolutely destroyed the WJC in his draft year. Best defender and it wasn't close. Rielly was HORRIFIC when faced against tougher teams.

Yes I do agree that WJC is small sample but if you expect to be generational talent I sure hope you perform average let alone amazing. I do agree Rielly has 60 point potential but I'd wage anything he doesn't get more than that. I'd be SHOCKED if he even reaches it.

I'm just talking offensive ability. I don't think he'll be as good as EK defensively since EK just gets better in his own zone all the time. The Leafs will work on him with his shot. It's easier to improve your slap shot then it is to develop amazing hockey sense like Rielly has.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
I'm just talking offensive ability. I don't think he'll be as good as EK defensively since EK just gets better in his own zone all the time. The Leafs will work on him with his shot. It's easier to improve your slap shot then it is to develop amazing hockey sense like Rielly has.
Dude. Chris Phillips still doesn't have a good slapshot, and it's been 16 years.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
Dude. Chris Phillips still doesn't have a good slapshot, and it's been 16 years.

Didn't ever seem like it was that high on his priority list to improve it lol. He had a lot to learn defensively when he came up as you know and seemed like he left his offense in the rearview mirror to concentrate pretty much exclusively on his D zone play.

Rielly is a pure offensive guy. The Leafs would be stupid not to put time and effort into his shot. It'll pay off massively in the long run.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

You underestimate the ability to improve someone's shot. Rielly has NO shot right now and to think he'll be able to all of a sudden get one and improve on it to become a strength is just as difficult as learning the defensive side of the game. At the age of 17 and Karlsson was already scoring OT slapshot winners with a clear lane to the net from the blue-line in the SEL.

Regardless, you have to be good defensively to be able to create chances offensively. Reason why Karlsson gets SO much points, which is commonly overlooked, is because he is amazing at stripping the opposing team's forwards and countering it for more possession and more chances to score/get points.

The weaker you are defensively, the more you'll be hemmed in your own zone, the less possibility you'll have to increase your scoring chances, the less amount of points you'll obtain and finally, the more chances you'll resemble M-A Bergeron.

QuietOnTheFront

@QuietOnTheFront
Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Until Karlsson retires I doubt we see a player who can skate with the puck like he can, he's a generational talent and could be the best player in the NHL and he is only getting better.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if he wins the Norris and Hart this year.

It's funny because I was having a conversation with my friend who's a Leafs fan and he said the exact same thing.

I think Karlsson is the best thing to happen to the Sens franchise. If he keeps up his play and carries it through to the end of the season, there is no doubt that the Hart trophy is within his reach.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
The only players in the league that can impact a game as much as Karlsson are Crosby and Malkin. Its insane and not fair what he does.

kaws

Apr 10, 2010
Seriously... What I saw tonight from Karlsson was all instinct. Primitive instinct mixed with elite skill. I don't know how but he just knew that the pass was going there and he just stayed put in that spot and with absolute easy, the puck landed right on his stick.
He made 3 Florida players stop dead in their tracks and sniped in the goal. If you watch the replay, the defenders just stood there blank until it was too late.

I mean... who the hell does that?? I was in awe..

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
That goal was ridiculous.

I was watching at a bar and everyone just looked flabbergasted.

How did that just happen?

He's like having a second centre on the ice.

His defensive play is becoming criminally underrated, and now we are seeing how lucky Kuba was by how Methot, who according to BJ fans was on their bottom pairing, is playing like a champion.

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa

His defensive play is becoming criminally underrated, and now we are seeing how lucky Kuba was by how Methot, who according to BJ fans was on their bottom pairing, is playing like a champion.

That goal was because he intercepted a breakout play, something few other defenders would try. It was also because the D (Kulikov) had a massive brain fart and Theodore left a huge hole for EK to hit. 99 times out of 100 that play is harmless.

--- but becasue EK does it so often, he does generate offense when nobody else can.

John Holmes*

Theodore had most of the net covered. He moved while Karlsson was shooting. He guessed wrong.

That play was sick though. I can't believe he was able to get to the net that fast.

It's one thing to pick off a pass and get a break when you are in full stride, but to pick off a pass, wait for a guy to get onside, still beat three defenders and shoot where a guy used to be...

That's genius.

Karlsson IS one of the best players in the league. He deserves to be in any conversation that includes Crosby and Malkin.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com

He covers the most ice in the league with his feet and he can do it with pass too. No one has quantified this yet and there's a decent chance he's tops in possession time too, how else do you run tops he league in giveaway+ takeaway.

His best impact on the game is something that gets overlooked, it's why we score a ton when he's on the ice. Defence fast, long time in offensive zone. Scoring plays come out of thin air.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com

I was floored. Don't think anyone else in the game would have done that, although some players can...there's a good chance they wouldn't have tried.

The plays he makes to turn the team back on offense are impossible to ignore and impact the game greatly. He's like a defensive back in the neutral zone waiting for a pick-6.

Not to mention, team in general is fast...they look like a swarm of bees but with structure. We haven't played anyone good yet but it's encouraging to see them dictate their style against what I assume to be lesser opponents.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
That goal was because he intercepted a breakout play, something few other defenders would try. It was also because the D (Kulikov) had a massive brain fart and Theodore left a huge hole for EK to hit. 99 times out of 100 that play is harmless.

--- but becasue EK does it so often, he does generate offense when nobody else can.

We should start to agree with the rest of HFboards, EK is a 4th forward.

And they should admit that the Sens have an unfair advantage because he is a 4th forward while also playing at defense.

He is worth 2 players when he is on the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad