Emelin in trouble : Varlamov, too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mackee

Oct 9, 2003
Montreal
Bileur said:
Thats a weird comment. His action was bad but its not like it was premeditated. He got hit in the head with a puck after the whistle and snapped. I would have snapped too.

From what I've heard about him, he has a little bit of a temper. Then again, I do think most of us might have done the same thing. I just hope this sort of thing doesn't carry over with him to North America.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Looks like a crosscheck to the neck if you ask me:

h ttp://rapidshare.de/files/16258552/2006.03.23_MGN_LADA_varlamov-emelin.avi.html

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
BooBlancRouge said:
From what I've heard about him, he has a little bit of a temper. Then again, I do think most of us might have done the same thing. I just hope this sort of thing doesn't carry over with him to North America.

Well getting a defensemen touted as "a Kasparaitis" you should expect a temper. I mean you cant have a nasty crushing defensemen who also wins the lady byng. Tough physical play and a temper often go hand in hand that being said it would be preferable if he doesent do this again. :)

THECHFAN

Aug 2, 2005
i see something like a punch and the butt of his stick hit the front of the guys

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
I dunno what to think... This kind of thing happens every night in the nhl but there's two thing I hate in the incident. First, Varlamov does not seem to skate in Emelin's direction to fight. Second, Varlamov is hurt and I always hate to see people getting hurt.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
franchise player said:
I dunno what to think... This kind of thing happens every night in the nhl but there's two thing I hate in the incident. First, Varlamov does not seem to skate in Emelin's direction to fight. Second, Varlamov is hurt and I always hate to see people getting hurt.

Its not that spectacular of a stick swing, but watching Varlamov go down in what seems to be slow motion is scary.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
gars59 said:
hum i dont know , you play baseball with our punch :sarcasm:

it was a punch and not a stick-swinging incident.

RussianProspects Hockey's Future Staff said

According to a number of reliable witnesses, it was a punch NOT a stick. Varlamov skated over, LIKELY to apologize, no one said whether he said anything before the punch, so we don't know. But apparently the shot came after the wistle and Varlamov raised his arms as if "I didn't mean it - sorry" and then skated over. The rest is in the news brief on RP and I won't rehash it again. Hope this helps.

Again, this was not a stick hit, or a hit from behind, so wouldn't compare to Perezhogin or Bertuzzi. It was an undisciplined and malicious thing to do. I'd say it more compares to that baskeball incident when Houston's coach (forget his name) back when he was a player got nailed in a face by another player (Washington I think). He got hit so hard he had a concussion, brain fluid leakage, etc. Hopefully this isn't as serious - but it is just a hard punch.
rudy tomjanovich and kermit washington. they are now friends. at that time NBA teams had enforcers, too.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
I don't get the clip. Was Emelin hit in the face by the slapshot after the whistle?

Regardless, that was a dumb **** move by Emelin and I do hope he gets a lengthy suspended. Sometimes that kid carries too much of an edge and we can see what it can result to now.

Geez, I hope Varlamov is okay.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Wow, didn't look that bad. I think I see hits like that all the time. Maybe the impact is different, but those "both hands and stick to the face" hits happen a lot. It must have twisted his neck somehow or something.

Hope he's OK and I hope Emelin learns something. I hate to see long suspensions (well, obviously bad injuries as well), especially on promising and semi-promising prospects, but also it would be wrong to let this go unpunished or not properly punished.

It's not as bad as Perezhogin or Bertuzzi. Especially not the hit, maybe the result is...

Default101

sorry guys but if the whistle blew and i was trying to find out what was going on if i was staying on the ice or getting off and where the faceoff was and all of a sudden i hear a guy take a shot and get hit in the face with the puck, i'd punch the guy in the face too if he approached me after, i don't know if thats just me, but hopefully that isn't career ending or life threatening, hate to see him get injured, but he deserved a punch in the face for it, thats what happens in the NHL if you shoot the puck more than 2 seconds after the whistle just too bad he got him in the neck and not in the jaw Emelin deserves a suspention, but shouldn't be a long one, if it was a stick swing i hope he gets banned from the league tho.

Andrei Kastsitsyn*

Boo-hoo.

if Varmalov wasn't hurt noone would be talking about this, just like Bertuzzi on Moore.

crakced

Mar 4, 2002
Saskatoon
Visit site
From wathcing the video it seems the circumstances were a bit weird for this to occur. First off, Emelin was already on the ground, the whistle went and Varlamov shot the puck from the point and it hit an already on the ice Emelin (not sure why he was already on the ice). So without seeing a better camera angle or ebing there to hear what Varlamov said, I'm suprised Emelin even knew it was him who shot the puck. Definetely was a split second reaction and a bad one (the butt-end/punch), but when I had first read about it I had imagined it differently. Emelin was definetly in a vulnerable position when he was hit, which probably further explains his reaction. Although it was still very wrong.

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
Like I said, this incident is not nearly as bad as I first thought. But it's still not nice to see things like that happen.

Danny__K

Oct 6, 2005
How is this a sucker punch?

Guy cheaps him out after the whistle. So he skates right over and pops him one.

Cheap shot? yes. Sucker punch? No

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Danny__K said:
How is this a sucker punch?

Guy cheaps him out after the whistle. So he skates right over and pops him one.

Cheap shot? yes. Sucker punch? No

Diffrence?

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Yemelin was suspended for 5 games but hearings aren't over. Only referee actions were discussed. Episode and punishment will be discussed later

Zaddik

Update: Sovetsky Sport reports that Varlamov gained his consciousness in the hospital. Magnitogorsk GM Velichkin told the newspaper that Varlamov suffered only severe concussion, no damage to his neck was found as was reported earlier.

yea that makes things sound better.

henri2014

Jul 30, 2005
Emelin was down because he got cross-checked, then he got hit on the head by the puck.

La Presse says that Varlamov injury is less serious that what was expected, im happy its only a concusion.

The good thing about that is it might help the habs get this prospect next year in the AHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->