Confirmed with Link: Elvis Signed to a 2 Year extension

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Both had arbitration rights and Jarmo indicates both contracts were negotiated based upon what they felt like an arbitrator might rule. Elvis might have a shorter body of work but the length of Korpisalo's body of work frankly hasn't been stellar. Clearly both agents agreed.

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
One might think this is a little steep for CBJ. But Jarmo knows talent when he sees it and his valuation of said talent tends to be correct. I am not a CBJ fan, but I certainly believe in both Jarmo and Elvis. My two cents.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
$4m for a half of season performance ? Risky move by Jarmo

Guys I must say that I really miss hockey, the league and CBJ :|

Im glad that Elvis got signed, was totally expected of course.

4 million dollars is a lot though, its a risky move.

Wow got more then Korpi? Yikes. That doesn’t send a good message.

I just dont know if Elvis deserves a contract much bigger than Korpi who’s been with CBJ a long time. Pretty much just for one good stretch of games. He was average in the beginning and average before the stoppage.

I’d probably be a bit salty if I was Korpi, the all star selected goalie.

Looks like we've got some...

suspicious minds.

Reactions: Madifer

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
This is all fine. 55% / 45% split with Elvis 1a and Korpi 1b. Korpi deal is tradeable to a team looking to get under the cap.

Look at our level of goaltending for $6.8m. And then remember Bob is getting paid $10m per.

Long term, no need to trade either guy yet, unless blown away by a trade. Gives VV and Tarasov a year to compete in Cleveland. Then, if one or both pans out, they can make a move around the Seattle draft - maybe Korpi gets traded to "steer" Seattle away from other guys. Who knows. Lots can happen. But the shortened/possibly-cancelled season didn't allow Jarmo to see both Elvis and Joonas down the stretch. So they lock up both to short-term deals, which is fine. Neither guy has shown they can be stellar for a full season. They've both shown flashes.

I think it's likely one gets moved by next summer, but even if not, I wouldn't be surprised. Nothing wrong with riding out a 1a/1b situation for a couple years.

Reactions: Madifer and rotsbu

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Elvis has a shorter amount of NHL work but has an impressive resume outside of the NHL including international play. If he flopped in the NHL obviously thats thrown out but since he didnt it becomes relevent.
We all know Torts is all about the hot hand so I dont think this says much about starter vs backup. It will still be a situation where their play determines that

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
Im happy with the moves as a whole. I’m also surprised that Elvis got that much more than Korpi but he’s got a substantial body of work. He isn’t exactly your typical work.

I would think that this could mean that Gavrikov’s contract will also be a higher amount than your typical 50 game rookie. As it should.

I don’t think there is much risk. We can pretty easily project the contracts that will he needed the next couple years and both goalies are easily movable if one pulls ahead.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Who would you consider Merzlikins comparables if it got to arbitration?

Korpisalo did have arbitration rights btw.

Binnington given their ages, first year regular season stats and minimal NHL experience. Minus the Cup of course:laugh:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Binnington given their ages, first year regular season stats and minimal NHL experience. Minus the Cup of course:laugh:

Yeah, that argument's probably not gonna go well in arbitration :) The 26 playoff games and a Cup are gonna matter.

I am genuinely curious who Elvis' arbitration comparables would be.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Yeah, that argument's probably not gonna go well in arbitration :) The 26 playoff games and a Cup are gonna matter.

I am genuinely curious who Elvis' arbitration comparables would be.

His regular season save percentage was similar to Binnington's. His GAA was higher, but if you toss out his miserable debut then it was on par.

Both were outstanding performers at their previous levels for the years prior to coming to the NHL.

I don't think that its far fetched at all. Who would you use?

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Im happy with the moves as a whole. I’m also surprised that Elvis got that much more than Korpi but he’s got a substantial body of work. He isn’t exactly your typical work.

I would think that this could mean that Gavrikov’s contract will also be a higher amount than your typical 50 game rookie. As it should.

I don’t think there is much risk. We can pretty easily project the contracts that will he needed the next couple years and both goalies are easily movable if one pulls ahead.

Gavrikov is not eligible for arbitration and he cannot be offer-sheeted. I think we'll get a pretty good but fair deal with him.

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
Looks like we've got some...

suspicious minds.

Well if we didn't then it would be the idiocy of today that we would be representing on this board.

And yes, Im fully aware how wrong and hypocrite this statements sounds.

But seriously now, Elvis did great and by far exceeded whatever the expectations there were, not only mine by many's; still 4 million is a bit too much imo.
Time could prove me wrong I guess or maybe even hope :я

Ps. All that projection about Korpi's psyche what some have posted here is quite interesting I guess.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Well if we didn't then it would be the idiocy of today that we would be representing on this board.

And yes, Im fully aware how wrong and hypocrite this statements sounds.

But seriously now, Elvis did great and by far exceeded whatever the expectations there were, not only mine by many's; still 4 million is a bit too much imo.
Time could prove me wrong I guess or maybe even hope :я

Ps. All that projection about Korpi's psyche what some have posted here is quite interesting I guess.

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018

I think 'assuming minds' would be a more appropriate song title considering how this thread has developed.. regrettably Elvis wasn't really aware about what was going to be posted here in 2020 so he failed to choose the name wisely, and not choosing something wisely can easily lead to a quick death as history had shown.

There you go... a whole new conspiracy about Elvis's end.. lets spread this :Р

See what kind of a dull boy Sadifer has become without the release of testosterone as it happens during hockey games :|

Now please tell me there will be hockey again this upcoming autumn. Pleeeaaaase :/
Or is this is the end..

Last edited:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I think 'assuming minds' would be a more appropriate song title considering how this thread has developed.. regrettably Elvis wasn't really aware about what was going to be posted here in 2020 so he failed to choose the name wisely, and not choosing something wisely can easily lead to a quick death as history had shown.

There you go... a whole new conspiracy about Elvis's end.. lets spread this :Р

See what kind of a dull boy Sadifer has become without the release of testosterone as it happens during hockey games :|

Now please tell me there will be hockey again this upcoming autumn. Pleeeaaaase :/
Or is this is the end..

it’s Reddit or maybe even 4chan ready

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
it’s Reddit or maybe even 4chan ready

Lets launch it then and reap whatever benefits we can, like controlling people's minds, 'teaching' them how to think etc ;o

Maybe we can even end up in the White House eventually, you could I mean, since I wasnt born in the US.
And my role would be being your grey cardinal which wouldnt even be new or anything considering the reality of today ;o

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Wow got more then Korpi? Yikes. That doesn’t send a good message.

A bit too much maybe but the right message. In order to stand on his head, Elvis needs to feel like he's trusted. Until he learns how to deal with it, he needs to be the guy. He's a good guy but he has his ego and he's a fragile personality so he's much better when he's THE guy.

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
A bit too much maybe but the right message. In order to stand on his head, Elvis needs to feel like he's trusted. Until he learns how to deal with it, he needs to be the guy. He's a good guy but he has his ego and he's a fragile personality so he's much better when he's THE guy.

I do not necessarily agree with this, I do think he likes attention but not like a narcissist would, who requires an excessive amount of admiration.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I do not necessarily agree with this, I do think he likes attention but not like a narcissist would, who requires an excessive amount of admiration.

I don't think he is. I think he needs trust and wants to be the guy...he did get a ton of admiration in Lugano and he enjoyed it, even played with it...but I wouldn't go as far as to claim that he "requires" it.

But getting that contract I'd imagine will certainly boost his confidence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->