Confirmed with Link: Elvis Signed to a 2 Year extension

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
How did he earn that? One year and he gets paid more than Korpisalo?

Because you can only go off of his one year of playing in the NHL, in which he has outperformed Korpisalo's best year. Since his experience is so low (NHL level at least) you can only go off of that rather than Korpisalo's whole body of work (which aside from this year, has been suspect).

Did he earn it? In some ways, yeah. Is it deserved? Probably not. But it's still a low salary and a short term commitment. All this does is say Elvis is the leader in the clubhouse, but to crown him as starter now, when the decision won't need to be officially made until next year, is jumping the gun.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
$4m for a half of season performance ? Risky move by Jarmo

Nope. No risk at all.

If Elvis is a stud. He's the goalie of the future and our starter. He'll get a longer term deal after the two years.

If Elvis is meh or bad. He'll be traded or left for the expansion draft. If he has no interest from either one, he'll be the backup for one additional year and then walk.

Zero risk. All reward. This isn't a long term thing unless Elvis turns it into that. 4 Million is cheap for a good starter, and expensive for a backup.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
$4m for a half of season performance ? Risky move by Jarmo
Risky for 2 years? Not with Elvis having arbitration rights and not with having already signed Korpi. They will continue to battle it out for the #1 spot, at a little cheaper cost than Bob alone on Bob's last year with CBJ. So the experimentation continues until 1 clearly emerges or they simply pull the trigger and trade 1 for help up front. Higher than expected but not out of the ballpark.

And sorry CBJWennberg10, just saw your post that beat mine; great minds think alike?:D

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
Guys I must say that I really miss hockey, the league and CBJ :|

Im glad that Elvis got signed, was totally expected of course.

4 million dollars is a lot though, its a risky move.

Reactions: lilfedor

rotsbu

Feb 14, 2020
As mentioned, this clearly implies Elvis has the leg up on being goalie #1. I hope Korpi takes this in stride/uses it as motivation. Can't help but wonder what would have happened had Korpi never gone on IR.

Reactions: Cowumbus

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I just dont know if Elvis deserves a contract much bigger than Korpi who’s been with CBJ a long time. Pretty much just for one good stretch of games. He was average in the beginning and average before the stoppage.

I’d probably be a bit salty if I was Korpi, the all star selected goalie.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Korpi should be upset with his agent, then, not Jarmo.

Elvis must have a good agent. If Korpi is salty, it's because his agent didn't negotiate hard enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->