Ellis should start Tuesday.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Thank you. Cam wasn't good in the first, but the team in front of him sucked beyond belief. They pulled it together for the second and third, and Ellis faced a hell of a lot less pressure than Cam did.

Cam's performance will be dealt with, but that will happen behind closed doors and in practice in a constructive way. Humiliating him and turning his performance and benching into a front page story would probably the absolute worst thing you could do.

For that matter, why on earth are people here under the impression that the only way a coach can hold a player accountable is by benching him? Sure, it happens, but it's a tremendously public and extreme course of action to take, and isn't something done lightly. And it would be an incredibly big overreaction to punish a guy for rust following the utter joke of a training camp teams had to deal with this year.

Get your logic off my board! :shakehead

Reactions: MinJaBen

Razputyn

Feb 24, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
Thank you. Cam wasn't good in the first, but the team in front of him sucked beyond belief. They pulled it together for the second and third, and Ellis faced a hell of a lot less pressure than Cam did.

Cam's performance will be dealt with, but that will happen behind closed doors and in practice in a constructive way. Humiliating him and turning his performance and benching into a front page story would probably the absolute worst thing you could do.

For that matter, why on earth are people here under the impression that the only way a coach can hold a player accountable is by benching him? Sure, it happens, but it's a tremendously public and extreme course of action to take, and isn't something done lightly. And it would be an incredibly big overreaction to punish a guy for rust following the utter joke of a training camp teams had to deal with this year.

All good points.

I don't think Cam should be riding the pine on Tuesday, but I also don't think he should be excused for his poor game on Saturday (which may mean I slightly disagree with your #1). He'll pick it up.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
I'd rather play Cam, and hope he returns to the form he has held in the past (however brief it may have been) than play Ellis and hope he achieves a form he has never held at any level of professional hockey.

Razputyn

Feb 24, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
I'd rather play Cam, and hope he returns to the form he has held in the past (however brief it may have been) than play Ellis and hope he achieves a form he has never held at any level of professional hockey.

Dan Ellis was pretty damn good in Nashville for times. He has both a lower GAA and a higher save percentage than Ward does at any time in the NHL.

Now, there are arguments against both of those figures, but that is still a form he's held at the highest level.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Dan Ellis was pretty damn good in Nashville for times. He has both a lower GAA and a higher save percentage than Ward does at any time in the NHL.

Now, there are arguments against both of those figures, but that is still a form he's held at the highest level.

That was the product of playing behind a defense featuring 3 top pairing defensemen (Weber, Suter and Hamhuis).

I will concede that Ellis did at one time find some success in the NHL, but that success was more the team and defense he was playing behind rather than any competence on his part. His career since that time is a testament to that.

And since we ice a gong show of a defense (though Faulk-Pitkanen is looking good at the moment), we can not reasonably expect Ellis to acquire any previous success.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

Razputyn

Feb 24, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
Nashville fans would disagree. My roommate is a Preds fan and has no problem saying Ellis was one of the few goalies who sucked in Nashville.

I remember watching him for good stretches in Nashville where he was well above par. Even The Onion wrote an article about him. In the end, he was a good goalie.

Though I have to admit, his Twitter fiasco was bad.

EDIT: But mainly, that Onion article.

Last edited:

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I know this guy who posts on HF named Summer Ruutu and he says that Ward sucks and is overrated. This other poster MeleeRay agrees with him.

2 >>>>>> 1.

Conclusion: Ellis > Ward.

Except every knows not to take Summer Ruutu seriously, since somewhere along the line he became less "quirky and sarcastic" and more "bitter and angry". And Melee Ray believes Mexico should have multiple NHL teams, so...

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Dan Ellis is so good it took him half an AHL season on a pro-tryout contract to even get a consideration from an NHL team. Dan Ellis is so good he's on his 4th team in 4 years.

caniac247

Nov 1, 2006
Raleigh
Well if we are going to bench Cam for a game and make him 'work for it', then shouldn't we bench the whold damn team outside of Bowman, Dalpe, JStaal, Semin, and Joni?j

The whold damn team stunk. Us losing was not at the fault of Cam. Sure he should have had 2 of those 4, but this wasn't all on him.

So if we bench him for a ****** game, then you gotta bench the whold damn team for their ****** play.

Oenatzu

Chad-in-the-Box
Mar 7, 2010
@ice_chip

Ward will start home opener. Muller says expects bounceback game from veteran goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->