Speculation: Ellis’ upcoming contract

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
See the Dumba contract. That'd be fair/top end for an Ellis deal.

But again, the real key is that there must be no "NMC" during the expansion year in that contract. The Preds won't have any players who have NMCs, and Ellis is not worthy of an exception. They should maintain flexibility for expansion, and since Ellis is indeed currently their #4 defenseman, it would be nonsensical to effectively protect him in advance. 2 years from now - who knows, maybe he won't be #4 anymore and will ascend, or something else will happen... but as of today, he's clearly 4th-best and not a player we should have auto-protected.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
See the Dumba contract. That'd be fair/top end for an Ellis deal.

But again, the real key is that there must be no "NMC" during the expansion year in that contract. The Preds won't have any players who have NMCs, and Ellis is not worthy of an exception. They should maintain flexibility for expansion, and since Ellis is indeed currently their #4 defenseman, it would be nonsensical to effectively protect him in advance. 2 years from now - who knows, maybe he won't be #4 anymore and will ascend, or something else will happen... but as of today, he's clearly 4th-best and not a player we should have auto-protected.
I get the feeling that him being the 4th best defenseman in Nashville is difficult to leverage when he's a year away from UFA. He'd be higher than that on pretty much every other team's depth chart, and to some extent Nashville is going to be bidding against the market here.

I still think he'll sign with the Predators, but these young UFA extensions are treacherous affairs.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
been keeping an eye on Ellis for a few years now, and i think he has finally blossomed.

if he is the 4th best D on Nashville, colour me surprised. he looked great last year (aside from injury), and yeah, he disappointed in the PO's, but he was getting 25 minutes a night, on one of the top teams in the league. i will take him any time, despite his size. he may not overwhelm physically, but he is a very smart defender, and takes care of his own, effectively.

i take him on the Isles and sign him long term for $6.5-7 per year. a bit much, but that's the world of UFA's. given other players that have signed for that much (Kane, Fleury @ 7, & Henrique for 6), i see no problem with this.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
It better be something like this. $5.5-6.0M and absolutely no advantageous weighting/bonuses or NTC/NMC clauses is all that he is worth.

Ellis is a good player, but this talk of him getting $7M per is just utter nonsense. He's our #4 defenseman, he has some good attributes but also some warts. He could be a good #3 on some teams, and maybe #2 on some very very bad teams. But he's small, he's a little slow, has never scored 40 pts, and is coming off an absolutely ATTROCIOUS playoff performance. Anybody who thinks he is worth $7M per, frankly you can have him at that outlandish number next summer because I would let him walk UFA at that number.
I agree with you but i think Ellis is going to try to get as much as he can and he knows he can get a lot as an UFA next summer because of the need around the league for RH defensemen like him. His last contract was very team friendly and i doubt he will take another team friendly contract and not want a ntc etc....

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
I agree with you but i think Ellis is going to try to get as much as he can and he knows he can get a lot as an UFA next summer because of the need around the league for RH defensemen like him. His last contract was very team friendly and i doubt he will take another team friendly contract and not want a ntc etc....
To his last contract, it was given to him on potential alone. Poile does that a lot. He bets on players potential and most times they pay off. Hence ellis's last contract. He's was coming off a 27 point season by far his most productive season. He showed potential so poile offered him a 5 year 12.5 contract which wasn't far off from the numbers he put up. I wouldn't say it was a home town discount

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
Even if Josi takes a discount on his next contract, it will be minimum 9M.

Can the fit all of Subban (9M), Josi (9M) and Ellis (~7M) in?

Minimum 9M? I'd say it would be the MAXIMUM I would go with Josi.

Subban 9M

Josi 8years/64M extension (the John Carlson contract) 8Mper

Ellis 6 millions for 8 years.

Ekholm Will be up in 4 years only. Hes making 3.75M.

That makes an elite top 4 on D making
26.75M.

The Preds are in a great position.

The Ugly Truth

May 23, 2018
It better be something like this. $5.5-6.0M and absolutely no advantageous weighting/bonuses or NTC/NMC clauses is all that he is worth.

Ellis is a good player, but this talk of him getting $7M per is just utter nonsense. He's our #4 defenseman, he has some good attributes but also some warts. He could be a good #3 on some teams, and maybe #2 on some very very bad teams. But he's small, he's a little slow, has never scored 40 pts, and is coming off an absolutely ATTROCIOUS playoff performance. Anybody who thinks he is worth $7M per, frankly you can have him at that outlandish number next summer because I would let him walk UFA at that number.

Exactly. I think Nashville would be wise to try to unload Ellis for a promising forward.

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
His playoffs did not help his overall value. I loved him before, but he looked like a 2nd pairing defenceman in that series, not a 7 million dollar guy.

I think Nashville will need to address the #1C position if they want to win the cup. No I won't put the effort into back this up, and no, I don't hate Johansen. I just think that they will need better Cs to beat teams like Winnipeg, Vegas, Tampa, Toronto, Boston and San Jose moving forward. Ellis could be part of that push.

The Ugly Truth

May 23, 2018
His playoffs did not help his overall value. I loved him before, but he looked like a 2nd pairing defenceman in that series, not a 7 million dollar guy.

I think Nashville will need to address the #1C position if they want to win the cup. No I won't put the effort into back this up, and no, I don't hate Johansen. I just think that they will need better Cs to beat teams like Winnipeg, Vegas, Tampa, Toronto, Boston and San Jose moving forward. Ellis could be part of that push.

Johansen may not be flashy and he may disappear at times during the regular season, but he is a true 1C when it matters.

Not accepting when to move on from Rinne in a game or in a series is what cost the Predators the past two Stanley Cups. I expect that problem to be solved next year once Saros gets more starts.

Ellis for RNH?

The Ugly Truth

May 23, 2018
And how does that help the Preds at all?

Are you serious? Nashville could use RNH at centre and don't need Ellis.

While they "lost" the Seth Jones - Ryan Johansen trade, it still made sense, as they were trading from a position of strength for a position of need. Ellis for RNH would be the same.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
Are you serious? Nashville could use RNH at centre and don't need Ellis.

While they "lost" the Seth Jones - Ryan Johansen trade, it still made sense, as they were trading from a position of strength for a position of need. Ellis for RNH would be the same.

Are you serious? How does RNH at 3C improve the Preds more than Ellis on the 2nd pairing? Turris is signed for 6 more years and he was good as the 2C last year, scoring at a 53 point pace in Nashville. And Bonino is just fine at 3C.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro

Joey had 14 points in 13 playoff games last year. What exactly could he of possibly done better to beat the jets? I think he did just fine as our 1c in the playoffs. He was coming back from an injury last year so his point total was a little down. I look for him to be around a 70 point player this year

The Ugly Truth

May 23, 2018
Are you serious? How does RNH at 3C improve the Preds more than Ellis on the 2nd pairing? Turris is signed for 6 more years and he was good as the 2C last year, scoring at a 53 point pace in Nashville. And Bonino is just fine at 3C.

Are you serious? Did you watch the playoffs last year? Turris was last seen on the back of a milk carton. If the police ever find him then the Predators can try him as 3C and put Bonino on the wing or vice versa. RNH would be 2C and the Predators would then have a set of centres that could each shift up one line in case Johansen was injured again.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
Are you serious? Did you watch the playoffs last year? Turris was last seen on the back of a milk carton. If the police ever find him then the Predators can try him as 3C and put Bonino on the wing or vice versa. RNH would be 2C and the Predators would then have a set of centres that could each shift up one line in case Johansen was injured again.

ArE yOu SeRiOuS? Did you watch the only 13 games RNH has ever played in the postseason in 16-17? Where he was terrible and got pushed around the entire time? At least Turris has a couple of good playoff runs in his career and is over .5 ppg career in the postseason. RNH put up good numbers on McDavid's wing last year, as everyone would, but he's never shown to be any better than Turris when playing center. You're way off here.

Let's just say your premise is correct and Hopkins is slightly better than Turris. Now you have theoretically very slightly upgraded 2C, upgraded 3C a decent amount and MASSIVELY downgraded 2RD. You go from 22+ minutes each night from Ellis to Yannick Weber in the top 4. Again, how does this help Nashville?

Last edited:

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Besides Joey Forsberg Arvi PK and the bonino line in the 1st round NO ONE ELSE played good

Reactions: triggrman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad