Sportsnet Elliotte Friedman's " 32 Thoughts " ( April 20 - 2024 )

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Lots of Bruins stuff this week.......nah just kidding. Once again - our team was not mentioned at all. :banghead:

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Let's see now.....the team is 6-0-0 and they have an unheralded rookie playing in the 2C spot but freaking Friedman still can't find anything to write about when it comes to the Bruins. :thumbd:

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Let's see now.....the team is 6-0-0 and they have an unheralded rookie playing in the 2C spot but freaking Friedman still can't find anything to write about when it comes to the Bruins. :thumbd:

Friedman understands his audience.

It’s like his mom always told him: If you can’t say anything shitty about the Boston Bruins, then don’t say anything at all.

He’s really not bad for the most part. But he knows who he’s writing for.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
He’s really not bad for the most part. But he knows who he’s writing for.
He's gotten much worse the last couple of years and now he's just like every other talking head on Sportsnet and TSN - they really don't care whether you like the Leafs, Blue Jays, Raptors or Argonauts or not because they're going to constantly shove them down your throat anyway.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
SHOCKING NEWS !!!!!!!! Friedman actually mentioned the Bruins this week - but it was for one of the more inane reasons ever. :shakehead

29. I have found the Bruins’ weakness: apparently, a number of their players love lime slush with beer.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Holy crap - Friedman actually mentions the Bruins for a 2nd straight week. I guess when the Leafs are imploding he is forced to look elsewhere to fill out his column.

24. Boston traded its first-rounders in 2020 and 2022. Their top selections those summers were Mason Lohrei (58th) and Matthew Poitras (54th). Pretty, pretty, pretty good. If you trade your firsts, you better hit big on a later pick. Both look tremendous.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I haven't read it yet but IIRC a Toronto fella on YouTube says that Friedman predicts that one or two Calgary defensemen may be going to the Leafs in trade? Zadorov, Hanafin, and Tanev. Later in the video he also mentions Kadri coming back lol? I tried to find the video but so far, no luck.

Reactions: Kegs

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I haven't read it yet but IIRC a Toronto fella on YouTube says that Friedman predicts that one or two Calgary defensemen may be going to the Leafs in trade? Zadorov, Hanafin, and Tanev. Later in the video he also mentions Kadri coming back lol? I tried to find the video but so far, no luck.
He doesn’t predict whatsoever - he “wonders if”. And Marek appropriately slaps him down that there’s no way that would be Treliving’s first major move as Toronto GM.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Every team that’s going to the playoffs will be calling Calgary.

Reactions: Gordoff

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Friedman put a new column on Sunday and he even mentions the Bruins as one of his Stanley Cup favourites. Really Elliotte - the team with the best record overall has a chance to win the Cup. Gutsy call Mr. Friedman.....gutsy call. :thumbu:

What I do check is my list of who I think can win the Stanley Cup.

At the start of the season, that was: Carolina, Colorado, Dallas, Edmonton, New Jersey, Tampa Bay, Toronto and Vegas.

Forty-five days into the season, four remain: Carolina, Colorado, Dallas and Vegas. The Hurricanes haven’t played great, but they’ll figure it out. Edmonton’s removal is self-explanatory. New Jersey and Toronto don’t defend yet as well as you need to, while Tampa’s going to need depth.

I’ve added four new teams: Boston, Florida, Los Angeles and the New York Rangers. The Bruins are nothing if not consistent, seemingly always in the right places, aided by a Jeremy Swayman-Linus Ullmark goaltending heater. The average NHL save percentage is .902. Swayman’s at .933, and Ullmark is one point lower. As of last Saturday, Swayman had given up exactly one “outside” goal all season. You’re not going to lose much with that.

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
Florida pitched hard last summer, and I think it was willing to offer more money than what had been reported. I’d seen $1 million or less, and although the Panthers couldn’t go as high as the Red Wings, I believe the number was higher than that. Boston, Buffalo, Colorado and Vegas were also in there, with the Bruins shielding their interest until late.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
After more Leafs talk Friedman actually found the time to mention the Bruins. :thumbu:

18. Brad Marchand knows when the media is looking for something juicy, and almost always delivers. What I also like is when he just talks hockey; he’s got a great mind for the sport and is a terrific teacher. Fluto Shinzawa asked why he took the morning skate last weekend in Toronto. Marchand replied he wanted to try some new sticks. When Kyle Bukauskas asked a bit more about it, Boston’s captain explained he’d experimented with a longer stick and therefore a stiffer flex, and was going back to what he knew. “Too many people in my head,” he said, laughing.

Marchand then scored the winner against the Maple Leafs and followed with a natural hat trick 24 hours later versus Columbus. Marchand also discussed adjustments he had to make to fit the Bruins’ new system. Asked to explain further, he said, “No!” — with a big smile — and then told us that coach Jim Montgomery made a change to their breakouts. It used to be about reading and reacting to each other.

With all of the changes, Montgomery demands more structure, and Marchand joked that there are times he wants to do things the old way, but the coach prefers this method until there is more familiarity. Honestly, I wish there was more time to discuss this stuff with players and coaches. Maybe I’m just asking bad questions.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Friedman must still be hungover from New Year's Eve as he only managed to put out 2 Thoughts for this column.......thankfully he still found the energy to write about the Leafs. :cheer:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad