News Article: Elliotte Friedman: Mike Futa leaving the Kings

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
We don’t know anything. We can speculate.

Futa may be the greatest thing since sliced bread. Who knows. Maybe it was Futa telling Deano to draft skill instead of size in the last few years of Deans employment.

Or maybe it was Futa stuck in the past drafting the same type of player that he was used to. We do not know.

Who is to say that Blake saw the NHL’s needs changing and wanted to go in the new smaller scale direction yet Futa was stuck in the past wanted to draft size and heart.

everyone has a shelf life. Everyone has a prime. Even in corporate affairs. Maybe Futa was trending down.

All we can do is speculate. We have no proof at this point to be absolutely mad at what happened. Maybe it is a mistake letting him go, maybe it will be the best move this franchise has ever made. I don’t see how people can get so worked up and so bent out of shape without being properly educated. We have had our best stable of prospects in 10 years. This has basically happened over the last draft. Yes I believe the Lord he is our best prospect but that was an easy pop up that a monkey could have picked.

if I am looking at any type of evidence it appears that we have pitch rather well over the last few years, and it has been the last few years they stop listening to Futa as much. I am not saying he did a bad job, I’m just saying there really is no evidence to support that he was doing an overwhelmingly good job.

We have been complaining about a team that is stagnant and doesn’t get rid of players in a timely fashion. We have complained about a stagnant front office picking within. And then they let some of the old guard go and some lose their minds. We can’t have it all folks. I am ready to move on and see what’s this front office can do. We have to at least give them a chance, and if the past year indicates anything, I would give them a passing grade

Last edited:

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Blake wanted Kubalik to start in the minors and prove himself right,you got that right! Kings were loaded with garbage on the LWing and they wanted Kubalik to start in the minors...good move by the Pseudo-GM...who gave this nitwit his job...bet most anyone can do the job he has done...personally like to see him fired for gross incompetence! Kings could've had a legitimate scoring Winger for Kopistar and not the slugs toiling for the Kings now and for the next 3-4 years I'm thinking!

Where do most 5th round picks who have never played North American pro hockey before EVER, usually start?

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Where do most 5th round picks who have never played North American pro hockey before EVER, usually start?
That's all the poker faced Blake could get? Just shows he got played...guess he should have upped the ante,cause lord knows he sure showed his mettle on the Pearson,Toffoli and Martinez deals...Hagelin,2 late second rounders from Vancouver and ditto from Vegas...smart guy eh? Should have promised a couple of things and giving (Kubalik)money like bonus monies or a promise to play on the first or second line...you know where slugs like Yafallo and Kovalchuk played...or replaced the other slug Brown with Kubalik...Brown is done put a fork in him...What a great signing...Lombardi was on glue just like Blake is now! Must have been all the Steroids Robby took kind of clouds your mind and makes you think you're bigger than you are

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
That's all the poker faced Blake could get? Just shows he got played...guess he should have upped the ante,cause lord knows he sure showed his mettle on the Pearson,Toffoli and Martinez deals...Hagelin,2 late second rounders from Vancouver and ditto from Vegas...smart guy eh? Should have promised a couple of things and giving (Kubalik)money like bonus monies or a promise to play on the first or second line...you know where slugs like Yafallo and Kovalchuk played...or replaced the other slug Brown with Kubalik...Brown is done put a fork in him...What a great signing...Lombardi was on glue just like Blake is now! Must have been all the Steroids Robby took kind of clouds your mind and makes you think you're bigger than you are

No, no, stay on point, You said Blake said Kubalik had to start in the minors, etc. I asked you specifically, WHERE DO MOST 5th ROUND PICKS START OFF, and actually, I was too generous, he was a 7th round pick.....so where do most 7th round picks who have NEVER PLAYED NORTH AMERICAN PROFESSIONAL HOCKEY, start off, can you name ANY OF THEM, who never played in the minors? Any of them?

As far as your other ramblings, actually, yea, he got 4 2nd rounders, and turned Hagelin into a pick as well, for spare parts of a rebuilding team....that's kinda what you do when you rebuild.

ricardfromage

"You wanted the Germs, you get em"
Mar 5, 2020
paradise
Kubalik refused to attend any camps with the Kings after he ran back to the Czech Republic. Not even development camp.

How many prospects avoid development camp?
Sorry for the long time between response.

So it is all spelled out in the article and in my post. Kubalik had signed obligations that he held as important. He had nothing against the Kings he just wanted to play for his country and finish his contract with his current team before playing in the NHL or he wanted to offer to allow him to play for his country and to take care of his prior obligations. I don't think anyone is to blame. The kid was a prospect who made a couple of decisions that didn't fit in with our needs so we moved on. I don't blame Blake for the way he handled that kid nor do I blame the kid. His NHL contract is different then the one we offered him giving him more of what he wanted/needed in order to play in the NHL. It happens all the time.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

So it is all spelled out in the article and in my post. Kubalik had signed obligations that he held as important. He had nothing against the Kings he just wanted to play for his country and finish his contract with his current team before playing in the NHL or he wanted to offer to allow him to play for his country and to take care of his prior obligations. I don't think anyone is to blame. The kid was a prospect who made a couple of decisions that didn't fit in with our needs so we moved on. I don't blame Blake for the way he handled that kid nor do I blame the kid. His NHL contract is different then the one we offered him giving him more of what he wanted/needed in order to play in the NHL. It happens all the time.

His NHL contract is different?How, because there are rules saying exactly what is allowed to be offered and what is not.

I do agree with you, there's no blame or fault, 7th round pick, did what he thought was right at the time, there's only one person making this a big deal, and he's avoiding this thread like the plague now.

Reactions: steepdrop

ricardfromage

"You wanted the Germs, you get em"
Mar 5, 2020
paradise
His NHL contract is different?How, because there are rules saying exactly what is allowed to be offered and what is not.

I do agree with you, there's no blame or fault, 7th round pick, did what he thought was right at the time, there's only one person making this a big deal, and he's avoiding this thread like the plague now.

His NHL contract is different then the one we offered him. Allowances where made in order for him to be able to meet his personal needs. It is all legal and good. We saw him as one thing someone else saw him as something else, like I said it happens all the time. I totally agree with your post btw.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
His NHL contract is different then the one we offered him. Allowances where made in order for him to be able to meet his personal needs. It is all legal and good. We saw him as one thing someone else saw him as something else, like I said it happens all the time. I totally agree with your post btw.

The only thing different then is WHEN it was made? Because like I said, CBA states you can only offer so much per year etc, entry level contracts are like that.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

Development camp is the first week of July. It didn't interfere with his European seasons.

His contract with Chicago is an ELC, identical to what the Kings could offer.

I don't blame Kubalik for not wanting to sign if he didn't want to. He should do what's best for him. But he visibly had no interest in signing with LA, when LA offered everything in writing they were allowed to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad